Support for Samsung Pay

(Rika Raybould) #291

I don’t think that’s entirely fair, we do support Google Pay and I don’t believe there’s anything really left that our Android app doesn’t have compared to the iOS side.

If we could prioritise it, given some testing hardware and assuming no technical/legal blockers, I’d be happy to build Samsung Pay support but as of now, it’s a hard sell internally to prioritise adding a new digital wallet to support the Tizen-based Samsung watches. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Nathan Steer) #292

Isn’t the fact that Samsung holds the largest market share of the mobile market a reasonable counter to this though? I would think that’s potentially a large potential customer base that Monzo are missing out on.

I do agree, however, that it’s unfair to say you guys don’t care about your Android customers :slight_smile:

(Rika Raybould) #293

Not entirely, we’d be looking at users with a Samsung Pay compatible device that does not also support Google Pay. As far as I’m aware, that’s just the watches. Given that anybody who owns a watch would also own a phone that supports Google Pay, it’s a hard argument to make.

Not saying it’s impossible or that we’ll never do it, it’s just still a very hard argument given the other things my team could be working on.

(Nathan Steer) #294

Fair enough, that seems reasonable :smile:

(Simon B) #295

To be clear, we built Apple Pay and Google Pay for phones, so that all of our customers would be able to use NFC payments on their phones. The fact that both companies have wearables that use those systems is really neither here nor there - additional work wasn’t required to support them.

Wearables are a small market no matter who sells the most watches or trackers right now, and the people requesting it aren’t without the option to use NFC payments, which is what makes it a hard sell.

With that said I think we will do this eventually, and perhaps the workload between Samsung/Fitbit/Garmin could be duplicated and worked on together to increase the viability, but it’s not clear right now when this might be possible.

I wasn’t referring to Wearables. Wearables are a flop by any metric. I was referring to the Samsung Pay installed on millions of Samsung Phones.

Having an alternative to Google Pay on Android is important because not everybody loves Google knowing everything about them. And a fair few legacy banks support Samsung Pay.

(Simon B) #297

The vast majority of the requests we get for Samsung Pay have been relating to folks that own Gear watches - I was addressing those requests as a whole rather than your specific post :grinning:

(Valeri) #298

Apologies for repeating myself, but I really think all can be resolved with probably 1h investigation on a Friday afternoon pre-pub to check technical specs and requirements before making a quick informed decision on what kind of effort it is going to be - somehow I doubt this has been done yet and I think it can go two ways:

• oh this is actually pretty easy, uses almost the same stuff we are using for GPay, we can consider it as someone’s side project
  • omg - that looks like it will require 5 months worth of effort - let’s backbench it for now…

(Jolin) #299

Is there something in particular that has lead you to this conclusion? Having followed this thread since the beginning (I can’t believe I’ve spent the time to read 288 posts :grimacing:), my impression has been that Monzo have a pretty good idea of (roughly) the amount of time/effort involved in supporting new payment schemes on their in-house Mastercard processor, and that is why they can’t justify the time at the moment.

(Valeri) #300

Hmm… I must have missed that, can you give me an example of where they have stated that?

I mean I might be in the wrong here but my feeling is that the general attitude towards it was more or less ‘too busy to consider it seriously’ (which is obviously both understandable and fair enough)

Don’t get me wrong, I am an Apple user and very happy with ApplePay on both phone and watch. However always interested in what the competition is doing.

not everybody loves Google knowing everything about them

In this case you shouldn’t be using Android to begin with. Not to mention, there’s no telling Samsung will do any better as far as privacy is concerned anyway.

I don’t want to derail the thread but there’s a difference between Google Android and AOSP Android.

The watch stays unlocked once you’ve put the PIN in until you take it off your wrist, then the next time you try to use Samsing Pay it will ask for the PIN again. Unless you use it a few times a day, it would seem like you have to put the PIN in every time.

(Jolin) #304

From 3 months ago:

And also just knowing that they have written their own Mastercard processor. That means it would have to go through a completely new certification process to add Samsung Pay. The big banks (and Starling) run on a handful of existing, third-party card processors. The card processor does the certification, so for one of the banks that uses them to add in a payment method is a much simpler and quicker task.

(Mark Collins) #305

Having just received a Samsung watch I’d love to use Samsung Pay by adding my Monzo card. I can’t at the moment.

(Stephen Spencer) #306

I believe Samsung Pay will only run on Samsung phones when Knox (their secure boot anti-tamper thing) is happy you have an original OS - so by definition you have to be on Google Android to run Samsung Pay on phones, thus you’ll always have the option of Google Pay too (barring l33t hacker ROM-mongers, if that’s even currently possible).

Hey guys,

When are you looking at adding Monzo to Samsung Pay please, i’d love to use it with my Samsung watch! :smiley:

(Stephen Spencer) #308

(Which would have appeared as a suggested thread while you were writing your new one)

(Hugh Wells) #309

This would require significant effort in building the services to support it, testing, certification and all the operations side of it.

It’s equivalent to building cash deposits I’d say, so it’s a bit of a trade off :slight_smile:

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #310

How was the pub? :smile: