The charger thread šŸ”Œ šŸ§µ

Nice tip! I hide mine in bluelounge bins. All my rats nests go in these. I move stuff around far too frequently to be sticking stuff to walls, though Iā€™d love to having everything perfectly wired up and hidden like that!

1 Like

Are there any heat issues from sticking everything in a box?

I use Command Strips for everything. Also great for sticking Echo Dots and Nest Cams to the wall. The strips do come off fairly easily too if needed. Much less permanent than a nail or screw.

If your cables are warming up, having them in a box isnā€™t the problem.

2 Likes

I was thinking more about power bricks than wires.

After trying many (including several from Anker which are great), the Zendure Passport II is the best that I have tried.

The brand may not be as well known as Anker but my experience has been overwhelming positive.

Not really. Theyā€™re well ventilated at the sides, and quite roomy inside, and I donā€™t overcrowd them. Follow the guidelines that come with the instructions and theyā€™re quite safe.

Even on papered walls? Iā€™ve used them for hanging photos up in the past, and they just rip the paper off when you remove them. Ended up just using trusty old nails. Itā€™s easier to fill a small hole in an inconspicuous area of the floral wallpaper than it is to cover up or repair a tear.

Just got my IKEA charger and itā€™s quite neat although not as small as all these others using space age alloys

What Iā€™m trying to figure out (and hope someone more technically minded can help) is whether it supports the MagSafe charger.

MagSafe needs 9V @ 2.2A. The charger can provide 9V @ 3A. I know that the voltage ā€œrailsā€ (seems to be the term everyone uses) canā€™t be changed but Iā€™m not sure if the amperage can be reduced? So could it supply 9V @ 2.2A, or would it not work and therefore default to a lower setting and slower charging speed?

Youā€™re fine. The Ikea can supply up to 3A and magsafe will ā€˜takeā€™ a maximum of 2.2A.

Think of Voltage as the speed of a car on a motorway and Amps/Current as the number of cars on the motorway. And youā€™ve got to get across.

• If there is one car travelling slowly (low voltage, low current) youā€™ll be able to leisurely saunter across
  • If there is one car travelling quickly (high voltage, low current), youā€™ll get across but thereā€™s a chance of being hit
  • If there are lots of cars travelling slowly (low voltage, high current), youā€™ll need to carefully navigate across
  • If there are many cars travelling quickly (high voltage, high current), youā€™re dead mate

A bit like the voltage is the ā€˜sizeā€™ of the thing needed to power the circuits and the current is the energy pump needed to get it there. If something isnā€™t demanding a lot of energy, the energy pump is lower.

Or in other words, if magsafe demanded, say, 4A current, the Ikea charger would start failing or smoking

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

I just wasnā€™t sure if amperage can be adjusted by the charger. Because it seems to me that voltage is fixed (so if the charger can only provide 9V but the device requests 5V, it just gets denied rather than the output adjusted)