Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) 💫

I agree who knows how it will look like in 6 months but till now Monzo’s record is not so great just as an example this what @tom said a year ago

Its still not available :zipper_mouth_face: I can give quite few more examples and I also understand things don’t always go to plan but Monzo are failing to followup on these sort of statements IMO transparent roadmap is also like a moving target :dart:

I still believe Monzo will improve and in few years time I am hoping to see a rock solid product and innovative CA

5 Likes

Got to admit, I’ve considered going back too. Only thing that’s stopped me is that I try to keep ethical. So all the big banks are out for me.

But really thinking about it, there’s not much Monzo does that my (absolutely terrible) Co-op Bank account didn’t do. Pending transactions and instant notifications are really the only things I’d miss.

The direct debit on payday thing and the lack of any overdraft as a workaround for that has made me think majorly - you’d think sorting something like that would be a huge priority.

As an Android user it’s even worse as we’re so far behind iOS. It’s been well over a year since anything significant was added or changed in the Android app - and it was said we’d have parity for the current account release.

I originally started looking around because they (Co-op) didn’t support Android Pay - they support Samsung Pay now though.

N26 has also got me a bit interested.

3 Likes

And yet Monzo has grown so much in size. I guess that is mostly in terms of COps

I think they’ve been focused on moving all the prepaid customers to current accounts and it feels as if this has delayed progress on other improvements.

They seem to be getting nearer to 50% completion on that so I’d expect some current account improvements to be coming through in three or four months at a guess.

1 Like

And to piggyback off your comment, legacy banks could probably get more done to close the gap in 3-4 months than Monzo could (going by the last 3-4 months)

Using Barclays as an example, their mobile app has come on leaps and bounds in the last 3 months or so, to the point where it’s actually really good.

Didn’t switch to Monzo because I think they are not really there yet for me. I see people so excited about Monzo here but they don’t want to know that everyone has different requirements.

Also weird that Monzo staff and all hardcore fans always stay quite on topics which are critical u feel they expect these sort of threads to die in few days and then it’s back to business as usual :thinking:

2 Likes

What I hope is the case - and I somewhat suspect - is that Monzo are now working on loads of things in parallel and once things finally start coming out the end of the pipeline they’re going to start coming out thick and fast

9 Likes

Just as a contrasting data point: I consider myself a hardcore fan and I think I’m being extremely critical of Monzo in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Im a “hardcore fan” and investor - :slight_smile: yes people have different requirements plainly , there are maybe 10 on this thread that have different requirements - which is perfectly acceptable - “hardcore fans” cant really win - if they don’t comment they are “staying quiet hoping for the thread to die away” - or has been mentioned quite a few times previously if they do comment they are “stamping on dissent” - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - Monzo are getting quite close to 200,000 CA users - yes you won’t please all of these people all of the time- not really much more to say - if it doesnt suit you change to a different provider, or don’t swap over to Monzo - as with most things regarding Bank account choices none are punishable :slight_smile: - Yes Monzo isn’t perfect , yes they have slowed down their development updates , no bank account is perfect , no bank account does all things for all people - life eh :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Soon enough, with open banking and APIs, any old bank plus aggregator app will equal Monzo. I’m really not sure Monzo are moving fast enough not to be overtaken by developments elsewhere - I’ve been saying this for a long time but it really seems to be coming true now.

I’ve been looking forward to a big update where everything is suddenly added and at parity - that they might have been beavering away at in the background. But I’m losing faith. :frowning:

3 Likes

@SC95 I’m really sorry you’ve had this experience and I’d like to thank you for writing such comprehensive feedback. I’m going to pass this on so someone can reach out to you over chat.

6 Likes

It’s probably worth noting that legacy banks have been around for decades* and had time to really develop their offerings whereas Monzo are still babies in the banking world.

Sure Monzo have a long way to go in terms of parity with legacy banks but they’re only been around for 2 years! Things take time…

*MetroBank has only been around since 2010 or so but that’s quite a bit of time compared to Monzo’s 2 years.

1 Like

Agreed. The current account to me works less well than the pre-paid card, due to the fact that Monzo.me no longer works with a few banks, notably First Direct.

Every time that I send someone a Monzo.me link, and then have to explain to them that it didn’t work is an embarrassment to me and tarnishes the Monzo brand. When will this be resolved?

1 Like

Let’s just say that nobody should be aspiring to be Metrobank, based on my attempts to deal with them… :thinking:

3 Likes

Do Monzo have time though? The momentum they gained as a new bank can only last so long - at some point they just become another choice in a crowded market. That could be months… it’s certainly not years.

The good bits of monzo keep me around… indeed I don’t have any issues beyond the overpriced overdraft, but there probably aren’t enough people like me to sustain a bank - the issues raised in the various threads recently need to be addressed.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s weird. That should work fine. Could you reach out to us over chat so we can look into the specifics for you?

4 Likes

There are currently so many reasons why people will and will not stay with Monzo. Especially at such an early stage. Any view is perfectly acceptable. :muscle::ok_hand:!

For me, it means so much more than the features within the app. Company values play a huge part, being here to whitness the beginning of something huge, is another.

Monzo would never claim they are currently the most feature rich, but they aim to be. That’s what counts for me :clinking_glasses:

I currently have a Nationwide current account. At the moment, it sits with a £10 balance and does nothing. However, it’s there if I need to pay in any cash, or do anything else I can’t currently do within Monzo.

I want to be here to whitness the whole revolution. I want to play a part in the future of banking. And being here from this early stage makes it possible. :tada:

16 Likes

I agree - being a “monzo fanboy” or whatever is the up to date terminolgy is - I have a dormant Lloyds account that I use to transfer money into my Monzo account as and when needed - I like Monzo tracking all my spending, as I have previously said Im an investor and an iPhone user - yes I would like to have the ability to set the start date for budgeting, yes I would like repayments for shared bills to be credited to my budget targets, yes I would like CASS, yes I would like interest (not going to happen, but having just received my Starling interest of 1p for the last month I won’t be fretting over it :slight_smile: ) is this the proverbial “deal breaker” “Im out of here if I don’t get such and such” …no :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@HughWells Instead of reaching out to one person… why not be TRANSPARENT like you said you always would and publish when we might expect new things to start coming?

Nothing set in stone just an update to say “Hey guys, we’ve been working on X, Y and Z… it’s going great and we expect it to come in the next few weeks…”

We have nothing to be excited about… it’s all " it’s coming", “soon”, “we’re working on it”…

Just some updates wouldn’t go amiss?

Also been waiting 7hours now for an initial message back in the chat

7 Likes

The reason I’m reaching out to Sufi individually here is so we can discuss some of the specifics on their account.
I know we’ve been a bit quiet over the last few weeks but that’s been because projects like the Current Account have been coming to a close and many people have been on annual leave. There will be more news and blog posts soon but I’m afraid the reason we’ve been saying “we’re working on it” is because, well, we are!

If you have any specific questions I’d be happy to answer them?

6 Likes