🇹🇭 Monzo in Thailand [Discussion]

Hi, I used a Citibank ATM in Bangkok yeterday and Is was charged 200thb fee. Seems like they are now charging like all other banks here.

1 Like

Are there any updates regarding the charges applied by Thai cash machines…? Heading out in a few days. Thanks…!

Related post from another thread:

1 Like

From another thread C&P’ed here as requested.

Loaded some cash to the account via my debit card ready to pull cash. I also opened my local banks app, and it listed the GBP exchange rate as 42.63117 buy and 45.91625 sell. It should be noted those are bank note cash exchange rates and looking into the web platform for my local bank I get 43.65125 on telegraphic transfers (what I currently do). XE currently has the rate at 43.91462 I will guess that as the midpoint interbank.

First ATM tried was Siam Commerical Bank… I could get a balance (didnt do any mental arithmetic on what exchange it was giving) but as soon as I said I wanted to take out 1000b there was a screen that this transaction will cost me 200b continue Y/N ?? I said yes continue and after there was a screen offering me my now 1200b withdrawal at 42.15/ GBP !! As this contained both a 200b fee and was worse I cancelled out.

I strongly suspect the bank was being tricky and trying to perform the FX rate at their cash dispensing rate ?? I admit it may be possible to say No and still withdraw cash, getting the Monzo Fx, but I am unsure as Ididnt go through and the 200b fee was in there anyway.

Next ATM was a government savings bank, I thought as a government bank ATM they maybe less cheaty on Fx tricks I put the card in, PIN seemed accepted, requested 1000b… Seemed to check, said authorization failed (check witgh issuer ??) and spat the card back out at me.

If Monzo want to pick up my ATM fees, I will happily test every ATM they ask me to… I will be in Asia for the next few months… But I dont much feel like spending 200b or 5 quid 10s of times when I have no need to personally. I will see what Bangkok bank and Kasikorn Bank look like and if they also have a 200b fee applied as I try to withdraw.

============

A quick note on ATM fees here.

When I use my own bank ATM in my home region I withdraw my cash free.
When I use my own banks ATM in another province I pay 20b
When I use any other banks ATM in any province I pay 20b

I am told the inter provincial fee for own bank use has been scrapped or put on hiatus due to the kings death, but as I am in my home province I dont know if thats factual. As with so much with Thai banks conflicting formation and no clarity.

I have just returned from Thailand and did not find any difficulty using the card in shops in the airport, my hotel, and ATM machine.
There was a charge for using the ATM which I think was THB200. I think it was Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) which has a purple logo.

1 Like

Just a general warning to be sharp on the transaction currency: at the King Power duty-free shop in BKK airport I was presented with a piece of paper to sign with the transaction in GBP having given them my card to process. They had used DCC, dynamic currency conversion, without asking me. I find it sometimes helps if you specify you want to pay in Baht before handing your card over, but having the wits about you to do this after a 12 hour flight can be difficult!

DCC: For something touted as a customer convenience it drives me mad!

1 Like

I have been to Thailand many times (probably about 13) now every time I have use a cash point it has charged me, but I think this is normal as I have a few friends who are Thai and some that are English and live in Thailand and they also seem to get changed even with Thai cards

Just thought to let people know that I don’t think it’s the fact that we are using English cards. I think it’s just the banks being money grabbing :slight_smile:

Chris

2 Likes

or banks recuperating installation, maintenance and repair costs plus the interchange fees between banks

No when I use my Thai cards for payment I dont have a card fee… Merchants sometimes impose a card fee on top of prices, to avoid paying the card fees themselves. But basic card use isnt charged.

ATM use outside of my ‘home’ province or bank has a 20b fee.

All non Thai cards have a 200b ATM use fee applied.

Recently returned from Pattaya in Thailand , a bit of information for travellers to Thailand .
Monzo worked seamlessly , instant updates as in U.K. used the card in several different Bank ATM’s .
First experience was at K-Bank (Kasikorn ) worked fine , but I made the mistake of accepting the atm exchange rate , DO NOT DO THIS !! Press the continue without conversion button ! I made the same transaction , 10000 Baht , pressed the continue without conversion and there was about £20 difference. Used at TMB, no issues , did have a problem at Krungsri bank atm and my transaction was cancelled , but I think this may be because I was close to my card limit .
NOTE : There was a charge at all Machines for 220 Baht , £4_50 ,
I managed to top up the Monzo card , while over there ,with registered debit card , without any issues.same process click top-up and off you go .
Monzo exchange rates were better than local exchange Bureau rates .
Great product and now after the initial concerns , Monzo will be my go to travel cash card !!

3 Likes

Hi

Just back from Chiang Mai and Bangkok. All banks I used cost 220 thb to withdraw. Happy to say though Chiang mai lots of places accept MasterCard. Seems to a push for it.

I agree don’t accept the exchange rates Monzo is always better.

1 Like

Update July 2017
ALL arms in Thailand now charge 250thb service charge (a prob £5.20) for using a foreign card. No exceptions. Example: you ask to withdraw 1000thb. Machine will notify you of the charge. Your transaction will be billed at 1250 then withdrawn. This is the greedy Thai banks not Monzo. This is a service fee not exchange fee. Most arms will ask you if you want to use the dynamic exchange rate. DON’T. This rate is set by the atm owner and is typically 3% less than monzo. Remember that this is in addition to the 250thb charge. Unfortunately Thai banks are hammering tourists and expat like me. Some arms will now decline your transaction if you select no to the dynamic conversion. If this happens, go to another banks atm. Unfortunately, more and more arms are doing this. It doesn’t matter what card you use. My advice is take plenty of cash with you and avoid arms. No fees if you use your card in shops, but again make sure you are charged in thb and not sterling. Some shops point of sale machines are set to home currency by default rather than local currency.

2 Likes

Transferwise straight into my Bangkok Bank current account still the best option for me at the mo…

Getting the same or sometime even better exchange rate than the local exchange shops this way, and less worry of carrying cash.

1 Like

Hi all

So what is the best recommendation here using the card or getting the cash? We are traveling to thailand at the end of july, then to indonesia and malaysia. As the exchange rate is so large, I’m looking to get myself the Monzo card.

Just wanted some advice

If you’re going to Malaysia, just find an ATM immediately after entering Malaysia. There is at least one or two Maybank ATMs at KL International Airport for every terminal within the airside zone. It does not charge for withdrawals using Monzo, hence 0%. There’s a catch though: Be careful of the DCC offered on the ATM screen!

For more info on Monzo in Malaysia, you can have a look here: 🇲🇾 Monzo in Malaysia [Wiki]

1 Like

So when buying using monzo card I ask to pay on local currency right?

Yes, you should try to pay with local currency it as much as you can. DCC can also be applied when buying things in shops/restaurants. After you request to pay in local currency, you should always check amount and acronym for currency on the screen, when you’re entering your pin.

1 Like

As @Avishai said, this can also appear on POS terminals as well as ATM, so always check currency and amount when entering the PIN

Yes. Actually this is what is supposed to happen if you are not asked. The
problem is that not all Thai people speak English. They just assume that
you want to use your own currency and some p.o.s. machines are set like
this by the provider. Just say Thai baht when you hand over your card and
check the receipt before you sign.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but I’m seeing recent Citibank ATM reviews which say they are no longer free.