Starling Feedback

You can in effect get a second card by signing up to Curve

4 Likes

Google Pay and Android Pay are the same thing. Theyā€™ve simply rebranded Android Pay to Google Pay.

8 Likes

That makes things a lot better :face_with_monocle:

Samsung Pay :upside_down_face:

Starling has just announced ā€œSettle Upā€ which is essentially their version of Monzo.me.

More info on their blog: https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/introducing-settle-up/

5 Likes

Aye, as I understand itā€™s purely a branding thing, and Android Pay is being renamed Google Pay.

1 Like

Sadly, they seem even more restrictive than Monzo.me and only accept UK registered cards though, which is a shame :frowning:

1 Like

I like how they seem to think that ā€˜settle upā€™ will get you paid, how will sending a link get you paid if bank and sort code hasnā€™t?

ā€œSorry mate send the link again and Iā€™ll do it laterā€ will be the new response :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Just opened the Starling app, and was presented with ā€œupdated terms and conditionsā€ which I had to accept. No summary pointing out the main points that have changed, which is worse than all legacy banks which provide this; instead of expecting you to read the whole document and somehow do a compare with the previous version. :frowning_face:

12 Likes

Exact same thought. They could have made it easier.

1 Like

This, indeed, I never understood either. (Same about PayM, etc.) The one use case I do have for this type of functionality (payment from friends/family outside the SEPA area) isnā€™t well supported due to severe restrictions on which country a card needs to be from.

Iā€™d love for my family in Egypt, for example, to just pay me something that I ordered for them online, but bank transfers from Egypt to UK are hideously expensive. Still stuck with using PayPal or cash.

Couldnā€™t agree more! As much as I find Monzoā€™s T&C extremely deficient, this is the other extreme - who on earth is going to read that much?!

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve possibly just signed over my first-born child in return for using their app. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I just got a notification stating (I think) that my Starling card has automatically been added to Google Pay.

I pressed the notification to be taken into the Starling app, got presented with the new Terms and Conditions, but it didnā€™t show me the notification I wanted to read, and itā€™s gone from my Android notifications so I canā€™t read it again.

Anyway, Iā€™ve never used Android Pay, so not sure how Starling could add my card automatically (although coincidentally I have actually been waiting for Google Pay to appear so I can see what itā€™s all about, and was going to choose my Starling card to link to it anyway).

Can anyone clarify what the full notification message was about, and how my card has potentially already been linked to something iā€™ve never used?

3 Likes

Yes, the notification was a bit weird.

There is nothing going on there. Android Pay is rebranding to Google Pay. Any cards previously loaded onto Android Pay will be available in Google Pay. Including Starling. Nothing to write about, reallyā€¦

But Iā€™ve never used Android Pay, therefore have no cards linked to it.

Google Pay is going to be my first time of using mobile payments (when it properly appears in the app store)

Oh wow. If they just sent the notification to all customers, regardless of whether they had enrolled their card in Android Pay, their notification was even dumber than I thoughtā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why i wanted a second opinion of what the notification was about, as itā€™s confused me.

FYI - it was sent to everyone on Android.

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/introducing-google-pay/3569/15?u=harryjru

1 Like

Itā€™s from Starling community link to check how their Settle up look like;

1 Like

I still donā€™t get the option to activate this in my app. I wonder if itā€™s being rolled out gradually.

The URL isnā€™t nearly as good as monzo.me, but I guess most people will be sending it as a link anyway.

4 Likes