Neighbours bought by Amazon

So Friday 9pm Channel 5, the last ever episode of Neighbors airs. I’ve not watched it in about a million years, but I’ll be watching the final just to see it end.

4 Likes

I watched the very first one!

2 Likes

Me too! on YouTube

3 Likes

Just checked, that was 1986 in the UK

1 Like

Neighbours and Home and Away are my guilty pleasures! I’ve been watching both from the beginning - on TV.

I don’t watch UK or US soaps, though.

1 Like

Yup. I’m old :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I stopped watching it early nineties, I think.

I watched the first Eastenders too. Not seen one of them in a generation either.

Home and Away I watched way back when, along with Richmond Hill, Sons & Daughters, when Aussie soaps were the thing.

Not a Soap viewer at all now.

I used to watch Neighbours back in the day, fell out of it when Stingray died and then it moved to Five.

I’ve been watching since the start of this week because I figured they would spread the farewell out a bit, and probably should’ve started watching a bit earlier because they’ve clearly been doing clips of old Neighbours for a bit longer than that (there’s an in-story reason).

Joel came back for the one episode yesterday!

You’ve not missed much - I think just a couple of old clips last week. The come-backs have been happening for around 3 weeks, though.

2 Likes

The move to Five was when it died to me.

But I still fondly remember the days of watching Neighbours daily after school. Often before switching over to BBC2 for some TNG / DS9.

3 Likes

I’ve got my bottle of Bubbly chilling in the fridge ready to toast the show as it ends.

It’s been, for many many years, my 'get home from work (these days ‘clock off at my desk and turn off the computer’) and chill out watching this. Gonna be a bit lost on Monday when I wont be able to do that :frowning:

2 Likes

I watched from 88 to 97. Around the time Karl Kennedy had his affair.
Never missed watching it and had no desires to do so until this week. I watched the last two episodes and thought it was ok.
A bit rubbish that Scott and Charlene filmed their bits separate to the others. Was hoping Henry Ramsay and Joe Mangel would return. One of the best soap double acts.

I’m still upset that Brookside (my fav soap of all time) ended. I’ve boycotted Channel 4 ever since

2 Likes

Didn’t see that one coming one bit

3 Likes

3 Likes

And it being on Freevee, which many people probably still don’t have a clue what it is, is a big win for Amazon as well.

2 Likes

This is Freevee for context: Freevee (amazon.co.uk)

Yep - I think Pluto TV, at the start of this year, massively benefited by the absolute mess Paramount made with Star Trek Discovery being dumped by Netflix at very short notice and they then had to run around and try and find a new home for it quickly.

Put it on their ‘free’ online TV station, gives publicity to the service and helps with their general audience numbers.

So, putting Neighbours on Freevee is probably going to have a larger impact on brand awareness for Amazon than all the ads they seem to be putting on Youtube at the moment…

1 Like

Pluto TV is owned by Paramount so Paramount benefited whatever happened.

And I’m fairly sure Netflix didn’t dump it, but rather Paramount wanted to keep it for when Paramount+ launched.

And Freevee is available within the prime video app so theyll get plenty of interest from people there as well, even if they dont have a clue what freevee is.

2 Likes

Not my 88 year old grandmother who doesn’t have a smart TV :smiley: and can’t turn on a smart box

But didn’t the final episode see most selling up and leaving Ramsey Street?

Are the script writers going to do a Bobby Ewing and make the sales a dream :thinking::rofl:

That was the plot leading up to it, but the conclusion was lots changing their minds and deciding to stay after all.

2 Likes