The Next Step: Current Accounts!

Hmmm, now again that would be problematic for me in the situation, although I also have a USD Fair FX Card and could use that.

As long as I can access funds I put onto the Pre Paid card the other situation is manageable, if I can’t get to the funds, then I need to think about the using an alternative such as Fair FX.

Given the array of answers already, I’m thinking it was not a stupid question :slight_smile:

The proposed fee is 3% on ATM foreign cash withdrawals. Still far better than allowing the foreign ATM to do the conversion for you.

There will be a cutoff date when topups stop I expect, but offering the CA won’t be it - lots of people have already been offered the CA but not taken it up for various reasons (in my wife’s case, it’s taking weeks to get the required photo ID to join the CA, and I can see that not being uncommon).

3 Likes

Hi Jason! Don’t worry, you can continue to use the prepaid card while you’re away.

We will be inviting existing prepaid users to upgrade to a current account over the next eight weeks. But if you need to remain on the prepaid card for any reason, you don’t have to take us up on that invitation immediately, so you will be able to keep using your prepaid card while you’re abroad.

If/when you do decide to upgrade, your balance and account info will be transferred over to your current account, so you’ll always have access to your money! :moneybag:

Eventually, we’ll close the prepaid programme entirely, so if do you want to keep using Monzo you’d need to upgrade to a current account. But this isn’t likely to happen before the end of the year.

I hope that helps clear things up :slightly_smiling_face: have a great trip! :airplane:

11 Likes

Looks like I jumped in at just the right time. I was only been interested in the CA and waited until just a few days ago when I took the prepaid card sensing that it was just around the corner. Glad I’ll get to have one a little sooner as a result :smile:

Probably some ways down the road but will be interesting to see how ISA offerings shape up in comparison to the big banks.

3 Likes

Hi Beatrice, thanks very much for that.

And whilst away will I still be able to load more funds onto the card if needed?

Thanks for the fast responses (everyone)

Yup! Prepaid will continue to operate as normal :+1:

Monzo won’t be offering financial products themselves beyond the current account, instead they’ll have a marketplace where they’ll be able to recommend the most suitable products to you from other providers and allow you to manage your portfolio in one app

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone pick up on this so here’s my advice… I’m assuming you are paying a fixed fee for withdrawing cash at Vietnamese ATMs? These are fixed by the machine operator and charged to your card, typically around £3 - £5 per withdrawal. If that’s the case it would be much cheaper to withdraw larger amounts at fewer intervals. Cheaper for you, and cheaper for Monzo as Monzo are also likely to be paying a fixed fee for each of your ATM withdrawals.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Shame Monzo wont be offering that directly but managing them in one app is a big draw for me.

What happens if I want to have the current account AND retain the really useful prepay card?

Nothing happens. The prepaid card programme will be shut down in the coming months and I believe we only have the option of migrating one to the other.

1 Like

I was sent a “current account preview” invitation but didn’t use it, will I still be sent an invitation to the full current account, now, please?

1 Like

Well that sucks. The prepaid card was what sold me on Monzo. The thought of
a current account alongside that is of a great deal of interest to me but I
don’t want to lose the prepaid option.

Yup!

You can use the current account in exactly the same way as the prepaid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CA can be used identically to the way you use the prepaid.

Ah thank you for clearing that up Bob. I’ll withdraw larger sums next time I’m at an ATM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dan I think you have been treated pretty harshly for essentially not knowing that you were costing Monzo loads of money. How were you to know, and now that you do know you seem nothing but reasonable. Enjoy the rest of your trip in Vietnam. I’ve heard the Beer Hoy’s are something special out there. Welcome to the Monzo forum pal.

8 Likes

but if you don’t have GBP/USD in physical form, that will reduce your options somewhat

1 Like

Do we now have to have the current account instead of prepaid? I quite liked it just being prepaid myself!

Yes, eventually…again.