The Great Permacrises

You say that as if pointing out facts to right wing crazy gammons follows any kind of logic.

3 Likes

Octopus Energy are now providing a Crystal Ball mode, to show how price cap changes and the £400 government grant will affect you reaching your target balance of £0 in twelve months time, and thus give you opportunity to change your DD amount.

Interestingly, their graphic shows the grant as a deduction from your monthly DD, rather than a credit to your account in addition to your normal DD.

Doing it that way leaves a massive debit at end of 12 months :man_shrugging:

Because that’s how the government state it’ll be delivered:

Breakdown of the delivery process for each payment method:

• direct debit customers will receive the discount automatically as a reduction to the monthly direct debit amount collected, or as a refund to the customer’s bank account following direct debit collection during each month of delivery
1 Like

My bills pot will collect the difference and then I can pay off a chunk if needed.

But at least this stops everyone being in big credit. Rather it in my account than theirs.

1 Like

Exactly how mine works but with a Chase interest earning savings account / pot.

I put £170pm in it to cover future spend and get used to that monthly budget, and DD takes £100pm

1 Like
1 Like

Its rained where I live almost every day since the 2 day heatwave earlier in the month. No drought in these northern hills.

4 Likes

Same here! Not that we experienced any such heatwave. We had a day of warmth (20) and sun, then over a week of non-stop rain that was heavy enough to penetrate the waterproofing of two of my rain jackets.

1 Like

When they mentioned in the news it’s the driest July since 1911, I was trying to work out where in the country they took that reading. Definitely somewhere in the south.

I’ve definitely seen much drier and hotter overall July’s in my millennial lifetime (the 2 days being the hottest days an exception).

I think phase 1 of the UK drought plan is a media blitz about drought, so I guess thats taking place, but it’s hard to take it seriously as its non-stopped (sometimes quite heavy, like yours) rained here.

I think we need better infrastructure to move water from the wetter areas to the new drier ones in the south as well as plugging all the leaky pipes!

1 Like

Up here, the rain actually started on the hottest day, and our highest temperature was less than half the recorded highest.

Not to say it hasn’t been unbearably hot and dry somewhere in the country, but this has been a very wet and cool July for us. I’m yet to experience a prolonged period of heat fatigue that I’d grown accustomed to in the U.K. for the past few summers, so that’s been pretty nice.

1 Like

This seems to happen every year… I was once sheltering from the rain in a corner shop on my way to work (and buying snacks, as usual) and the radio announcer said there was a drought and was talking about hosepipe bans. It was utterly sheeting down.

I’m seeing much the same this year. It’s been fairly wet (not unusually so for this time of year, but not dry either) and the press are going on like it hasn’t rained for weeks.

2 Likes

It’s not July that’s necessarily drier/hotter, it’s the first half of the year that’s a lot drier/hotter than previously. This BBC News article has a graph on it that shows the total rainfall up till end of June, and shows that’s it a lot lower than the averages we’ve been having recently. Tied into hotter weather, and it’s definitely more legit.

Also, the satellite images vs last year show this too…

3 Likes

This is the news report below that I was reading. I don’t doubt that overall the country has had a drier year, and that things are probably much worse down south but it’s rained an awful lot here. As @N26throwaway also stated, it’s been quite heavy rain at times.

1 Like

I don’t know where “here” is, but just because it’s rained a lot near you, doesn’t mean that you won’t have a hosepipe ban as well, with water redirected south from your location if there’s plenty of water up north.

1 Like

Can they do that now? I seem to recall reading that it wasn’t possible, though it was some years ago now.

I think the last hosepipe ban/drought, there was speculation about just tankering it down if needed to keep water flowing in key areas.

“Here” is one the the last villages before the open moorland of the Pennines in north western England.

The issue for England is a North/South divide. Here is the last weeks rainfall showing it:

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 14.21.39

It’s been a known issue for years that Southern England has a water issue but governments doesn’t seem to do much about it. There was talk about building an aqueduct (underground like the one from the the Lake District to Manchester) to move water down south but I don’t think thats happened.

Here is a news article from 2012 talking about it.

Love to know what village that is! :sweat_smile:

Yea, absolutely, but until something’s done about it, we’re all in this together, unfortunately… or not. Who knows? Let’s add this to the other crises taking place.

It’s rained daily since the 2 day heatwave here in the north west. :joy:

3 Likes

You just have to look at the water levels in Langsett, Ladybower, Winscar, Roydmoor as well as Woodhead/Longdendale reservoirs to see how little rain we’ve had.

I’ve never seen any of them so low.

1 Like