The Great Permacrises

They could, but it would probably risk more providers going bust; especially those who aren’t also generators.

The advantage of nationalisation would be that the government could just fix any price. The disadvantage is that any price increase would be blamed on the government of the day. But they would then, at least, have an incentive to keep prices as low as possible.

2 Likes

Interest rates have gone up by 0.5% - taking it now up to 1.75%. Hope no one’s looking for a mortgage soon :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I’ll be re-mortgaging this time next year. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not remortgaging, but the PCP for my car ends in Q2 next year. I don’t really fancy getting a new one right now so my plan is to refinance the balloon, but now I’m wondering whether getting a settlement figure and refinancing now is a better idea.

Luckily I have some friends who work in the car financing world, so I’ll run the numbers by them and see what they think.

The car financing broker I use has told me that all finance companies are re-evaluating their rates with every BoE increase. If you’re hedging against the increase over the next years being above what you can get now, then getting locked in sooner at a lower % is better.

I am glad my personal situation means I’ve never needed to own a car!

1 Like

Cost of living crisis? What crisis?

2 Likes

All I hear is Joanna Lumley saying “Welcome to AOL”.

Unsure if she just did the You’ve got mail :man_shrugging:t3::slightly_frowning_face::joy:

5 Likes

Wait.

That was her?

3 Likes

The internet says it’s true:

Between 2004-2006

Provided AOL (America Online) with the “Welcome To AOL” and “You Have Email” voice.

4 Likes

I lived with someone at the time who was an AOL customer, and it was obvious at the time.

2 Likes

Ah I miss the AOL days. How on earth am I going to explain to my son that the internet used to come on a CD?

4 Likes

…and the CD came stuck on the front of a magazine.

2 Likes

I tell my nephew’s the internet wasn’t always around and their head explodes :joy:

5 Likes

The thing I blow people’s minds with is that

• The internet used to be text-only.
  • It took several minutes to download one picture.
  • Yes, one!
2 Likes

I was one of Demon Internet’s original “tenner a month” customers, i.e. the first to have home access, although I’d been using the Internet (upper case I) at Uni for a few years.

Before that I ran a bulletin board via modem for Amstrad PCW owners.

And there was no WiFi! The internet was wired only.

2 Likes

Try explaining teletext to them next :smile:

1 Like

The best thing on Teletext:

11 Likes

Oh yes, been there, paid that. Remember the wrangling with winsock.dll? Try explaining that to the kids!

Dial up BBS’s. And don’t forget Compuserve. The birth of the specific-topic forum basically.

14,400 serial port modems were the dogs. And you could connect with a Psion 3a, 3x, 5 too - portable handheld computing with a wired internet connection :face_with_spiral_eyes:

(insert modem-dial-up-to-server-sound)

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

3 Likes