The Great Permacrises

I totally get that; one of the benefits of our system is that we generally get things passed without too much delay if a government has a majority (which usually is the case).

I suppose a second chamber isn’t exactly necessary, but if we are to have one I would want to try and get as much representation as possible in there. Politics would slow down though.

£1.3 billion in debt :upside_down_face:

Third time? In 2 years!? Who the heck is in charge of this council?

2 Likes

Looks like Labour, who were in charge until May, since when further mismanagement of the books has come to light.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the steam coming out of her head later :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

She surely couldn’t have expected any other possible outcome, could she?

Note, sarcasm against her, not the poster above

EDIT: So she’s basically said she respects the ruling but will try other routes anyway

1 Like

I’ve been watching how my Scottish friends and acquaintances have been reacting to the news.

The most common reaction was “they wouldn’t have blocked it if they thought Remain would win.”

2 Likes

If the court has ruled there isn’t legal power there then that’s just what it is. Change the law. The court isn’t blocking it, the law as currently written is.

The EU analogy is bad because it’s written into the legal framework of the EU that member states can leave the Union.

By all means have that in the legal framework of the UK - I do not believe in a union where members do not wish to be there but have no way out - but this isn’t the same, there is a subtle difference.

4 Likes

It’s a little more complicated than that, it would appear. Because relevant laws are going hundreds of years, it’s not wholly clear-cut, and interpretations differ.

1 Like

Of course. And we have courts to interpret those laws. They have told us how those laws are to be read.

All the newspaper journalists in the world can give their opinion but it doesn’t make it legally accurate. That is why we have courts and a legal structure.

Change the laws.

I’m not for or against Scottish independence - it actually wouldn’t bother me either way - but this is just clarity on a legal position most people were fairly aware of anyway; now it’s just set out plainly by a court.

5 Likes

How is this Twitterer’s example “exactly the same” being as the UK at this very moment finds itself out of the EU?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bbcrosatkins/status/1595679796880891904?s=46&t=cOV_Z6NGx-dQYC7mRdPz9Q

1 Like

Loads in Lidl near me.

1 Like

Lots of eggs in my local Tesco, but only in those big square trays or boxes of 12. Can’t buy six.

Same at my local Lidl.

Plenty of:
12 large free range eggs
10 large barn eggs
15 mixed eggs

Zero half-dozen boxes :person_shrugging:

Standing in the kitchen looking at my two boxes of 12 eggs, and now you guys have me wondering if I’m the strange one who eats too many eggs.

5 Likes

I have 3 or 4 a day :eyes::joy: with the eggception of none at the weekend

3 Likes

I find it ridiculous that people these days politicise the courts.

Also. The idea it is ‘exactly the same’ as the EU vote is very silly. The U.K. is essentially one country, it has a single parliament that is in control, a single head of state and a single currency. And Scottish people voted in to it 8 years ago. The Scottish government doesn’t have the power to hold referendums because Scottish people voted not to give it that sort of power.

It’s frankly nothing like the EU, which was primarily a trade organisation and (despite the brexiteer’s constant claims otherwise) did not impede on our sovereignty as(a) nation(s).

5 Likes

I eat 2 eggs a day, I had to buy branded ones in Tesco last night as all Tesco eggs were gone. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to have too many eggs?

You can make loads of good meals, desserts (of course) and boiled make great snacks!

3 Likes