Support for Samsung Pay

I’m not sure. I have little to no interest in the transport card feature of Samsung pay personally. I don’t live in London so I don’t know if there are benefits to using certain cards for the tube or something like that? :man_shrugging:

Not that I know of. You get daily and weekly capping if you use the same card for all journeys, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use the card elsewhere too.

Actually there is one important stat that we can look at that often gets overlooked. And that’s how many people attempt to add a Monzo card to Samsung Pay. When you have a Samsung device, just like when you have iOS and other Android devices, there’s prompts in the software to set up the Pay system. At this point, Samsung doesn’t know or care what debit card you have - plus, only a portion of our users are engaged enough with our communications to know what we support and what we don’t.

Therefore the amount of people who attempt to add it before finding out that it’s not supported is a significant data point that we look at.

It’s not the only data point - and this of course, doesn’t change whether we have the engineering time in any given quarter to actually build it - but it does have the ability to move it up or down the priority list.

10 Likes

Does that mean that Samsung send you this information, Simon? (Presumably it’s a good stat for them to share if it’s a large amount to try to get more providers onboard).

Edit: or is there a call made to Monzo systems by Samsung Pay to check whether you support the system that you are able to count? :thinking:

1 Like

We get a lot of this information through Mastercard. The mobile wallets are all Mastercard Digital Enablement Service and Visa Token Service behind the scenes. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That’s really interesting! Thanks :+1:

I guess the only other thing I wonder is how many people don’t attempt to add it knowing it won’t work or click that supported banks link before attempting it.

As you said, that stat is much closer than guesswork though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

+1 for Samsung Pay please
(Galaxy watch owner reasons)

Out of interest can anyone close to the matter explain why it would be so much work?

I would have through they would all be similar standards and so one it’s working for one provider it would be more or less than same process for others?

2 Likes

See my post about 50 above yours (you have to tap/click the :arrow_down_small: to see quotes from @SimonB:

1 Like

I’d really love to see Monzo on Samsung Pay. I much prefer the ui and I find that it’s far better integrated into my phone. Also, I’ve noticed that my loyalty cards seem to work better on Samsung Pay as opposed to Android Pay, has anyone else noticed this or do you thnk it’s just a coincidence?

Had no idea Monzo see attempted card adds to Samsung, will do that just to give another +1!

1 Like

Hi,

Are Monzo going to opt in to Samsung pay, I guess it’s not just me who has purchased the new Galaxy watch. The only digital wallet that can be used is Samsung pay I myself would find it so easy and convenient to be able to pay and tap with my watch using Samsung Pay and Monzo.

1 Like

No sign of it at the moment.

2 Likes

Hehe, you most certainly are not the only one… Samsung Pay has been a big discussion point for a pretty long time (with wearables being one of the major arguments) on the thread Anarchist linked.

3 Likes

I would like to see the support for Samsung pay

+1 from me.
With Samsung dominating the Android watch space currently, it does seem like the user base is larger than thought (not all Samsung Watch owners use Samsung phones). Very annoying they limit it to Samsung Pay >:(

I think Monzo really need to pull their finger out when it comes to these types of features. I heard of Monzo before Starling so opened an account with Monzo. After looking at Starling though I’m wondering whether I backed the right horse. Starling seems feature rich compared to Monzo but I clearly have a vested interest in the latter!

This topic has been going on since July 2017, nearly two years! It’s clear that the community wants this feature but it seems like their still not considering it.

Rise up! Get your pitchforks!

4 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve just opened a nationwide account just so I can use Samsung pay. You can say that everyone should use Google pay but I have the Samsung note 9 and on the new UI Samsung apps are so easy to use. The Samsung pay has some amazing native functionality baked in that Google pay simply can’t achieve. For example Google pay requires nfc to be always on which makes my phone beep every time any of my cards get near it. However samsung pay is really easy to use without warning and automatically turns nfc on and off. Also I have the galaxy watch and I had the galaxy gear S3 before that. I’ve researched it and it’s definitely Google’s fault as they’re completely unwilling to produce apps for tizen. The first Samsung watch has Google’s OS but it was terrible. That’s why they created tizen on watches, because Google simply wasn’t putting the effort in. It might be a while, but I think a lot of people would really appreciate Samsung Pay support.

3 Likes

Any reason you didn’t open a starling account? I believe they support Samsung pay.

Someone recommended Monzo to me. I’ll look into starling