#TagYourTransactions

(Kieran McHugh) #82

This is the first version of tags. I hope it will become more sophisticated in the future. Please bear with us!

Custom categories
The reasons my team haven’t pursued this are complex. In essence it would exponentially increase the difficulty of building many of the upcoming features we have (thus delaying them unnecessarily). It could also, as Hugo explained, cause confusion for customers.

The ability for us to reliably categorise all incoming transactions is extremely important, and not to be underestimated. Custom categories could add significant complexity and ambiguity, and significantly hinder our ability to do automatic categorisation on your behalf. We are worried that this would weaken the usefulness of some features (including some unreleased ones), and compromise their accuracy.

We think it’s better to have a core suite of categories (which we are adding to!) and take advantage of tags to allow you to group transactions arbitrarily and get custom insights that way.

Hope this makes sense.

Splitting transaction into multiple spending categories
(Jamie) #83

I have IOS

Jamie Gordon

Can I have a note AND a #tag on a transaction? If so which should come first?

(Kieran McHugh) #85

Yep you can have both :slight_smile: and the order should not matter.

(Kenny Grant) #86

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Glad to hear tags may evolve into something more sophisticated.

It may be helpful to compare with Tide, who offer custom categories and it works well. At the start of using the bank, I set up my custom categories, I then tagged transactions as they came in, and it simply remembered which tags were used in the past for a payer or payee and used them again. Nothing fancy but very useful. This is how lots of accounting software works too. If you did have user categories, it’s to be expected that any auto tagging would be extremely simple like this. I appreciate you want to use complex rules for the main ones and that will evolve and also you don’t want 20 similar rent tags across customers.

Given that monzo wants to control/auto-assign all main categories, personally I’d prefer subcategories to tags (which avoid the problems you outline too), but tags could work, if they are treated more as categories are, not manual tag and search.

If tags did a simple classify based on last use, and were displayed under breakdown they would address most of what people are asking for when they say custom categories.

The order does matter @kieranmch (at least on Android)

(Kieran McHugh) #88

Thanks for the info - iOS seems to support notes before the tags!

Do you know if the iOS search is insensitive to order of tags too @kieranmch ?
(eg: If tag for a transaction is “#alpha #beta”, then searching for “#beta #alpha” produces the transaction too)

(Peter Roberts) #90

Did you see my comment above about tags not being able to include a - on Android? Should be a small fix :stuck_out_tongue:

It hasn’t mattered for me :thinking:

Sorry, I think I slightly misunderstood. Putting “alpha #beta” or “#beta alpha” in the notes makes no difference when searching just “#beta” (both show up). However if you put “alpha #beta” in the notes and then search “#beta alpha” the transaction doesn’t show up.

I guess this falls under the insensitivity to order when searching tags issue.

is that because your auto correct is changing a short - into a long – when you type?

Would you not be searching for just #beta as the tag though?

I thought I understood what you said and then I couldn’t. That is entirely on me :see_no_evil:

(Peter Roberts) #95

Nope

(Craig A Rodway) #96

Yep. Just to add to this, and show people who don’t have Tide - this is the Rules screen, to assign default or custom categories to transactions. It’d rather neat :slight_smile:

Depends what you’re looking for. Maybe you put a more detailed description for a particular #lunch and couldn’t remember whether you put the tag at the beginning or end; trying both would be slightly annoying and it’s these small things that detract from the user experience a little at a time.

Sensitive to tag order when searching should definitely be delt with though:

Thanks for explaining. I was looking at purely an application view when I said mine works. Not the searching as I would just search or click the tag.

(Peter Roberts) #99

It also will allow Cyrillic characters which makes me think it’s a regex looking like #\w+ with Unicode aware character classes. The change would be something like [\w-]

(Kolok) #100

I haven’t read all the comments, but my suggestion is subtotals for each month for each tag (instead of all time total ) so you can see how much you are spending in a custom tag per month, and also be able to change the date of the month to match my salary pay in date.

(Kieran McHugh) #101

Wow, that looks complex. I think we are trying to avoid that kind of situation!