#TagYourTransactions

(Alex Sherwood) #162

They are but it’s worth considering the most helpful way to do so if you want to achieve more than just posting a comment in a forum.

Well, I don’t think your comments on telling other users that just because it has been discussed you shouldn’t add your voice to that are very helpful either.

(Alex Sherwood) #164

I think I’ve explained why I’ve done that pretty clearly, you’re welcome to disagree of course :slight_smile:

It would be useful to hear why you don’t think this is helpful.

Hence the comments. :slight_smile:

(Bradley) #166

I have just posted about the idea of ‘Saved Searches’.

Perhaps being able to set your own criteria, then save that, would be a good work around for ‘Custom Categories’… at least in the short-term?

(Jonathon) #167

I’ve also noticed that you can’t repeat words used in other hashtags.

For example I had #dinner and #dinnerout to separate how much I spend on dinner from a supermarket vs at restaurants, but clicking on #dinner brings up #dinnerout too.

I like the hashtags, but they aren’t quite ready for me to fully invest time in doing.

Because it’s just a search function which will not look for hash-tags in a way of complete separate words.

(Tom Thorpe ) #169

I think I agree with many of the comments here, that the tags are a first step in an interative journey towards the ‘custom category’ holy grail :cup_with_straw:, so let’s keep things optimistic and constuctive!

I think the main few suggestions raised here are:

1. Being able to split a transaction over multiple #s (assigning a £ value to a #)

2. Being able to view #s by month (preferably in a category-like screen)

3. Being able to set a target for a given #

4. Being able to # all payments, including DD and SO.

5. Logic to automate #s to transactions.

If I’ve missed anything let me know, just thought it would be a good idea to have this all in one place

(Jonathon) #170

Which I think is a flaw. Surely not impossible to set it to look for exact phrases in their entirety.

Also why then does capitalisation matter? #dinner and #Dinner are considered different but #dinner and #outfordinnerwithfriends are considered the same? It doesn’t make the greatest amount of sense.

(Tom Thorpe ) #171

It looks like they are using the previous search functionality and just colouring them in blue, rather than using #s like twitter does…

Agree. I think Monzo actually didn’t really put too much effort into this and released this as just another way to search the feed. This we could of course already do even with with adding #

I also do this.

Because currently incoming payments don’t offset outgoing payments I don’t use Monzo for work expenses - as ultimately they balance out to zero when my work reimburses me for them but Monzo doesn’t reflect this (Emma does as I can either mark them as ‘excluded’ or it balance incoming/outgoing difference). That leaves me with an ‘expenses’ category I just use for my own purpose, and ignore the title of.

I’m not against tags, but I have zero use for them at the moment when they don’t show a a category in spending.

If you can split transactions across tags and have them showing as full categories with targets etc on the spending tab, then they’ll be a lot more useful.

Yep, Emma is so good I have gone back to using my credit cards and other accounts and just let Emma reconcile it all. The rate of development is much closer to what I’d expect from an agile team and it makes me feel like monzo must be under resourced.

(Peter Roberts) #176

Wow, just doing substring matching…

tldr: #Fail. @Try again.

It’s a half assed attempt at what was already there. What’s the point of adding and @ or #. You search them the same way. And in the search keyboard then keys are hidden so you need to press three keys to get to #.

(But why don’t you just search the text after #/@?)

That’s the same as using it without @/# so why use it first place. It just creates a clickable link on tagged transactions that take you to the search.

It’s more annoying to use these because autocorrect stops working when you start a word with @/# so you have to manually correct a typos.

Easiest way to see the breakdown for an tag you have to go an item with the tag and tap it to open search. Are you kidding me? Is that good UX? And in result is a search result not a breakdown like default categories. It should per-month. (But you can add 1 month time limit to the search.) Why must I? And it’ll be include the past month from current date.

Why don’t tags get auto assigned similar to default “categories”? Sounds like an automation job. Why can’t we create an hierarchy of categories ie. sub-categories? We wanted an improved spending tab and you give us hashtag?

I hope this was just a test so far and not a complete feature. What happened to taking the time to polish features rather than releasing them to early? You use that excuse for slow updates.

I also hope a staff member reads this rather than just raging MonzoBois. Seriously what were you thinking? Who brought this up in a meeting? I can think of a better solution in 5 minutes.

After using tags for a few transactions I can only conclude that the hassle is not worth it. The Monzo app should make financial management easier … manually tagging each transaction with meaningful case sensitive tags is a real PITA and requires discipline (& time) that I just do not have.

#life-is-too-short

Hoping to see something much more intuitive in the future…

IA tad melodramatic to claim life is too short to put some effort in to manage your OWN finances.

There are still many non-digital-only bank users who manually use excel spreadsheets or handwritten notes to manage their finance. If the hassle is not worth it to add custom hyperlinks to some of your transactions, then don’t. But rest assured, there are many others who do think it’s worth it and not overly onerous.

(Bradley) #180

You raise a valid point, but you forget that we’re living in 2018 here… An age where we have autonomous vehicles, space rockets that re-land, rapidly developing Artificial Intelligence etc…

I’m guessing that a large proportion of the people who signed up for Monzo, did so because of futuristic features such as automated tracking of spending. We know it’s possible, so manual tagging feels like a step backwards.

we are a small proportion of the Monzo client base here and self selected for interest in finance and Monzo, but I suspect our views are fairly representative of the customer base. In fact I suspect we are more likely to put up with unfinished features and prepared to work harder at using the app.

But as I’ve mentioned in other posts, I’ve found that using Emma is giving me more utility and fewer restrictions and have moved spending away from Monzo back to credit cards.

A business needs to watch its ‘canaries’ carefully they can give potentially life saving advanced warning of upcoming problems.