Starling Feedback

Already got a preview CA and my plan is to move fully to Monzo in the future :+1:

1 Like

Sorry, badly worded. Safegaurd against being without a card I can use as a prepaid - it’s now become clear Monzo will be available to use in a similar way afer CA (Though I am not clear what constitutes running Monzo CA, must one transfer a current account or just have a recurring credit to Monzo CA. Also opologies for the typos my keyboard skills are feeble.

There are no such requirements. Top up when you like, as much as you like.

There will be no requirement to have your salary in, no minimum or maximum amount (although FSCS protection caps out at £85k!). You’ll just be offered the switch to the Current Account in app in a few weeks - nothing will change except you’ll get a new card (you’ll be able to continue you using your old one until it arrives) and once you activate it you’ll get an account number and sort code :slight_smile: And as @BobT says you’ll be able to top it up with a debit card as with the Beta programme, or you can bank transfer money into it (and obviously out as it is a current account!)

2 Likes

CA can be used like the prepay with occasional top ups, no ability to go into overdraft and no need to pay in regularly. Some bits currently missing like debit card top up but that’s coming :+1:

1 Like

If only @Citibadger, if only…
You’ve got that many “likes” for a good reason. If only this thread could maintain that degree of positivity.

yep it was about not wanting to say if it was due to a third party or naming a third party

normally…but…temporary high balance rules kick in in certain circumstances such as handling a relative’s estate as executor/executrix or receiving a large sickness insurance benefit etc in which case a higher level applies for 6 months subject to documentary evidence

1 Like

True, but I didn’t think it was worth going into nitty gritty…

1 Like

and then there are also different levels for joint accounts if Monzo introduce them…but they indicated they won’t

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realise at least four people pointing out how they felt let down by Starling for valid reasons was being negative? If it’s a common problem they should do well to solve it. I’ve seen it reiterated in Starling forums too.

7 Likes

Surely everyone is a grown up on here. I have both accounts Monzo (prepaid) and Starling.

Both are good in (different) places, and underwhelming in others. Embrace the difference people.

As time goes on, they’ll both improve 10 fold and in a year’s we’ll look back and laugh at how some squabbled over such minor things.

Starling may have the jump in starting straight with a current account, but Monzo will catch up quickly I have no doubt. I’m sure secretly most on here and Starling forums have both accounts out of curiosity, some won’t want to admit it!!

Just wait and see people, and have some proper constructive feedback on the way. There are no winners or losers.

6 Likes

Yes I’m sure you’re right.

Can’t tell if this is sarcastic?

But she is right. 4 people have come back with the same complaint and I personally know people who have the same problem. The whole point of forums is that issues like this are discussed to help companies do better at serving their customers. If it was all “positive” then we’d get nowhere.

Well, of course I’m not referring to valid comment on poor experiences - that’s good stuff for product improvement.

The “they’re crap and we’re great” can be a bit tiring…

5 Likes

That is a valid opinion if backed up with evidence - I prefer Monzo because the customer service seems better and I prefer the UI/UX. My opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep - and a valid one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I do have to agree Starling’s ticket system is a disaster, it’s one of those legacy live-chat systems where the interaction is synchronous akin to a phone call - once you start a chat you must stay online. If you don’t reply within a few minutes they “close” the ticket and you have to start all over - there is no way to just pick things up where you left off like you can with Monzo (or any other Intercom-based support system). Oh and when you finish the conversation they send you another message which is just a plain-text recap of the conversation you’ve just had (but without the “chat” layout, just text with Name: message)…

Personally I haven’t had an issue relating to canned responses/BS, but this friction of having to allocate 15 minutes of my time to constantly babysit the thing and make sure the chat doesn’t end because of inactivity was a huge pain and definitely made me think twice before using their chat - at this point I’d rather call them.

I wish they would just switch to Intercom like :monzo: does.

4 Likes

I had no idea it wasn’t the same system. That makes a lot of sense, I was wondering why they opened multiple chats which I couldn’t access/find afterwards. I like how I can look at my previous queries on Monzo. I guess that’s why there is a need for three options in the help section to get in touch since the chat function keeps disconnecting :thinking: might try messaging next time and see if I get a better/quicker response that way.

Unrelated to the whole CS discussion but I do like that you can toggle spending between categories and merchants per month quickly. I don’t really use the other sorting features on the spending tab for Monzo. The pie chart thing irks me every time I open the app tho, rather just see the transaction list.

Their system is Zendesk which is decent for e-mail support (in fact it used to be their main product) and now I guess they’re trying to transition to chat to compete with Intercom but they’ve screwed up big time on that one.

I hate that pie chart with a passion. I can’t believe despite all the complaints about it they still didn’t add a toggle to disable it… that would take maybe an hour of development time and would make so many people happier.