Summary - Feedback thread

Thanks @tomsr. First post in the community, so still getting my bearings a bit! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem! Sorry I didnā€™t realise so a belated Welcome :wave:

If you want to you can Introduce yourself šŸ‘‹

2 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but once the ability to change our targets comes back, wonā€™t the Summary tab include all features the Spending tab included in a still-easy-to-consume way, with extra features that are optional that many of us find useful?

The amount spent each month is still easily accessible at the top of the tab and the amount spent in each category in relation to the target is still displayed in a list in the centre of the tab, along with the amount spent that month. The only differences I see are as follows:

• The inclusion of extra features that are useful to many of us and, in my opinion, are laid out in a way that allows them to be easily ignored by those they arenā€™t useful to.
  • The ability to swipe to see spending for previous months has been removed in favour of one click to see the total spent each month and two clicks to see a breakdown of spending in a previous month. I can see how this could be annoying, but the features are still there.
  • Spending for some categories are hidden behind a More link, but theyā€™re still there.

Itā€™s very important to keep in mind that it would take significant resource for Monzo to support two different designs/configurations of one of their core features, especially when all the features of the previous incarnation are in their new layout. This extra resource would impact development, testing, customer support, and other areas, which would cause Monzo to take longer to release exciting, useful new features.

1 Like

I disagree. Just like youā€™d prefer not to click More to see spending in other categories (something I donā€™t mind doing), Iā€™d rather not have to click the Home tab and then back to Summary just to be able to see how much I have left to spend when it could be displayed right by the amount Iā€™ve spent so far (arguably a more appropriate place for it; however I appreciate it being in both places for different reasons).

1 Like

Just wanted to quickly leave some feedback on this, as it doesnā€™t really work at all for me. I use a credit card all month so I can get points for spending, I then pay off the monthā€™s expenses around payday. I also at the same time put anything left over in to a pot. If I decide to do it the day after being paid, it just puts them into the summary for the wrong salary payment. Since I can only exclude transactions from summary, and canā€™t actually exclude moving money into pots anyway, the current month and previous month are then just completely wrong. I think it would work fine if I could just move a transaction into the previous summary.

It does make the functionality in Monzo a bit useless in general to spend all month on a different card - I donā€™t know how feasible it would be to pull transactions from another MasterCard, or proxy them in the first place?

As many have pointed out, the month start date definitely needs a lot more flexibility.

For example, I get paid on the 28th of each month; however, if the 28th falls on a weekend or a bank holiday, I will get paid on the nearest possible weekday prior to the 28th.

Eg. If the 28th is a Sunday, Iā€™ll get paid on Friday 26th. If the 28th falls on Easter Monday, Iā€™ll get paid on Thursday 24th (given Good Friday would also be a bank holiday).

I imagine this is true for others too as Iā€™ve had this method used by 2 previous employers too. Is this something Monzo would be able to account for going in a future release?

2 Likes

Weā€™re similar here, weā€™re paid on the last working day of the month.

2 Likes

30 days to go, no money to spend and Ā£1100 committed. Somehow everything is gravy?

good luck

Like many others I tried out the new Summary whilst it was in Labs, but quickly switched it off as it felt a long way from being ready to use. Iā€™ve been following this thread since Summary was pushed out of Labs (prematurely, in my opinion) and just wanted to echo what some others have said:

• Custom pay periods - Without custom pay periods the ā€œLeft to spendā€ and ā€œDays to goā€ features are always off for me. Iā€™m one of the people who gets paid on the last working day of the month, which is almost always a different date. I get my salary paid straight into Monzo so Iā€™m able to select it, but would still prefer to set payday manually with custom rules as others have suggested.

• Excluding incoming transfers - The inability to exclude incoming transfers from the Summary page quite often skews my targets. For example, I bought something last month which I returned for a refund. Most online retailers take between 5-7 working days to process returns and issue refunds, and I quite often get refunds through in the following monthā€™s Summary. Even though it is identified as the correct ā€œShoppingā€ category, it pushes my target above what it should be. Excluding incoming transfers would also help a lot with bill splitting with friends who arenā€™t on Monzo.

• The ā€œMoreā€ button - I donā€™t think the ā€œMoreā€ button in categories is being used in the best way possible. I would find it more helpful if all ā€œactiveā€ categories were visible by default in summary and any ā€œinactiveā€ categories were hidden under the ā€œMoreā€ button. As a side note, I think that the sort order of categories (which is currently in order of highest spend to lowest spend) could be improved. My bills are always going to be the highest spend, as my rent comes out on the 1st of the month. But I donā€™t need to see this category on top for the remainder of the month as it has the fewest transactions and the least relevance to my daily spending. Could a user-defined custom order be possible for categories? Something along the lines of the customise view in Apple Music would be great (Tick/untick to hide/show fields, drag and drop to reorder fields):

IMG_0623

7 Likes

At the moment if I spend Ā£80 on shopping it assumes Iā€™ve spend Ā£80 but in reality I went halves with a friend so I only really spent Ā£40. It would be good if the Ā£40 I received from my friend could be put back on the spending summary. Hope that makes sense, it hurt my brain a little :nerd_face:

1 Like

if you recatergorise the amount your friend gives you back Ā£40 (credit - which comes into your account in the general category ? ) to the same category that you spent your Ā£80 does the Ā£40 not then get put back in to your spending allowance and adjust the specific category spending target to reflect the Ā£40 credit to your account ?

1 Like

No unfortunately not. I tried it but the Ā£80 is still showing as spend against that target. The Ā£40 transfer is allocated to ā€˜shoppingā€™ but isnā€™t relflected.

Technically the Ā£80 is spent even if you recover Ā£40ā€¦so rather than change any spending figure is it not better to increase any budget for that category by Ā£40 instead?

thats strange on iOS , the above is how it works for me the payment from friend comes in as general category I recategorised it and it changes my target spending category :man_shrugging:

hmmm . the Ā£40 credit goes into your balance though so it reflects what you are spending on eating out ??? and what your balance is left to spend - if you increased your budget to reflect the Ā£40 (that you got back) it would really scew your targets budget if you went out regularly with 4 or 8 friends wouldnā€™t it ? - surely you want to know what you are spending on eating out not what youā€¦ andā€¦ a bunch of friends that pay you back are spending on eating out ???

if it worked for Paul :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining that, I never thought of it that way! I never ask my friends to pay me back for meals, if I take them it is my treat and I refuse any money they offer me. I just canā€™t stand the hassle of dividing up the bill - should we all pay a proportion or should we pay for what we ate, it all gets too messy for my liking.

2 Likes

Just to add to the discussion about bill splitting/being paid back, the above method used to work for me in the previous Spending page. In the new Summary page this doesnā€™t seem to work in the same way.

If I have a Ā£20 transaction and categorise it as ā€œGroceriesā€ for example, and then later someone transfers me Ā£10 I can categorise this as ā€œGroceriesā€ but it stays by default in the ā€œTransfersā€ category underneath ā€œIncomeā€ and does not seem to count against the target for ā€œGroceriesā€. My targets still suggest that I have spent the full Ā£20.

This seems like a design error in my opinion. Iā€™m not sure if others feel the same way but I only want to see my salary in the ā€œIncomeā€ section and not every transfer in from another account. If there was a way to manually include/exclude transfers from ā€œIncomeā€ or exclude them from Summary altogether then a workaround would be possible. At the moment it seems only outgoing payments can be excluded from Summary.

1 Like

I see what you mean and that could work but Iā€™d rather it be the other way round - the way @anon95680666 explained it :relaxed:

1 Like

Hey, yes this is what I mean. I agree with you and it seems like a fault so perhaps as Summary is so new, future updates will rectify this and give a more accurate account of spending