Tandem - Fintech Q&A!

Limit was ok. Low side of what is usually on offer but we were only looking for a general everyday spends and groceries card.

I generally get offers of between 2.5 to 5k. Tandem offered 3.

Ok, makes sense. I’m in similar levels.

Yes we’ll be adding more banks throughout 2019. We expect Monzo and friends to be available before September 2019.

Hi there. We’re aware of having had some unusual signup errors over the past week, which is likely the result of the major system upgrade we’ve now completed. Things are up and running normally again now, but I’ll pass on your experience to the team so that they can check if there were any unknown issues. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy your card when you get it!

The suspense is killing me! Who?! Whoooooo?! :joy:

3 Likes

@DanTandem May I ask if there’s any rough time scale on Google Pay support for the cash back card at all?

1 Like

Excellent idea @simonb. Be good to see how the facility evolves. I’d be interested in hearing from Curve.

I’m not suggesting it, but it’d be fascinating to see how competitors might fit in…(it’s either a stupid or a brilliant idea :thinking:).

4 Likes

curve have their own forum

1 Like

So do Freetrade and that was a well received Q&A

2 Likes

Sure, but I was interested in the idea of opening up discussion across forums such as Monzo has done here. Probably unecessary, but it’d garner interest from those not necessarily keen on being a serial forum-joiner :smirk:

2 Likes

I think reading that I’m even more glad I cancelled my Tandem card. The doctor bit is really offensive to medicine and science.

For a lot of us meds are what keep us healthy. Modern medicine is amazing and has done so much to keep people healthy. The idea that doctors are paid to keep people on meds and aren’t looking out for their health is really disrespectful. To doctors, to patients, to science and progress.

I got a Tandem card a month ago. The main reason is that I work away a lot for work, so have to pay up front and claim back expenses. My observations so far:

• Signup was really easy. I did it in the car while waiting for the wife to return some items to a shop.

• Love the 0% foreign use and the cashback - they were the decider over other products. If they were removed I’d move to another card.

• I like the notifications for transactions, which I’m accustomed to with Monzo/Starling

• There are acceptance issues. For example, my local Tesco pay at pump says “card not accepted”. If this becomes too frequent I’ll move products, as I have to be able to rely on my card working.

• Paper statements. It’s 2018 (almost 2019)! Need I say more?

• No Google pay. Very frustrating as I pay with watch/phone whenever I can due to having no feeling in one hand and therefore finding fishing out my wallet/card very inconvenient.

• The App is very rudimentary:

1. The Highlights screen is pointless. The majority of it is taken up begging me to connect my bank (which I’ll never do). I also have a “welcome to Tandem” highlight, despite having the account over a month. These can’t be dismissed, nor can the default page in the app be changed.
    2. To get to transactions I have to go to the accounts screen and choose my account. Pointless since I have only 1 account. I would like it to default to my transaction list if there is only one account
    3. The transaction list is basic. it shows retailer and amount. No further information is available about transactions (e.g. time/location if it’s a name don’t recognise)
    4. You can’t even make a payment in the app. You have to do a bank transfer to pay off an amount, which is frustrating

I’d be interested in knowing if any of the above are on the roadmap to be addressed. It’s early days, but I’d have to say that in a survey I’d be neither “extremely satisfied”, nor “extremely dissatisfied”. I’d rate the product as average, with more bias towards the legacy. It fails to offer even simple things offered by most products, like in-app payments of the balance. The only nod towards modern Fintech is the instant transaction notifications.

1 Like

Does sign up still take you out if the app to a web page?

Edit:
Yes it does :neutral_face:
https://apply.tandem.co.uk/#/application

@Daesimpso Thanks so much for your detailed feedback, very interesting and helpful to read. I’ll pass it on to the app and card teams.

Paperless will be coming soonest of the things you mention, but most of them (payments in-app/Gpay) are on the roadmap for 2019 as it stands. We’re just finalising planning this week and I hope to be able to share a roadmap with everyone after that. Tesco fuel pumps is a mastercard thing, not us (As far as I understand, there is a workaround that some mastercards use, but it’s not secure enough for us, so we have to wait until Tesco update their software in the pumps to the latest version).

I haven’t seen anyone mention your points 1,2 and 3 before, so I’ll be interested to see what the app teams say about it.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Can you do a Direct debit from monzo to automatically pay this card off each month?

Also - are you iOS or Android? Thanks

@DanTandem Does that mean Monzo can also use that api to integrate Tandem credit card spending inti the Monzo app. If that happened, I’d jump straight on board.

2 Likes

And another quick question @DanTandem - I have a Halifax Clarity for unlimited ATM withdrawals abroad. I know Tandem offers the same, so should I switch? And why?

@GalaxyMergirl - I’m very sorry if I offended you. We’re in no way anti-doctors or anti- medication - and certainly not anti anyone who has to take medication. It was meant to be a point about how institutions are structured financially - so sorry if I phrased it clumsily and it caused you offence.

1 Like
  1. They sacked Howard.
  2. Wouldn’t you prefer 0.5% Cashback?
  3. They charge a £12 over limit charge. We don’t because if you go over your limit, we take responsibility for that too.
  4. Both of us charge £12 late fees because the regulators say we have to. But we proactively try to avoid our customers paying this fee with a push notification and grace period (look out for more news on this around the 21st January).
  5. When did Halifax last come into the Monzo forum and answer your questions for you :wink:
7 Likes