The Great Permacrises

The majority of the water from the three reservoirs at Ladybower is moved through an aqueduct from Derbyshire down to Nottingham and Leicester as well as the West Midlands. The aqueduct passes right through the chatsworth estate

1 Like

I’m going to have to move the family t’up north.

It’s just so muggy here with constant temps +25°c, like it’s 24°c and it’s 5pm, blugh.

Can’t remember the last time it properly rained.

Meant to be more of the same next week :sweat:

Whilst it might be raining in places it’s not enough to actually start filling reservoirs. The ground is that dry that’ll take a hell of a lot of rain to come down, before it actually starts to get into the water table and refill reservoirs, aquifers etc. Anything we’ve had is literally just keeping the topsoil watered but deeper down its not getting any further for now.

Most of the reservoirs around us just look like streams, they’ve not been this low in nearly 20 years now

3 Likes

Bradford not doing too bad:

Reservoir and it’s raining.

1 Like

There was quite a lot of rain in Leeds yesterday but the reservoirs north of Otley are so low that it’s going to take more than that…

4 Likes

Navigating away from the water related crisis back to the energy crisis, just to say I was right. There is no single published price cap – it is an opaque at best process; and it is set based on a large number of criteria meaning it will be different for almost each customer.

The capped kWh values Ofgem publishes are the “average” figures and so the best you can get is the “average household can’t spend more than X” figure.

2 Likes

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-are-the-price-cap-unit-rates-/

If you use the expanding section it shows for each region.

According to Ofgem the average British household has 2.4 people living in it and uses 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas

So basically they are right at that maximum capped figure.

7.37p x 12000 = 884.40
28.34p X 2900 = 821.86

27.22 + 45.34 = 72.56p

72.56p X 365 = 264.844 standing charges

884.40 + 821.86 + 264.844

£1971

I personally don’t know how people only use 2900 kWh electric a year for the average house. Mines basically double that :sweat: gas a little bit more.

7.37p x 15000 = 1105.50
28.34p X 5800 = 1643.72

1105.50 + 1643.72 + 264.844

So under the cap I would be roughly £3014 a grand over the average use. :grimacing:

I’m not sure that you understand the price cap.

The cap is per kWh, varying slightly across the different supply regions of the UK.

It only applies to standard tariffs and does not affect the maximum of the bill, just the price paid per unit.

3 Likes

Sometimes not even that. When the ground is dry and parched, heavy rain will just run straight off it and cause flooding instead!

1 Like

No, I do understand. Perhaps people here aren’t getting my point.

The cap changes from region to region (there are fifty-something regions), and so isn’t published. Even Ofgem says check with your supplier. Suppliers then set their own tariffs which means every customer could just be on different tariffs. So ultimately the entire process is opaque and hostile to the customers. More transparency is required, because “an average household pays £X” just doesn’t do it

1 Like

I don’t disagree that the comparison of average bills doesn’t work, but the unit price is published by region and suppliers aren’t allowed to set their standard tariffs above that level.

They can of course offer fixed/capped tariffs at the higher level but the customer must opt into these.

2 Likes

No one’s arguing with this point :sweat_smile:

I think the thing is, that there’s no limit on how much your electricity or gas bill can be, as that’s based on usage. There’s a (regional) limit on how much you can be charged per unit (+ standing charge), which isn’t very clear.

So for comparable reasons year on year, they use a mythical “average household”'s usage and an average price cap from all regions, and that’s the “Average Total Electric Cost” that’s used every time as a comparison.

However, you may pay more than this mythical average household, or you may pay less, depending on region, usage, and whether you live your life walking backwards, forward or sideways.

It’s all just a good way to have a consistent comparable for year on year increases. But everyone’s increase will vary, wildly, which is hugely unhelpful.

1 Like

There’s 14 regions, it’s in the link above what each region is.

1 Like

The problem is really the cap itself. Though a good idea to protect consumers, the current reality of it is that every single supplier is just offering the cap to existing customers, and won’t take on new customers at that rate. So there is no competitive energy market anymore at all, which means it’s really pointless having a privatised sector.

A bolder, non-Tory government would just renationalise at this point so that at least better prices could be negotiated.

5 Likes

Cap expected to hit near–on £3,650 in Q2 2023, and remain above £3,000 for FIFTEEN months.

This is out of control at a time when we have the worst people in charge of government; the kind of people who fundamentally believe that if you’re poor it’s your own fault, and the state shouldn’t intervene.

5 Likes

Anyone know what the minimum temp a house should be to keep damp away…? :grimacing:

EDIT: In case anyone else doesn’t understand, this was a joke.

Google definitely knows.

4 Likes

Obviously, it wasn’t a serious question.

2 Likes

I am just going to put the heating on for two relatively short windows a day and then wear many layers in between times. I am kind of refusing to give them any more cash than necessary.

Kicking myself for not fixing at £157 p/M the other week. Best deal is now £206.

Not objectively. You asked a question, you got an answer. Don’t be mad at the answer.