[iOS] Summary and Budgets just doesn't work for me at all

It looks like there’s a major bug with the sending summaries. For example, I have £150 per month set up as a transport budget limit and each day I get the tube and the transactions are correctly tagged with the transport category yet only some of them are taken off the amount left to spend on travel for the month. Here are some screenshots proving my point.
IMG_8B9296C66D6B-1 PNG

Here there are clearly 2 transport transactions that don’t show up in the transport budget. This renders the whole budgeting section completely useless as it just doesn’t work properly.

3 Likes

What’s your monthly budget period dates? The October ones are showing but not November

3 Likes

October 29th to November 28th.

1 Like

So 3 updates later and this still hasn’t changed and doesn’t work properly.

It appears that if you click on a transaction then, in the “Subscriptions” section turn on “Repeating payment” transactions at this place for this amount will no longer count towards spending in the “Spending” section of the budgeting tab. Obviously this is incorrect as, even if told Monzo I’m going to spend £5.80 on the tube every day, I still want to see each £5.80 come off my total travel budget for the month as this may include other forms of travel and tube travel for amounts other than £5.80.

This is pretty woeful on the usability front to be fair, it’s one of the key features that sets Monzo apart from regular banks.

Also, you can’t stop tracking a transaction amount as a regular payment unless you find a transaction for the exact amount at that vendor, click on it and unsubscribe. So if I spend £25.36 at Wairose one week and select to track my grocery shopping I can never turn that tracking off unless I scroll mile back down the list and find the exact transaction. Ugh! How did you think this was usable!?

1 Like

Yep got the same problem and for TFL transactions too! Summary → Spending is inconsistent and it doesn’t show the actual amount spent this period! Also committed spending has the same issue and doesn’t reflect the recurring payments I’ve set.

Payments showing in summary:

But here are the actual payments this period:

Yeah I mentioned it here also

Nobody seems bothered, but every time I say get rid of summary because it’s useless people jump down my throat.

1 Like

Just because it doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t work for anyone else.

4 Likes

Are the above examples working for people?

Summary is still evolving. I haven’t looked at your examples in detail, but it sounds a bit like the spend is getting split between ‘spending’ and ‘committed spend’. Or I might be wrong and it’s a bug that quite niche.

Either way, I’m sure Summary will continue to evolve. What I’d prefer they didn’t do, though, is to get rid of Summary just because it doesn’t work for some people. Some of us rely on it!

3 Likes

Yes, I think it’s what Peter_G says. ‘Committed Spending’ and ‘Spending’ are both included in the ‘Left to Spend’ calculation but when Committed Spending becomes actual spent money it does not get included in Spending. This makes no logical sense to me and I can’t see why it would to anyone else either.

I guess once you’ve worked out what’s going on the work around is to set your spending budget for a category minus the committed spending for that category but how a bank can think users are going to get that or how that decision got past UAT is anyone’s guess.

Yes, the assumption is that you need to budget for the costs (and money) that you have control over.

If something’s going out on a monthly direct debit, i.e. Committed Spending, then you have no budgetary control over it - it’s getting spent regardless.

1 Like

For me that was fairly obvious and intuitive, so I would guess the user groups were just full of people like me :wink:

My budget has always been for the money I have after my regular monthly payments come out.

I can see how that might not work for everyone though.

I wouldn’t object to it being the other way around.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.