Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) šŸ’«

iOS required either PIN or TouchID if enabled for transfers

1 Like

Dont get too far on the hype train for N26.

I have it as I have a partly EUR based life and once I became aware that my ATM use was costing Monzo (Holland really isnt a cashless countryā€¦ And Maestro is king there) I felt I would reduce that burden.

N26 feels like an even more basic and featureless version of Monzoā€¦ Theres no location mapping, the description of merchant is often a code (looking now I have CRV*, AUCAT, ACESA, ENPT1437, etc on a single screen) its VERY basicā€¦ Yes it works, yes I use it as a easy travel card to avoid my options of legacy bank fees or Fx conversions but its nothing to get excited over.

To me N26 feels even less like a ā€˜bankā€™ and more like a ā€˜pre paid mastercard, with vague in app spendingā€™ than Monzo does.

I too used and didnt like Revolutā€¦ I have spoken with Transferwise who claimed to have a multi currency mastercard system ready by Q4 17ā€¦ For that side of my life (multiple currency use) none of them are there yet.

I still feel Monzo is the best of the challengers, but as yet none of the challengers feel like more than bells and whistles on a cheap current account. I still bank with my primary banker (offshore) and wouldnt consider putting my holding assets into any of them.

7 Likes

What does that actually ā€˜meanā€™ tho ??

What is this vision of a new way of banking, how does that differ from my current way of banking.

The appeals to me were the ā€˜instantā€™ / fast updates of spending, the ā€˜freeā€™ mid point FX and ATM use outside GBPā€¦ Plus perhaps an additional security of pre-paid / 2d card and app control of card segregated from my traditional accounts, not that I had ever had problems. All this was in the pre-paid card I got IIRC mid 16ā€¦ I have since then ā€˜lostā€™ the overseas ATM advantage (fair enoughā€¦ costs are costs)

The price I have paid for that is loss of airmiles / avios / points / cashback (biggish deal for me), and frankly simplicityā€¦ I now have this bank for this use, this bank for that use, a legacy bank to hold large savings, etc etc etcā€¦

1 Like

I think thereā€™s something more than the sum of its parts to Monzo - community, vision, fairness, nerdiness, overall quality. I donā€™t expect at all that everyone would have the same emotional reaction.

Iā€™m still using my Amex for large purchases, and yeah, Iā€™ve given up quite a few MR points - but Iā€™ve also gained much easier acceptance. I donā€™t mean places that donā€™t take Amex - those are actually pretty rare and easy to be ready for. I mean no ā€˜oh, itā€™s Amex, you need to insert itā€™ and stuff like that. Now, granted, that was always the price to be paid for those MR points, but with something like Monzo (and again, the Amex still gets spend!) I prefer the simplicity and easy and organisation in my life.

Monzo isnā€™t for everyone, no product is, but I think that was it is, and who it is for, really isnā€™t something so analytically recognisable, certainly not at this early stage.

2 Likes

This was meā€¦ One offshore legacy bank, offering multiple sets of plastic debit and credit, and fees but I have to admit many perks (Airport lounge access is a biggie for me) and a card that ā€˜neverā€™ got refused. I simply had that bank system for all my adult life and they have held my life savings (something I simply wouldnt do with Monzo currently).

Then since Monzoā€¦ Then N26 for my eurosā€¦ Then Starling to testā€¦ Then why not a revolut cardā€¦ Then lets again simplify and try Curveā€¦

I noticed a post above with the subtext of ā€œoh you want to use Monzo for its advantages and keep other options for thier advantagesā€ as though that was somehow wrongā€¦ Erm Hell yeah !! I will use each option for best in class, balancing that option against fees, or ease of use, or also against perks, you would be mad not to. Lets not forget if your someone who spends a lot on travel cashback, points, and airmiles are significant things we give away to use Monzoā€¦

Notice I only opened N26 and revolut, when Monzo said they wanted to charge ATM feesā€¦ I think its perfectly fine to say thats a cost issue for us and then make it less appealing, but in making it less appealing of course I then explore more appealing options. Even if only as a sampler / testerā€¦ Thats simple cause and effect.

4 Likes

except I kind of doā€¦ I have a personal relationship manager for my accounts and have had for 20 years (multiple managers over that time of course).

One phone call from anywhere in the world, they will call me back if requested and any issues with my banking are handledā€¦ Transfers, multi 100k ones, Fx rates on large movements, Multi currency account opening, etc etc etcā€¦ Sure they are not answering questions about apple pay, but I have one point of contact who with verbal instruction will solve any banking related issue, while I am anywhere in the world.

I actually had a rough patch last year with my legacy bank, but recent changes with them seem to have fixed all but one of my issues over communication. Once downside of having one point of contact is if they are not good at thier job, thats your point of contact !!

Good to see an honest take on N26! Very interesting.

1 Like

It looks like you have used a Curve card for that transaction. Thatā€™s probably why the info isnā€™t displayed correct in N26?

1 Like

ahh maybeā€¦ I was testing curveā€¦

But not all of those are CRV, only one out of the 5 or soā€¦ ENPT1437 doesnt help me ID it muchā€¦

I have to say I preferred the prepay version of Monzo and have no plans to use Monzo as a sole account. I switched my legacy bank account to Starling which has been absolutely fine and much more stable than Monzo. I use Monzo as a substitute for cash especially overseas but try to keep below the Ā£200 ATM Foreign monthly threshold. Starling has no ATM charges at all by the way. Curve can be useful but not for cash withdrawals. I still have Revolut but rarely use it. For FX I have a TransferWise Borderless Account which Iā€™m very happy with. I have a feeling that the Monzo bubble has burst. I hope not but letā€™s see!

2 Likes

Why? What features were removed by switching to the current account? As far as I can tell, nothing changed for the worse because of the switch.

4 Likes

I would like to see Apple Pay added to Monzo. Theyā€™ve said repeatedly itā€™s not coming anytime soon and I get that, but a lot of other next-gen banks are popping up with this feature. Starling have it already and more are coming. It may simply end up being the case that I go with someone else because for the next 12 months plus the situation may be itā€™s broken on Monzo, working everywhere else.

Iā€™d be very interested in any bank that could give me an API. As a developer, the ability to do something creative with my own financial data is interesting. Again I donā€™t think Monzo will get around to this for more than a year. I love Monzo but some other banks are just somehow managing to do more, faster.

1 Like

The introduction of ATM limits overseas and the app seems fussier now than before. Not big issues but enough to make me prefer Starling.

1 Like

The ATM limits, though, arenā€™t something related to the current account. As for the app, thatā€™s pretty vague but definitely report the bugs on here :slight_smile:

Guess Iā€™m in the fickle customer category :grinning:

Nah, thereā€™s tons of options thatā€™s oneā€™s right! Just trying to better understand why the current account bothers people. It only has advantages - more features and better protection.

I definitely see why ATM fees put a portion of people off!

2 Likes

Possibly because the pre paid card was fully featured whilst the rush into CA has left an unfinished product.

A pre paid card doesnā€™t need CASS. It would be very unusual to offer statements and there is no need for a joint pre paid card - just possibly a spare card.

3 Likes

10 Likes

IMG_4796

Just hitting the trough. Hits everything. Patience I say, that uptick is coming ā€¦

Iā€™ve not binned my old current account yet, but itā€™s purely there to receive salary. That feeds Monzo, where everything is run from. Yep, itā€™s far from perfect at the moment, but I have optimism that it will eventually be better than legacy offerings. And I like being part of this journey to shape that offering. Keeping existing CA for me is the ā€œbelt and bracesā€. Iā€™m no worse off than I was, yet Iā€™m on this new journey too.

If startups like Monzo didnā€™t try then older businesses get stale and complacent. Itā€™s good to challenge, keeps the world progressing.

15 Likes

My phone died the other dayā€¦

ā€¦ so did all access to my (potential) primary bank account.

Maybe iā€™m just old fashioned, but i simply cannot take the risk of a primary bank account without some other means of access.

4 Likes