Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) šŸ’«

Right, but there are some things that probably should have been a hard requirement for launch, being able to pay in cash would be one of those in my view. I did see :eyes: the other threads about not being able to pay cash :pound: in, it didnā€™t really bother me at the time thinking it would get sorted but as christmas came and went and I suddenly found myself in need of paying cash, it quickly became apparent that not being able to do so is actually a rather big hole in the offering.

7 Likes

It feels like it may have been an accidental misjudgement to launch the CA just before December, as it was launched, there was a bunch of energy into making it smooth, migrating, all the back end important and complex tasks, and then as people will have taken time off (which they should) over Christmas. So from a user facing perspective a big gap of nothing (especially if pots were not high on your list).

I was anticipating, and was ok with, the seeming downtime over December (I know people were still working hard!) and anticipate a higher pace from this week on, but for us customers the holiday time was more time not distracted by our own work to wonder why the things we wish for arenā€™t ready - even though thatā€™s not really fair to Monzo!

8 Likes

Well, as some positive feedback, Iā€™m loving Monzo and think itā€™s brilliant. Sure, are there some bugs? Yes, but what product is bug-free? My legacy bank accounts sure arenā€™t!

I think listening to and working on feedback is great, but Iā€™d also say donā€™t let it get you down - the product is fantastic!

12 Likes

I think thereā€™s some truth to this :grinning:

For me personally, Iā€™m massively excited about what I know we as a company can deliver this quarter. Iā€™m continually amazed by our team and the things we build! So it really depends on how you frame the situation. Iā€™m a glass-half-full kinda guy though :wink:

That said, we definitely arenā€™t flippant or dismissive of the people who let us know that the product isnā€™t right for them right now. We are definitely listening and taking everything on board :grinning:

16 Likes

I feel like a lot of these issues are due to Monzo launching one product to build hype (and get feedback), before then having to build another product entirely. It definitely helped build hype and gain a jump on competitors who waited until they had a CA to launch, but whether that is offset by the frustration people are feeling now remains to be seen.

Do Monzo still say theyā€™re in beta? The CA cards donā€™t and any mention of it seems to be gone from the home page and the play store listing.

7 Likes

If the CA that ā€œtheyā€ (competitors) launched worked perfectly without any faults I would agree with you entirely , but it doesnt :slight_smile:

amended to say the competitors CA

Can you name a current account that works perfectly and has no faults? I sure canā€™t (and I have plenty of them :slight_smile: ). I definitely think thereā€™s a lot of room to improve and grow, for sure. But itā€™s a solid basic banking product with some really nice features, a great support team behind it and a future vision I believe in!

5 Likes

Fair, itā€™s far from perfect, but Iā€™m not making a judgement on the relative quality here, simply the strategy. Monzo users see a product that has been stagnant for months (because of the backend work to build a new product), Starling users see theirs accelerating forward. It remains to be seen which strategy ends up being better for user acquisition and retention, but as far as the grumbling here goes, it explains a lot of it.

5 Likes

I think this is the downside of living in the time of the MVP - it means you get the first iteration faster, but it is just that, a first iteration, with lots of room to build on, based on feedback from people like us.

I do wonder if the risk of too slim a slice for an MVP of core functionality that is known to be wanted is not the best path, as it guarantees some disappointment without the slimness being offset by learning, and that only ā€˜newerā€™ features should be shipped as MVPs.

I think we can all just hope for acceleration in January, when all staff are back, and possibly more hired writing user facing code.

2 Likes

but then when the next offering comes everybody will want more offerings - and then its not quite what I want so its a ā€œdeal breakerā€ never to use Monzo again as it doesnt do exactly what I want it to and the iterations arenā€™t coming fast enough for my liking ā€¦etc etc etc :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Does the Co-op still not support Android Pay?

Which Co-op? The East of England Co-op supermarkets do

Sorry I was referring to the Co-op bank.

1 Like

I think they support Samsung Pay though

Wow! Itā€™s sister bank Smile supports Android Pay from September 17. Hmmmm whatā€™s this then? http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/mobile/support/android-pay?int_cmp=_srchomepagepod3_prdandroidpay_grpsep

1 Like

I am so sorry :frowning_man: . Iā€™ve been feeling really bad that Iā€™ve been too harsh in this thread but I stand by the things Iā€™ve written and think theyā€™re sort-of-reasonable

That said, I want to give you some positive feedback too (last time was when I congratulated you in the support chat for getting 20k CA users after you helped me out! How far things have come already!). I do love Monzo a lot and Iā€™m still trying to encourage people to join up (recently referred by brother and he seems to be liking trying out the CA)

As a developer myself I do empathise with how any modern system is generally a bit like an iceberg. The bit that people can see above the water is only the smallest of parts

Keep up the great work and Iā€™m excited to be a part of Monzo in 2018 :sunny: :+1:

12 Likes

Oh! :hushed:

1 Like

Really, no need to apologise Peter! We appreciate everything that is said here and all opinions on the state of play, I really just wanted to re-assure everyone that we are all cracking on to get some amazing stuff shipped for 2018. A lot of people started back today after the holiday so the timing of the thread is just a little funny in that sense, weā€™re all eager to crack on and address all concerns :grinning:

7 Likes

To be honest most of my ā€˜issuesā€™ have been raised but might as well add mine -

1 - Pots donā€™t really offer an alternative for me as they donā€™t pay any interest. My legacy bank may only pay 0.25% instant access but thatā€™s 0.25% more than Monzo. Also with my legacy bank I have access to a regular saver at 5%.

2 - I end to pay for everything by credit card to earn reward points so the budgeting part of Monzo doesnā€™t really grab me.

3 - Its irritating how the payment references donā€™t get saved within the app.

4 - I do really need the option to pay in cash. I canā€™t get rid of my legacy account with the cash ā€˜issueā€™.

5 - Bank Statements - I need the option to get them one day in case I want to apply for a mortgage or something?

However there are positives!

1 - Monzo saves me fees wise whilst abroad.

2 - The C/S is pretty good and I generally donā€™t mind waiting.

3- The notifications helped me spot some fraud the other day.

4 - I donā€™t really care about Apple Payā€¦

Phew Well thatā€™s all off my chest.

8 Likes

lol so the only reason you use Monzo is for free FX and anti fraud whenever you do spend on Monzo -presumably when youā€™re abroad ??? because you pay for everything else on CC in UK to earn your rewards and keep all your other funds elsewhere for the interest rates, but you would like to have the facility to pay in cash so you can presumably transfer it into your interest bearing legacy accounts rather than visiting your interest bearing legacy branch with your cash ??? :slight_smile:

lol but its nice to have a hot coral card in your wallet - not that you ever use it in UK, but you might need statements for your mortgage showing that you use Monzo on Holiday but keep all your money in a legacy bank (legacy bank and CC statements provided by your bank ) :slight_smile:

5 Likes