Tandem Bank chat

Apparently they insist on sending out paper statements.

Keep us updated with how your thoughts are over time, I’m interested to know more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use it strictly for foreign spend. It’s great that it’s fee-free, has good rates and gives cashback, but domestically there are way better cards - it’s just that they charge non-sterling fees.

I just signed up as well, I dunno why though :joy_cat:

1 Like

Did you get decent credit limit at least? If it is silly £500 then not for me :sweat_smile:

I got £1500 but the APR was 24.9% coz of the info I gave them lol

1 Like

£5000 - any good? Wouldn’t work for domestic, but enough for foreign spends…

1 Like

Better that the silly £500 some card companies drop on you when you apply for the first time.

Wonder what the average is though? £3000 would be decent. Can you not get paper statements though? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I believe not. At least they have in-app chat now though. Phoning them from Vegas was no joke (and outweighed the cashback by 4x). They do seem to like stopping the card without communicating…

1 Like

It is the first and only fintech credit card, isn’t it? But not the fintech experience we would like to have, really. Not sure I want to go with them. :disappointed_relieved:

Well once you’re used to it, it is good for the free foreign use and cashback. Never use it in the UK though.

2 Likes

Just seen Tandem doesn’t have Apple Pay, guess that’s another card staying in the drawer :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

With the news today that House of Fraser has called in the administrators, I wonder if Tandem now feel they dodged a bullet?

From two years ago:

1 Like

Actually, I’m not so sure. I don’t think this was a takeover - and presumably the investment would be with Tandem by now - so it might not have had much material affect, except that the beneficial owner of the shares changing? (I genuinely don’t know so insight welcome!)

In fact, I might go as far as to say that the absence of the House of Fraser cash might have been (in the long term) mortally wounding for Tandem. Didn’t they have to lay off a lot of their early hires due to lack of cash? Or was that because they did get an investor who forced them to tighten their belt?

Either way, it felt to me that Tandem got significantly knocked off course around that time…

2 Likes

HOF has just been purchased by Sports Direct.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens there!

6 Likes

What card do you use domestically? I use Tandem for both UK and overseas spend.

That’s hilarious! That’s like Iceland buying Waitrose! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Virgin Atlantic

Wow - as if Tandem wasnt bad enough, it turns out they don’t even have an out of hours stolen card process!

8 Likes

I signed up to see if I get the amazon credit from their referral scheme… anyone got that yet? I was offer £3k at the 18% rate.

I can’t believe the card can’t couldn’t even be activated via the app. Had to ring up as there was no response from their limited support hours on the chat. Even the direct debit needed to be done by a person on the phone who said the paper statements were compulsory… For a fintech / challenger bank type thing I do hope the app becomes more useful over time. I dislike needed to enter my full password every time, whats wrong with the a shorter PIN number?! My TouchID is broken :joy:

1 Like

I set my DD up when I applied and it just went though on Monzo App, didn’t know about this Amazon thing though.