The Vegan Thread!

I’d go Vegan in a heartbeat if I knew it would cause him intense pain in his scrotum.

3 Likes

That’s the news I wanted to hear. I’ve no real objection to veganism. I just don’t like a lot of the available food. If there’s something which tastes like something I like, I’ll go for it.

2 Likes

Just a quick note on the Greggs’ Vegan Saus Rolls - each one has 1/3rd of your recommended daily allowance of salt.

Not that anyone has ever used Greggs as Health Food - but worth being wary of.

For comparison there isn’t much difference:

Original sausage roll:

Vegan sausage roll:

2 Likes

It’s interesting that it’s arguably healthier in most ways except that it’s got a fair bit more salt than the meat equivalent. :thinking:

There isn’t much difference in absolute quantities, but the Vegan roll is 31.7% RI, and the Original is 26.7%.
Both would be considered High (red) on colour coded nutrition labels as they have >=1.5g/100g salt.

1 Like

Really interesting thread!

I’m vegetarian, although pretty much vegan as I don’t eat dairy (and just incidental egg). Originally started when an ex pressured me. They lasted a few weeks before going back to eating meat and I just carried on because I liked it.

I’m not really interested in meat anymore as most of the flavours I enjoy are from spices, herbs and vegetables. Often when someone says they like a meat dish it’s the spices and everything else that makes it special, and often that flavour can be reproduced without the meat.

Love the look of the crispy mushroom dal above. Here’s a recipe I’ve been making recently that still gets meat eaters excited. The original recipe has fried halloumi, which I replace with big chunks of mushroom or aubergine. Would be really nice with cauliflower, squash or chickpeas to add texture to the sauce.

VEGGIE / VEGAN TIKKA MASALA

INGREDIENTS

• 350g Mushroom, aubergine, cauliflower (your choice)
  • 250ml Oatly Organic Creamy Oat
  • 1 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot/Cube
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 5cm fresh ginger, grated
  • ½ fresh red chili, finely chopped
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • 2 tbsp tomato puree
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • ½ dl/0.2 cups flaked almonds, toasted
  • 4 tsp garam masala
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 1 pinch cardamom
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Olive oil

To serve:
Fresh coriander
Rice
Mango chutney

DIRECTIONS

In a dry pan, lightly toast flaked almonds until golden. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside for later.

Finely chop onion, garlic and red chili. Panfry with olive oil on a medium heat until soft, but not browned. Add grated ginger, garam masala, cinnamon and cardamom. Fry for a minute or two before adding chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock pot, tomato puree, ketchup, salt and lemon juice.

Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes before adding toasted almonds. Use a hand mixer or a blender to get the sauce completely smooth. Stir in Oatly Creamy Oat and leave to simmer on low heat.

In a separate pan, fry the diced vegetables until golden and slightly crisp and add it to the pan with tikka sauce.

Serve with rice, naan bread, fresh coriander and/or mango chutney.

Adapted from: https://liscusbylinda.com/recipe/vegetarian-halloumi-tikka-masala/

5 Likes

I’ve just become a vegetarian and I’m looking for inspiration for lunches/dinners.

Can anyone share any Vegan/Veggie friendly recipes that are relatively high in protein at all? I think that’s what I’m missing!

I eat of lot of chickpea or lentil based curries as a go to easy meal. ^^ If you can find a recipie you like then something like that can serve as a solid basic meal.

1 Like

I had a vegan meal the other night just to test the waters and to be honest I was blown away by the flavour, not sure if many of you have tried the Iceland no bull burgers but oh my! Was really really good thinking of putting this as a firm favourite on the meal planner :innocent:

3 Likes

Iceland’s “no [animal]” range is great. Really impressed by the burgers, both no bull and no chick

1 Like

Just had Iceland vegan Italian garden pizza. I will never eat any other pizza again, it was gorgeous :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I usually stock up on Linda McCartney stuff when it’s on offer in Tesco but may stop in at Iceland one day if I can find one near me

2 Likes

Well folks - if you fancy trying the best vegan food in London, Stem & Glory has just opened near Smithfield Market. Soft launch this week - 20% off here: https://digicpn.com/p/sbtpsf

I am the biggest meat eater ever, but this was another level, and the staff are ace - just like Monzo!

3 Likes

Protip: if frozen Linda McCartney sausages (regular old sausages not the chorizo or rosemary ones) are your thing, cheapest place for them is Home Bargains. £1 for a box of six, standard price and always have them in (this is at the Crewe store). Next cheapest is Iceland at £1.25 for a box of six at standard price last time I checked. I typically have two sausages a day at breakfast so I’m keen to keep an eye on best prices :yum:

2 Likes

Oh I like the chorizo and rosemary ones. thanks for the tip though! I didn’t know home bargains did good. Must try one some time

1 Like

Their range is quite limited tbh, not really worth it if you’re going out the way for it. The chorizo ones are my favourites though, so I get those from Ocado whenever they’re on offer.

1 Like

Discovered tonight that Tesco have most of the Linda McCartney range for around £1 at the moment! :heart_eyes: stocked up in the rosemary sausages, chorizo sausages and mozzarella burgers!

4 Likes

Noice! I should head over after tea.

2 Likes

I’ll head to my nearest Tesco tomorrow and stock up! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like