Starling Feedback

I hope someone else can find it, because I can’t.

I remember @cookywook posting (around 2 months ago), that Monzo were allowing people to “do more” with their account before the card arrived.

I remember, because I said I was disappointed you couldn’t use the card, and if you can’t use the card… What’s the point?

The answer was… “Setting up direct debits, bank transfers, adding payees etc”.

Or something like that.

2 Likes

notifications :white_check_mark:
savings goals :white_check_mark:
fee free foreign card use :white_check_mark:
Google Pay. :white_check_mark:

:sunglasses: :monzo:

3 Likes

OK - Someone needs to find it :joy:

I’ve tried and failed - Someone must remember??

I remember seeing this, but I thought it was way back and regarding the prepaid account. :thinking:

I set up my Joint Account yesterday and I can already use my existing Payees from my Personal Account (better than Starling) and have done so to set-up Standing Orders. I’ve also setup two Direct Debits using the account details that I got straight away, obviously as I only set them up last night, they haven’t shown up in-app just yet.

I am however missing the ‘add to Apple Pay’ and start using the account straight away function.

Other thing is that the Profile logos are pulled in from the users own accounts and that also works!

1 Like
2 Likes

The thing that originally turned me off Monzo was when they introduced the £200 limit on foreign ATM withdrawals before charging a fee. Starling still manage to provide this service without any fees, which is a big plus point. I’d love to think that Monzo will revisit this decision at some point in the future but I suspect not.

One thing I like about Monzo is the round-up feature, something a lot of users requested via the Starling community and even got a mention in their last roadmap but, unfortunately, they recently confirmed it’s not being developed.

I do prefer the Starling look and feel but Monzo’s recent “big list” really peaked my interest. I was really impressed with the communication they put out, the pace of development and the updates on what was achieved.

9 Likes

I’m curious how you’ll know if Starling do start to cap ATM limits. Given past communications, you’ll likely first find out by hitting the limit while abroad. :zipper_mouth_face:

8 Likes

Thanks for finding that; I was also looking. It seems, at least from my experience and talk to CS, that this hasn’t gone full rollout yet. I wonder if this is still an experiment?

1 Like

Starling has their fingers in a lot more pies than Monzo - their entry into the platform as a service, business banking and payment services counter that. Monzo has to make the current account self sufficient has that is the product, hence charging for it.

2 Likes

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t going mad.

Forgot it was from “Making Monzo” - I thought it was a fully published release.

@cookywook - Any update on this one?

2 Likes

Have asked for them to fix this… hopefully if we get more traction they might change it:

3 Likes

Nationwide do this. Well, sort of: if you have a card in Apple Pay, and order a new card, Apple Pay automatically updates. I’m assuming Google Pay/Samsung Pay also do.

3 Likes

Amex put the contactless logo on both sides for me? image image

1 Like

“Same Day Monzo” is a project we are still working on!

Don’t have any specific timelines to share (although I’ll see what I can find out!) but there’s been a lot of activity on that project recently from what I can see, so it seems to be moving quickly :purple_heart:

14 Likes

Amex so that as well I think, hopefully means it won’t be long until you can add it immediately once your card is generated for the first time

Personally I found the forum really useful for finding out how to do something without having to pester customer services. Or discussing how to make best use of features. Would anyone be interested in a customer forum or general fintech forum where this could continue?

2 Likes

If I CASS away from Monzo in the past it easy to get a new account number?

It is sad to see the Starling forum close as their was genuinely helpful people and staff. I know if I had an issue the Staff members , Gurus and other forum members on there were very helpful. Now if I got an issue I to go via the in app chat. I have had mixed experience with that chat in the past. Nothing major but gives me little pause.

But in the past whenever i spoke to Monzo staff they were seriously good.

Starling is not “main” account its simply a spending account and I have held off from moving my main bank elsewhere while I watch the fintech space develop. I am happy with Starling and despite its flaws overall I am happy with the product. I am not going to chose a bank whether it has a forum or not or else I would have switched my main bank ages ago. Starling despite it flaws does work well.

But one things I like about Monzo while being on here:

Transparency. Its refreshing seeing a road map getting “ticked off”. Its also nice to have real conversations with people from Monzo. There is little “corporate speak” its just real people trying to make the best product they can. That is so refreshing.

I am genuinely am interested Monzo it was the bank that got be interested in fintech in the first place and I have been watching them constantly even when I been on the Starling side of the fence.

3 Likes

I believe Nationwide use TSYS to process card payments, much like Starling use GPS, so the hard work has likely already been done. It’s one of the reasons Nationwide were surprisingly quick with Samsung Pay.

1 Like

Pretty much everything that I want to say about the Starling forum being closed has been said by others, but the key point for me are:

• Monzo was the first forum I decided to sign up for and contribute to (you can count the number of forums I’ve signed up to on one hand). I think that says something for the community here and the fact that I was sure that Monzo valued their forum community. Likewise I hoped for that over at Starling.

• When I contribute I hope it will be valued not just by the community but by the organisation that is running the forum. I learned a lot from the contributions on their forum, just as I do here. Now the time I spent there and more importantly the time spent by many others is lost for the future. That doesn’t show much respect for those who were involved.

• Clearly having a Starling forum is not a good fit for where they want to go in the future, and I respect that. Similarly they will have to respect that I won’t be using their product much in future.

• @simonb said a few important things about community being about people. Recently an organisation I work with launched a forum for a specific purpose for a small group of people (and I hope it will grow), and I nearly invited people to join from the admin account we have for that forum. I stopped and I decided that it should be about people and so used my own account for those invites. It seems I am in the right place here :slight_smile:

I hope the Monzo forum will stay in place for a long time to come!

4 Likes