The Current Account Switch Service (CASS)

CASS not always all it’s cracked up to be.

tl;dr—the old bank unilaterally debited an amount from the new bank two days after the CASS completion date. They wrote to me telling me I was overdrawn but didn’t tell me they’d reclaimed the amount from the new bank.

——

I used the Current Account Switching Service for the second time in recent months.

In November I used it to switch from First Direct to Clydesdale’s B account. No problems at all.

In January I used it to switch from Clydesdale’s B account to NatWest.

The first switch earnt me a £250 bribe, the second will be £125. But there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

The second switch all appeared to go well with plenty of money in a credit balance being transferred. W writhing fine until two days after the Clydesdale account closed, they took ÂŁ54 from The now non existent account to put me into overdraft. They wrote to me to say I was overdrawn.

Clydesdale we’re unable to explain this despite, after a further two days, reclaiming the £54 from the new NatWest account yet still telling me I was overdrawn with them.

Another issue to be wary of is they require 7 working days notice to fully cancel the switch. So unfortunately my journey with HSBC is going to be longer than I would wish.

The first CASS I ever used was Alliance and Leicester. They not only failed to switch about half my DDs and standing orders - cancelling them instead - they couldn’t give me a password for online banking until 2 weeks after the account was open. Plus they couldn’t give me a firm date for switchover, just sometime in a two week window, so I didn’t know when to move my salary…

It led to my rent not being paid and a lot of upset companies wondering why I’d cancelled the DD with them. Was a total ballache to sort out.

I’m sure it’s a lot slicker now… they talk of guarantees and stuff, and if my experience was common the newspapers would be all over it… But I still can’t bring myself to trust the process… it took a day to switch 15 direct debits to Monzo (well, a couple needed a bit more work, the hardest being filling in a PDF and emailing it).

• Alliance and Leicester were truly rubbish though… I didn’t last more than a month or two with them before I left. They thought customers were an inconvenience and only tolerated them because they were making money out of them.
2 Likes

What you described with A&L was not the “Current Account Switching Service” which is a scheme only been around for a few years. That was merely a service offered by banks to switch current accounts on your behalf but not under the rules of a defined industry scheme.

2 Likes

Credit where it’s due. In the half a dozen phone calls I’ve had with Clydesdale, their customer service has been excellent. It’s right up there with First Direct.

They admit they’ve dropped the ball on this one. They’re feeding back my experience to their CASS team and, out of the blue, they offered me £60 as a goodwill gesture.

Their app didn’t work for me but their customer service is extremely good and you can get through to them as quick as with First Direct but on a freefone 0800 number.

2 Likes

I really really need CASS soon. :sob: my Nationwide account is just sat open taking my Child Benefit and Tax Credits payments…

It’s such a ballache to switch those over manually…

Any chance of a more up to date time frame than soon, or off the road map, near term? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not directly related, but there is also the problem that some companies don’t seem to update their systems in case of CASS. On the PlusNet forums there were loads of reports a while ago about customers who had used the CASS and for the 1st 12 months all seemed well. Afterwards payments failed. Apparantly PlusNet never updated the account details of the customer, and for the 1st 12 months the payment request was simply forwarded to the new account by the old bank. But that only happens for 12 months after the switch.

So, another tldr: Keep an eye out for any potentially missing dd in 12 months time, and/or contact any providers who haven’t confirmed your new account details in writing after the switch.

3 Likes

The most specific I can be right now is that we are hoping for a Q1 launch :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Thats good to hear, might be able to finally get the Mrs onto Monzo…

In terms of your comment would you class this as

Very Very Soon
Very Soon
Soon
Shortly
Weeks
Near Future
Future

3 Likes

This has been increasd to 3 years as of recently, just for your refrence.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks! (I actually checked the paperwork for my last switch, and indeed it says 3 years in there. I didn’t even notice …)

On that article there is also this nugget:

The new rules will see all customers entitled to a MINIMUM redirection period of three years. However, the rules will also stipulate that there should be a minimum of 13 months between the last stray payment and the date the redirection period ends.

If that’s indeed (universally) true, then that should be the end of these practices, as DD that haven’t been used for 13 months are usually deactivated anyway, aren’t they? That would be fantastic!

1 Like

Spin the wheel and see where it lands :wink:

9 Likes

Will anything be offered for people that want to switch their direct debits over without closing their existing account? For the time being until the whole cash situation is sorted out I still need my legacy bank.

I can live with that :heart_eyes:

1 Like

LMAO, the way I initially read that was that you wanted the title ‘Mrs’ on your Monzo card and all I could think was ‘please, no, no titles Monzo!’

2 Likes

No even for those who wish it?

I don’t really care if someone wishes it but it could be optional then.

Sure thing.

So Q1 - which year? :wink:
There are three weeks remaining if it’s this year!

Seriously, it would be great to see this come on stream. I’m already using Monzo as my primary current account but still have some remnants left on my First Direct account and I’d love to be able to do a proper transfer to make sure that nothing gets missed.

My partner got her Monzo current account but has been with Barclays for nearly 30 years and wants to make sure all her payments get transferred smoothly so she’s holding out for CASS.

Meanwhile, Starling has had it for ages. Oh, and Apple Pay too. Appreciate there are lots of features on the backlog, but these two are still in most people’s top two most wanted I suspect.

1 Like

For context -

& when it comes to Apple Pay this is a pretty interesting post..

1 Like