The Vegan Thread!

(Tristan Thomas) #121

(Liam) #122

I don’t really know what to do when faced with my dreams coming true. :astonished:

I wouldn’t blindly trust Domino’s on what they are saying. Domino’s always had vegetarian pizzas but they used same pizza cutters from meat and veg ones and very often found pieces of meat were found in supposedly vegetation pizzas and garlic breads.

(Andy Hughes) #124

How about some delish vegan recipes to tempt the tastebuds of us carnivores? Sure, I can Google recipes and probably find something good, but I’m interested in what you guys are eating (since you’re cool guys and your opinions are really valued!) :sunglasses:

(Bharat Kunwar) #125

I live in Bristol, UK and its becoming an incredible place for vegan food. It has an awesome vegan community too with regular meet ups. EDIT: also did I mention it has an amazing tech scene too?

(Colin Robinson) #126

crispy :mushroom: dal & coriander chutney

• 1 tin lentils
  • 100g red split lentils
  • 15g fresh root ginger
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 20g fresh coriander
  • 50g coconut cream sachet
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
  • 150g portobello mushrooms
    Plus olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar and vegetable oil
    Takes about 1/2 hour.
  1. Boil a kettle and preheat grill to medium high
  2. Peel and finely slice onions
  3. Put coconut :coconut: cream sachet in a mug and cover with boiled water to soften
  4. Fry 1/2 sliced onions with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes (until softened)
  5. Rinse red lentils under the cold tap
  6. Dissolve vegetable stock cube in 350ml boiled water
  7. Add curry powder to softened onions and cook for 1 minute
  8. Ad rinsed red lentils and canned lentils (no need to drain)
  9. Add the stock and softened coconut cream and stir for 15-20 minutes until all the water :droplet: is absorbed and the lentils are tender and porridge like in consistency - this is your dal

You’re halfway there!

1. Cut the portobello mushrooms :mushroom: into wedges
  2. Add them to a baking tray with the remaining sliced onions , drizzle with oil and season with salt. Line the tray with foil first to avoid mess?
  3. Stick them under the grill for 5-10 minutes until nicely charred (but not burnt)
  4. Peel and roughly chop or grate the garlic
  5. Same for the ginger (scrape the skin off with a teaspoon)
  6. Chop the coriander finely, including the stalks
  7. Make a smooth paste with the chopped garlic, chopped ginger, pinch of salt in a pestle & mortar (or food processor) then transfer to a mixing bowl
  8. Add the chopped coriander, rice vinegar, chilli flakes, pinch of sugar, and 3 tbsp olive oil and mix to combine - this is your coriander chutney
  9. Taste the dal for seasoning and add more salt/pepper as required. Add more boiled water to loosen the dal if necessary
  10. Several the dal in bowls top with the grilled mushrooms and onions and coriander chutney

Enjoy, cos it took me as long to type this as it will if you make it :yum:

(Andy Hughes) #127

This sounds SO good. I already know I’m going to enjoy it :grin:I’ll report back when I’ve tried it :ok_hand: Thanks!

(#savetheseabass) #128

Tins of lentils? Asda don’t do them. Can you just soak some lentils for a bit and use them?

Finally! I asked for recipes some 120 odd posts ago and got heehaw so thank you!

(Colin Robinson) #130

Found these (but you can soak your own if you want to)

(Marcel Ruhf) #131

Looks like they’ve launched.
I’m not vegan myself, but I’m still interested in how it tastes.

(Simon B) #132

Obviously cooking at home will be different but out in California (and I think a few other states) there’s an all vegan chain called Veggie Grill, and they make several kinds of burgers using Beyond Meat and they are delicious! So I’ll definitely pick some up and see if I can make something that tastes just as good :hamburger:

(Nate) #133

I like steak and bacon farrrrrrrr too much to even consider vegetarianism, never mind veganism.

(Steve Sharrott) #134

Would love to try them, but on Tesco’s website they are priced at an eye-watering £5.50 for two burgers!

(Valeri) #135

Yup, same. Can’t wait to go to Honest Burger and give them a try :slight_smile:

So this is a genuine question about veganism but why is eating plant based foods ok, is it because animals are more conscious creatures? Honestly not trolling but genuinely don’t get it

(Micky) #137

How do vegans feel about animal produces used in clothing? Such as leather, do vegan try to avoid leather?

(WY ) #138

I’m not a full on vegan myself but I’d say yes (I follow a few of vegan ‘influencers’)

From what I understand they will avoid animal products no matter where it is. So no leather jackets, silk shirts or beeswax lip balm etc.

(Ben ) #139

So on the Beyond Meat burger; Honest Burger restaurants have started selling these as their Vegan option - which is amazing frankly for a burger shop to have 2 veggie/vegan suitable options.

I’m not a Vegan, but my other half is a Veggie - and she was accidentally served the Beyond Meat burger instead of the Veggie Fritter burger. Literally after one bite she was like “I’ve been given meat”. So it had her fooled as actual meat.

I tried a bite of it - and I would say the texture is a very good replacement of a moist meaty burger - unlike veggie fritters, which can be a bit dry/like stuffing (?) - it remains moist - and unlike Quorn mince - it doesn’t just go a bit mushy. So a texture that would genuinely compete against a good meat burger texture.

Flavour wise, it’s like a smoky/caramelised sweet base. Almost like a “deeper” smoky bacon crisp flavour - but not ‘beefy’. Perhaps more sweet than I would have expected

Overall, as a meateater, I could see myself eating these - although I don’t necessarily like the flavour (prefer the “fritter” types of burgers on flavour) - but the texture does a great job at being a burger. It’s definitely a good one for people looking to reduce their meat intake though.

(P Burrows) #140

Hello,
Yep in a nutshell animals are sentient beings like you and I the only difference is they don’t talk! As they don’t want to die we choose not to participate in their deaths.

I would like to highlight a couple of other important reasons for choosing being vegan. The first being the effect animal agriculture has on the environment. In a nutshell if we all stopped eating animals and dairy global warming would be a much less serious issue. In fact it would almost come to a grinding halt! The other important reason is humans are not designed for eating meat and dairy so much so that our number one killer is heart disease. An over whelming majority of deaths caused by heart disease could have been avoided or even prevented by switching to a plant based whole foods diet.

Sorry I kind of over answered this question! But since you asked I thought I’d chime in! :grin: