Starling Feedback

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a bank account with a debit card, exactly the same as any other bank account with any other bank in that respect.

You can transfer money into it using it’s sort code and account number. The, ‘top up’, page and term, ‘top up’, is irrelevant. It’s simply and additional way to put money into your account.

4 Likes

I think it would help them to make this very clear. Have to dig deep to find three or four references on their website.

I think it’s a little disingenuous of them to market themselves as a legacy bank account alternative whilst they are still very much in development. Just be honest, open and upfront with customers.

That said, looking forward to their forthcoming iOS update this week.

3 Likes

My Metrobank is a current account, I use the debit card to buy things, the app does not have any mention of daily limits or top up limits like Starling

Then why have it there then, it looks like it is a prepay card

It’s only a limit on what you can transfer in by charging a debit card - probably because they have to pay a small charge on a debit card transaction.

You can transfer in pretty much what you want using any other method. Just completely ignore that screen and use it as you would any other bank account.

3 Likes

Yep, it really is that simple.

@anon72173902 I can certainly see how you can view the debit card top up as a negative.
I actually had to use this as my legacy bank won’t allow me to set up an FPS payment on their app. I need to go into the banking site and set up.

It is a really confusing UX to be fair

1 Like

As the others have said above it’s a standard bank account that you can spend money like your metro bank like a normal bank. It has sort code and account no so you can transfer money to it from your metro account if you like. The top up is another way to transfer funds in from a debit card. To be fair can see the confusion in that. You can also set up direct debits with it which you can’t in prepaid. You get wages paid into the account if you like.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Home Page

I’ve mentioned before that although I’m sticking around with Monzo because they just feel better as a company and I prefer the App, I’m using Starling more and more.

Today their ‘Goals’ feature has launched, so I’ve sacked off my Loot card too (turned me into a saving addict) - and with Apple Pay too it’s now pretty much my main account, I’m only having my salary go into FD so I can keep the account free and maintain the 5% saver.

They definitely have work to do still, but i’m finding less and less to moan about…

3 Likes

There new goals feature seems a bit undercooked, it doesn’t have round-ups or any time of automated deposits.

Agree there’s loads more to do (and hopefully it will come) but in the meantime it’s way better than my current eISA which I have for ‘day to day’ savings for things - ability to name/add photos etc. just makes it all a bit more fun.

I have other stuff for the future (I’ve got some 5% linked fixed savers for that and stocks/shares…) but for day to day categorising it’s good for now.

What do you mean by automated deposit?

no option to put in £x a week, a month or when payday is.

edit: looks like I was wrong

There is…

20171010_164120

how do you do that??

When you add money in, there’s a ‘when’ section underneath the total allowing you to set the frequency and date etc.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s because I’m on android…differences…? :confused:

With the new challenger banks I have big expectations. When something is launched that happens to be very basic then I’m left feeling disappointed.

All part of the journey, perhaps, but I’ve yet to find a challenger Bank App that’s better than a legacy Bank App. Hopefully that will change soon.

Also, Starling seems to employ lots of separate screens to achieve anything simple. They could reduce this, I think. Would help if they did some proper usability testing. It can only get better.

3 Likes

I think that’s where Monzo’s open approach shines, they quickly get feedback if the UI can be improved where as Starling spends lots of time working on a feature in-house without getting any external feedback.

1 Like