Starling Feedback

There customer service is SHOCKING still over 3 weeks with an issue and when they finally got back saying it’s not starlings fault - funny that so much for honest and open. :rage:

On the other had NEVER had an issue with mondo / Monzo support truelly a winner! :balloon:much rather Monzo look after my money :moneybag:

I expect it is because they use phone number/email as primary keys somewhere so if you re-sign up with the same details you essentially end up with all of your “previous” history. Sloppy database design usually catches you out later (I speak from experience!)

3 Likes

More than likely. The most frustrating bit, is it still shows as an active account on my credit file when it was closed in July. Which leads me to believe the account isn’t actually closed properly.

Argh. That is very bad (and probably a bit illegal I would think?)

I would have a moan about it to them about it as it could cause people real problems in certain cases, especially if they had an overdraft.

3 Likes

Not too sure but I have emailed them again to see if there is anything they haven’t done.

2 Likes

What’s not open and honest? Looks like you’ve had a reply on the forum that it sits with the merchant? Surely that is at least open?

Which credit checking app/company are you using? I use ClearScore and with all the credit cards/accounts I’ve closed in the past they’ve taken 3-4 months or longer to disappear… which is pants.

ClearScore and Totally Money. Hopefully by year end it will be gone.

1 Like

Sounds to me to be a variation of the offset mortgage idea.

I understand things have improved for you with Starling now, Scott. Good news :grinning:

Using both Starling and Monzo’s APIs to write an offline view of the transactions history. I haven’t written a GUI to it but I have the testing done as a CLI application. The developer docs both state that they are in beta, and can have breaking changes at any time.

Monzo was quite simple, add the transactions, check the state and if it hasn’t settled do a request to see if it has within a certain time span (rough guide, actually works differently than that to reduce api calls). Moving onto Starling, and the initial auth and presentment have different transaction IDs. When you are logging transactions for an offline history, it makes it means that you are using other data as a source for seeing if it’s the same transaction - most reliably being the timestamp.

I think from a developer standpoint, monzo is definitely ahead compared to starling for making things easier, but starling has more stuff to be able to do within their api.

4 Likes

And this is what concerns me so much with Starling - the API isn’t as good yet you can make payments through it!

Have you actually used Starling or is it just a pathological dislike to something different eg. Android v Apple? Its very noticeable in any thread where Starling gets a mention.

2 Likes

Nope, I have no problem with Starling. I have friends who use and like it and I’m sure it’s great - I had a look on someone’s phone. I don’t use it because I prefer Monzo, I think the UX in general is better. My point here was I don’t think it’s sensible to have an API endpoint where you can essentially programmatically empty someone’s bank account.

1 Like

The access from my brief look is tiered with level 3( if I recall correctly) having the ability to make payments. Again from memory I’m sure there a few hoops to jump through, applications reviews etc before you would be able to be let loose on that api. Even if it’s just for yourself.

2 Likes

Yeah they seem to have sensible controls / a tiered set of reviews to access certain APIs.

On the subject of payments, from January all sizeable European banks will be required to offer payment APIs to consumer current accounts (under a European law called PSD2). Monzo isn’t big enough to have to comply (yet :slightly_smiling_face:) but assuming the exponential growth continues, they will soon be legally required to make such APIs available. Starling have got themselves ahead of the industry, launching a decent API before the regulator forces their hand.

I think Monzo plan to do this as well, pretty sure the API is on a nearish roadmap card

4 Likes

I haven’t read the spec but does it allow more than just read only access?

I don’t see the problem with such an API endpoint - in fact I would like Monzo to have one as well. You should be able to authorise an application to do things on your behalf - what’s the issue?

3 Likes

Agreed. If it’s designed and implemented in a secure manner, I don’t see the problem. I’d like to be able to control my money, and this should also include controlling it programmatically.

2 Likes