The Monzo Current Account Preview

Are these going out to non investors and those that pledged but didn’t invest now?

They always have been. Investor priority gets invoked at full roll out I believe.

3 Likes

But this isn’t a full roll out though

I’ve had a few chats with BACs. They are getting quite a few calls about Monzo…

Essentially, as part of their agreement to be part of the DD Guarantee Scheme merchants should update their sort code database monthly and must accept all valid, UK sort codes. Obviously this isn’t happening in all cases and I would wager that BACs is coming down pretty hard on those that fail to comply. Virgin Media being a prime example of a company that denied Monzo existed, then said they were in “beta” so they didn’t have to accept the sort code and have finally been beaten into submission…

9 Likes

HSBC announced in August that 170,000 personal current account customers will be issued a new sort code in due course as the bank ringfences the high street operation from its investment arm.

A legacy bank as established and antiquated as this will surely have to do the leg work with merchants. They won’t be able to rely on their customers flagging problems up with BACS.

What’s the betting that, come the changeover, it’s one massive clusterf*ck?! :rofl:

2 Likes

Not that I’ve ever personally used them but my mate uses them and seems to fairly frequently have issues anyway without sort code shennanigans. Though first direct seem to be pretty good.

Somewhere else I did a bit of a post about how the switch service works with ADDAC messages (requests to direct debit receivers to update bank details), maybe they’ll use this functionality.

Still, I can’t see an exercise like that going 100% smoothly, maybe Monzo will hoover up some of the unhappy customers.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re probably correct, they’ll just put everyone through the Current Account Switch Service.

It’ll still be bedlam, though.

Oh absolute hell, reckon they’ll have to reissue cards and things as well? I know cheque books for example have your account number on and a lot of debit cards do.

2 Likes

I just sent out a significant number of invites :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Well whadayaknow… thanks @Tristan :+1:

One big bulk or small batch time released E-Mails?

I think you missed my inbox :wink:

On a more serious note are there plans to do preview testing on CASS / app data migration?

1 Like

Good question. We haven’t decided yet — but probably, especially for data migration :slight_smile: We’re just doing some small scale testing of CASS internally right now — I think @valerio is halfway through :raised_hands:

6 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to get one of those invites. The only problem is that I can’t progress it!

I watch the video and take the quiz. It then confirms my email address and asks if I use the same one for Google Play. I don’t so it prompts me for my Google Play email address. On hitting “submit” I get the infinite twirling circle of death :frowning:

Help!

1 Like

Awesome! Looking forward to that! Will the 6 month rule still apply?

Tom’s just confirmed that this is still the goal :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot Tristan for the invite! Just waiting on my TestFlight email! Can’t wait to start using the account :hugs:

Isn’t the testflight limit 10k users?

Presumably, this 20,000 users Is going to have to be 50:50 Apple/Android then

Would be interested to see if this means a public release for the current account app on iOS or a roll-in to the main app. Hopefully maxing out the iOS testflight limit won’t mean a stop to any more iOS current accounts until full launch.