The Boden / Blomfield Saga

I think you broke it down very well. The two main things that have actually made me switch from monzo to Starling now was the fact he tried to get her to take responsibility for the companies debt when she agreed to resign and the fact he seemed to do a lot of this stuff on the sly, and not to Anne’s face.

Trying to stick her with the debt after she sold her house while making her resign from the company really doesn’t sit well with me. I could never do that.

7 Likes

I know this might be contentious, but I don’t think that rumour and gossip about founders, one of whom isn’t even CEO any more, really should have that much bearing on where I bank.

23 Likes

Frankly I am outraged with any bank who doesn’t cook enough chicken for a sunday roast. Or too much chicken. I still haven’t read the article All I know is there is chicken involved somewhere.

13 Likes

This story was going to surface eventually, but I must say, I can’t get worked up over it.

Inevitably, this thread will consist of conjecture about the facts followed by conjecture over the motivations.

Frankly, the narrative might be interesting as a magazine article, but a book? Not so much.

I’ll wait for the DVD…

6 Likes

That’s entirely your opinion, and I respect that. For me, whenever I read something like this, I always wonder how many other people has he done stuff like this to… The disturbing Glassdoor reviews have a lot of upvotes which don’t paint a pretty picture of life at monzo as well.

I doubt there will be a huge number of CASS switches from monzo to Starling now, but I definitely trust what’s coming out of Anne Boden’s mouth a lot more than Tom’s now.

8 Likes

Pretty much everything on this discussion forum is personal opinion (as are Glassdoor reviews :smirk:).

8 Likes

A Sunday roast as a work lunch? Terrible idea.

That’s the opposite of what a Sunday roast should be. Family or friends, lots of food, lots of wine and not a thought about work for the lazy afternoon.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Aha - the game’s afoot !

So…
Joanna Scanlan (also good with shawls)
Damian Lewis ?

4 Likes

That looks like every BBQ I’ve tried this year, the only difference being the chicken isn’t black and still smouldering.

1 Like

Wonder if they did the washing-up together?:thinking:

1 Like

I see that @simonb is writing a long post

These days it’s not us in trouble!

3 Likes

I’d just like to point out that you:

A) Are speaking as if what you read is the truth, rather than a subjective take.

B) Registered on this forum 6 hours ago and have only ever posted in this thread.

I remain unconvinced that anyone would switch banks based on a snippet of a book written by someone who objectively has an axe to grind.

Guerilla PR is outdated. People tend to prefer honesty these days.

26 Likes

Oh yeah… duur :smirk:

2 Likes

It’s very dramatic - I love it. The only way this could get better is if it later came from Tom or something that they’ve slept together or something along those lines. Always a good way to start a feud at the workplace.

1 Like

I fear, though, that people would. It’s so easy to do that, fuelled by forum activity such as this.

I’m not bemoaning the forum - just the reality that folk will make those decisions without little or no thought. The choice of bank itself, as a vehicle for money management, is almost incidental in this case…

The power of the forum, eh?

Given how difficult it is to get folk to switch banks full stop, I doubt anyone outside of a small forum-aware subset would even think about doing based on this palace intrigue

I’m sure a lot of folk even reading The Times itself will flick past the story on the basis of having no idea who the people and companies involved are

13 Likes

Exactly this…:point_up_2:

4 Likes

I’m a sucker for a good cliff hanger, but I think I’ll wait for the complete series and then binge!

I think this gives me a good excuse to repeat the quote I shared in the Monzo media thread:

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently.

Robert Evans

I hope people bear it in mind when reading the article, reacting to it, and forming their opinions. And likewise to other accounts of what went on.

4 Likes

I don’t quite get the timing though. Does she feel Tom is now so far out of the game, it’s time to let it off her chest? Doesn’t really fit her MO.

If the idea is to damage him, it’s too little too late.