Summary - Feedback thread

Free lancers maybe? They could get paid from a standard bank transfer.

(Chinedu Umeh) #585

What percentage of Monzo users are freelancers.

The reason I ask is because the decision for users not being able to set dates manually seems a bit silly and not well thought out… Do monzo employees get paid on the weekend? If they are using summary constantly having to adjust it or have an inaccurate summary must be annoying? Hopefully enjoying enough for somebody to take it upon themselves to fix

100% agree that manually setting end dates for Summary should be a feature, but it would be really great if Monzo could figure out a way of predicting when people get paid if their usual pay day falls on a weekend or bank holiday (would save people having to manually adjust the end date every time too).

(Chinedu Umeh) #587

My sense is that it’s not a difficult programming thing to do, there’s just a reluctance to do it which is a shame because the product as it is doesn’t make money work for everyone

I’m not sure why it excludes committed expenditure (unless I’m missing something?)

Neither using the summary as is, or the overall budget works for me.

Summary assumes that I can spend all of the money in my account.

Overall budget doesn’t include commited spending.

In an ideal world I’d like to be able to simply say I have x amount to spend this month, and not have to add up my commited expenditure and subtract from my income to do this.

I want to spend less than my income every month, but currently there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to do this?

When you don’t have an overall budget set, Summary should be telling you what your balance is AFTER committed spending has been subtracted (even if the payment hasn’t gone out yet.)

Out of that, you can decide how much to make your “spending budget” and dump the rest in a pot. That way, you still have the money just in case but Summary won’t include it in your balance.

I don’t use the overall budget myself as it does not factor in coin jar roundups, which seems a bit counterintuitive to me but hey-ho :grin:

I know this isn’t a perfect solution by any means but it was the best I could come up with. Hope it helps if even only a little :blush:

(Paul) #590

Noticed something for the first time this month. I’ve added all common reoccurring spends to Committed Spending and then looked at what was left from my salary, minus a bit and then made this my monthly budget. Yesterday however my main balance was lower than my Left to Spend amount. I assume this is because I’m using Pots, some are IFTTT and move money every day but this isn’t being reflected in Comitted Spending. Without guessing how much in Pots each month and readjusting my budgets to counter this I would have gone overdrawn. So it seems like Pots amounts are needed in committed spend as well to avoid this problem.

(Phil Gyford) #591

Exactly this. I still don’t understand why we have to manually calculate and set the overall budget each month to take into account that month’s committed spending.

(Nathan) #592

The reason behind this I guess is because IFTTT movements aren’t a standing order or direct debit so wont be picked up automatically.

The only other way of making something appear in your committed spending is if you set one of the payments on your feed a recurring payment… so maybe this would work if your IFTTT payments are of the same value everyday?

This is just guestimates btw as I dont use the IFTTT payments and cant test my theory myself.

(Leonard) #593

Does anyone know if Summary works well with Amazon Prime subscriptions? It doesn’t get confused with other Amazon purchases you make does it?

(Paul) #594

Hey, thanks for the reply. It’s not just ifttt stuff but no pots can be marked as reoccurring payments so none end up in committed spending. I dare say this is might be quite tricky to automate so could be a long way off yet

(Harry) #595

Hey @Jami, why do bank transfers to my credit card and friends appear in the committed spending section instead of the spending section? The amounts are never the same and certainly aren’t regular!

(Jami Welch) #596

Hey Harry,

Were these payments scheduled bank transfers? If so, all scheduled Faster Payments show in Committed Spending, because they’re committed to ahead of the payment happening.

(Harry) #597

Nope, these are off the cuff transfers that I’ve made to a credit card via FP and a friend via FP.

Edit; it only happens to when I make a faster payment to these two accounts :man_shrugging:t3:

(Jami Welch) #598

Weeeeiiird, Are they marked as recurring when you look at their transaction details page?

(Harry) #599

Nope, they have the bare minimum details! I’ll dm you some screenshots.

After another month of use I can understand where ‘left to spend’ is calculated from & tentatively rely on it a bit more - yay. And I really like the ability to set a card payment as recurring - I’ve used that on the first of this month’s Asda orders, so that Left to Spend/Committed spending is expecting me to make another payment of that amount once more this month.
But I’m still thwarted in using the Budget/Summary/Spending the way I want, & the way I thought it would work. Hope it helps if I (try to) explain what I wanted:
I want a way to see at a glance how much I’ve spent in a category this month. I don’t care if it was a committed spend or a card payment, I just want to see it in one place. Ideally, that place would be Spending (if I imagine working with the model we have right now)
E.g. say I want to pay 700 a month towards my debt repayments & I decide to categorise all payments towards my credit cards as Finances. I’d like to be able to set up a Budget of £700 & have all transactions - both my regular DDs/SOs & any adhoc payments I make - count towards that budget & be summarised on the, ahem, Summary page.
Same deal with Groceries - now that I’ve used the recurring payment option to make my two regular big Asda orders predictable, they’ve stopped aggregating with my other Groceries payments & aren’t being reflected in my Groceries Spending Budget. I have to choose between Left To Spend working (because it knows I’m going to spend £60 next week) or Budgets working (reflecting that I’ve already spent £X in non-predicted purchases)

(Jim Hough) #601

Oddly, it’s not possible to mark an outgoing bank transfer as a repeating payment. In my case (and for many others) a standing order to, for example, pay my milkman is not appropriate because the monthly cost is subject to change (if he misses a delivery or invoices a week late due to holidays).
I imagine this is a simple improvement to make since the logic and UI elements are identical to same for card payments.
-jim

I have some similar annual payments - eg the rental for my bicycle locker and an annual subscription to a membership organisation. It would be great to be able to have these show up as committed spending

(Jim Hough) #603

Ah that’s a good point, I pay for car and home insurance
(also MOT and Tax) on a yearly basis so there is no DD. I’m thinking I’ll use recurring payments into pots that reflect the expected renewal cost. That would ease any feeling of sudden expense and (I assume) also flag that as committed spending.