Starling Feedback

Fair point. It’s not fair to say they’re on a faster cycle then. I suppose on the pre paid card you got the impression it was “static” when in reality behind the scenes I imagine Monzo are working 24/7 focusing on the actual current account. So prob not the accurate thing for me to say. :flushed:

1 Like

Sorry, Tim, I was not criticising you. I think Starling and Monzo have just approached things differently. In terms of product and feature set, it is fair to say Starling is way ahead. Monzo, however, looks like an interesting prospect. Let’s hope they can deliver soon. N26 said to launch next year in UK.

3 Likes

The n26 is a massive challenge to them both. They’re way ahead of both of Monzo and Starling.

That’s the real competition!

N26 would have to seriously up their support game to compete with Monzo

1 Like

No that’s fine. :grinning: but true. If a Monzo engineer read that who done an insanely long shift will be like “okay???” :grinning:

But yes it’s a really good time for banks. Competition is heating up. The loser here will be the legacy banks. The pace and cost of innovation to compete against these smaller, speedier and flexibile startups will be interesting.

…but no need to up support game to compete with Starling.

1 Like

I just checked their site. Initial impression it does look more feature complete. That would be interesting.

It’s prob a coincidence. Or someone on Monzo reading my thoughts or twitter comments. But literally just been offered my current account. :joy:

1 Like

Disagree. Customers will sign up based on the products/services/features they offer, then some may leave due to poor customer service but if they capture enough new customers they can cope with the churn. It is no time for Monzo to be complacent. As for some time in 2018 the last time they commented it was to be in the first half of the year.

How has this been so far (I am assuming you have N26)

N26 is no worse than Starling customer service but not as good as Monzo. Leader of the pack remains Monese.

2 Likes

Can’t put Monese in the same bracket as fully licenced banks though, just my opinion.

They offer a current account with sort code, direct debits plus stuff Monzo and Starling don’t like SEPA payments and IBAN. So I think they are comparable as for me they currently offer more banking services than Monzo.

Don’t Monese charge a monthly fee?

Very slow, it wasn’t in app chat - but this may have changed.

I had a SEPA transfer for a signifcant amount of money go wrong, contacted them and got an email back 8 days later asking if it had cleared.

The app is excellent though, apart from the poor faceID implementation. I like the market too.

yes Monese do charge a monthly fee of £4.99 as long as there is sufficient balance in your account. If the money is not there they don’t charge you (unlike some banks)

I looked at all the ‘banks’ Monese, Starling and Monzo, but on paper (screen!) they all looked very alike but Monese stood out in that they charged.

I couldn’t see what made them that much better having charged a fee? They seemed to have what they did do for a fee clearly marked out which made me think I’d be charged for lots that I was already getting for free.

I see where you are coming from but for me the integration of SEPA payments and the great UI for that, the ability to receive funds from abroad, plus ability to deposit funds via PayPoint and Post Office make them a winner. Also I have been real pleased with the standard and style of reply from members of their customer service team

2 Likes

That’s good, as long as the customer service is good, it’s worth the monthly fee, it’s just the British aversion to wanting to pay for banking.

I don’t use any fancy features. I just like good customer service when I need it, and a decent app for basic banking. I have FD who to be fair are excellent and serve me very well. I like to see what’s new and up and coming.

2 Likes

Is it, or have they simply skipped things to get a product out faster? No US citizens allowed because they don’t comply with CRS, no gender-neutral titles, etc…

1 Like