The race to TEN MILLION users

When they release dark mode Monzo will surge straight past 10 million :speak_no_evil:

10 Likes

Cheque imaging will bring in 3.72 million new users

5 Likes

I see you slipped and put the decimal point in the wrong place, so Iā€™ve fixed it for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I knew my maths was rusty :sob:šŸ¤¦

2 Likes

Think the counter is just uk personal current accounts

2 Likes

I expect growth to rise when they hit profitability. At that point I think theyā€™ll do a Starling - adverts on every bus etc plus bring back referral schemes etc.

I think the US side also depends somewhat on profitability - expansion there will need cash too and when they are profitable I expect a big raise in order to fund that (instead of to just plug holes in the U.K. business).

I think I would still peg somewhere in 2025 for 10 million though.

3 Likes

5.7million :partying_face:

4 Likes

Growth is pretty steady at about 100k per month then. 6 million in February 2022?

2 Likes

I suppose it might pick up a bit, given ā€œbeep beepā€ - and the referrals in-app weā€™re seeing. Maybe this is the beginning of a marketing push?

6 Likes

Canā€™t help but feel like London is already saturated though, and not much new growth to be had from there, relative to other parts of the country.

Speaking anecdotally of course, but 100% of the people I know who either work, live, or commute to London regularly already have an account and are very aware of the brand. Contrast that to folks I know in more northern cities where Iā€™ve been their introduction to Monzo, rather than actual marketing.

London has a large population relative to its size yes, but itā€™s still only slightly above 15% of the population of England. Less than that when you factor in Scotland and Wales, which to me largely seem untapped as well.

Perhaps the busses are preventing growth from falling, and leading to a possible slight uptick, as this 100k came in a bit quick compared to the last few. I think to see some real uptick in growth, weā€™d need a marketing campaign that was a bit more visible and a bit more National. Hopefully itā€™s as you say, and this is just the beginning.

2 Likes

I suspect thatā€™s about to get even more pushed

I can only assume that Monzoā€™s data shows differently. Either thereā€™s more of the market to be had, brand awareness to grow or a conversion strategy from spending to full current account. Whether or not we feel it makes sense, I think that Monzo probably made a rational, data driven decision.

:eyes:

5 Likes

I agree but I guess it could also help with customer retention as well, ā€stick with us, look how great we areā€

3 Likes

5.8m :partying_face:

6m by March 2022?

4 Likes

Hopefully on a Sunday night. Traditions and all that

4 Likes

In that case, locking in February 27 as my guess.

1 Like

5.9m :partying_face:

6 Likes

Speaking of which, the amazing Grafana link died ages ago - @joecarter ?

7 Likes

My guess is itā€™s mostly a conversion and consolidation strategy in London alongside continuing to increase awareness to a much lesser extent. Plus customer retention as @Paulw says - people like to be backing a winner.

I would still expect much more national marketing once Monzo reaches profitability, though.

2 Likes

prob asked before but why is there no tv adverts for monzo like ((cough)) starling