Starling Feedback

I get that but I think it’s a bit naive to think that’s ever going to happen on a forum for a competitor. Every time a new feature is released and discussed surely its part and parcel to discuss that feature in relation to the products competitors, of which the main one is the company whose forum this is. It’s a bit pointless discussing a feature if you’re not comparing it to anything else that exists especially if there is other very similar features out there. A reference point goes a long way. I don’t mean that this threads point is to debate monzo vs starling, I mean the threads point is to debate starling features (it’s not just a place to post what the features are and not discuss them) and I think with that comes comparison to their competitors.

5 Likes

Thank you, this is what I was trying to get at.

If people use Monzo and Starling (like I did at one point and many of others) then people will end up preferring one or the other, or even recommending the opposite. I joined Monzo first and ended up using Starling, which I now use occasionally. I prefer Starling, so does that mean I can’t explain why I prefer it on this forum without people jumping down my throat because I’m on the Monzo forum?

This topic should be neutral, feedback is just that. Informative and for people to take stuff away from it, ie new features they like that Monzo don’t have. Not to jump down their neck and say why you don’t like that feature.

Where does this say in the title ‘Starling debate’?

It says feedback.

feed·back

ˈfēdˌbak/

noun

information about reactions to a product, a person’s performance of a task, etc., used as a basis for improvement.

Which part of that mentions anything about a debate? It clearly says informations or reactions which could be used as basis for improvement.

Not wanting to debate this too :rofl: but…

Debate is healthy for a forum, it promotes discussion and community building. Otherwise we would just have topics that are lifeless.

Do you like cheese?
I like cheese
I do not like cheese.

End of discussion.

I want to question why people don’t like cheese because it is interesting to me and I might learn something, plus I would love to highlight certain types that they may not have tried or been aware of. I’d welcome that whichever side of the argument I stood on and if I didn’t want to debate I wouldn’t comment further after giving my opinion. As long as it doesn’t get personal a debate is good in my opinion and should be welcomed on here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yup. Too many times it has been:

I don’t like cheese so you can’t like it either. And if you do, you’re an idiot.

To be honest Starling couldn’t control its forum and I’m glad they closed it…

I actually like the product. No bank is perfect but this one is pretty close.

1 Like

I totally agree with your sentiments. Personally I use Starling for everything - they are my main bank and my salary gets paid in, Direct Debits come out and I do all my spending with it. I have kept my Nationwide account open for the FlexPlus benefits - £13 can’t be beaten for what you get, particularly the family mobile phone cover.

I have a Monzo account but have never really used it. In fact I closed it earlier this year but decided to reopen it recently. I would have no problem switching from Starling to Monzo in the future as I really like some of the features that Monzo currently have and are planning to launch (coin jar and digital cheque imaging are two of the main features that come to mind). I also really like the culture and openness of Monzo. However, for me, I just really don’t like the look and feel of the Monzo app. For that reason I can’t ever see myself using it much.

Which leads me onto my second point regarding customer numbers. I’m one of the million but don’t currently use my account at all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking it - a million current accounts is a fantastic achievement. But there are many ways you can look at customer numbers and compare with the competition. Just as N26 has a bigger market to go for, you could argue that a fairer comparison would be active customers. Also, although Starling have around 250,000 customers (I believe), many of those will have multiple accounts. I have three - personal, joint and business.

At the end of the day all of these new mobile-based challengers are great for competition and they’re all helping to shake up the banking industry. It doesn’t have to be us and them - there is plenty of opportunity for Monzo, Starling et al to succeed.

8 Likes

In a nutshell :grinning:

7 Likes

And how many of them are not used at all, so 250,000 is small in real terms.

Despite all the press Starling got compared to the other new breed of banking product, number wise it’s doing very poorly. Not even MSE or its constant press coverage at the beginning of the year did much.

2 Likes

Letter from ceo

The real race is for deposits and profitability, while building a sustainable lead on the technology side. The number of accounts is just a sideshow at this point.

1 Like

I actually pointed this out on the starling forum when they said they weren’t putting interest rates up.

In all honesty it’s still the notifications that are keeping me - if metro bank introduced real time notifications and money pots/goals I’d switch tomorrow!

Also, why is B Bank never spoken about? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yeah I read that fluff, reminds me of the shareholder letter NatWest sent last year.

1 Like

Apt comparison. It surely has the same purpose - reassure everyone their money is not disappearing.

If their monthly throughput is above Monzo’s with x4 less users…then about 10/15% maybe?

Is there an unofficial Starling forum now?

Here? :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, set up by some former Starling Forum members.

2 Likes

It’s not just for talking about Starling, you can discuss anything about banking as there are categories for a number of things. There’s even a discussion about whether Viennese Whirls are cakes or biscuits (sorry that was my fault!).

1 Like

Amazing

2 Likes

obvs really its a biscuit :slight_smile:

1 Like

How could that be counted as a cake?