Harrods Bank; Starling Bank = semicolon

Starling Bank, and Redwood = Oxford comma

1 Like

I literally had to ask Google this

Screenshot_20180125-193904__01

1 Like

Fair, just don’t start using Oxford spellings :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The lack of an Oxford comma between sculptor and architect would change the meaning from two professionals to one who did both jobs.

Semicolon doesn’t work here because the last two banks aren’t part of a separate phrase. It should really use brackets as @mrw34 showed above.

2 Likes

That example is a bit ambiguous, as even with the Oxford comma it could be a single person. Here’s a better example (with thanks to @evangelskies who introduced me to this beauty):

:joy:

15 Likes

Ah, a nice little throwback :joy: I love that example, I whip it out whenever someone says it isn’t important

5 Likes

Learnt something today. I guess thanks Trump :trumpet: :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

That is f’ing beautiful. Probably the only time Trump is actually useful for something. :joy:

2 Likes

Cheeky image

1 Like

it makes good business sense to target customers looking at your competitors, contrast that with a Lloyds customer keeps seeing an advert for Lloyds after they have been to their banks homepage to access internet banking :wink:

4 Likes

Signed up to Starling to give it a go and compare it to Monzo.

Sign up was a bit of a pain in the ass (may have been my own user error though) but I had to submit a few different documents as some were not accepted so took about a week to sort out.

Received the card in the post in a pretty cool little cardboard design. Not important but a nice little touch. I think I prefer the actual design of the Starling card to the Monzo card. Although the Monzo card does get a lot of attention when I produce it to pay as it nearly blinds the cashier with how bright it is :joy:

App wise I do prefer Monzo and actually find it a lot faster with notifications. I prefer the way the transactions appear in Monzo too.

The card tab on Starling is great as I like how it shows the card number, CVV and expiry date. (I understand why some people may not like this but I find it useful).

Goals Vs Pots

I prefer Goals due to how its set out on Starling and on one tab so you can see them all together. Also, prefer how it gives you the % of what you have saved towards your goal.

Overall I prefer Monzo.

A big shout out to the Monzo customer service team, always very helpful and quick at responding. Can’t speak about Starling as I actually haven’t dealt with them yet.

6 Likes

I come in as an Android user having used both banks for a little bit now. Sorry if this seems like a dig at either bank - it’s not. I really like both for different reasons and I’m kind of on the fence right now. So here goes…

Starling pros for me:

Interest on positive balance. 0.5% up to £2000 and 0.25% above this to a certain limit. Biggest pro for me.
CASS to be able to quickly ditch my old legacy bank and not have to update tons of direct debit payments.
Card arrived next day in a pretty box in a black envelope which made me go oooh.
Scheduled payments into Goals.
Overdraft offer straight out of the box up to £2500, with competitive rates and more control over the amount.
Ability to control card security more granularly, e.g. stop online payments or contactless, etc.
They have a marketplace, ready to be filled up with goodies, apparently.
You can link Yolt to your Starling bank account - great app albeit slightly inaccurate during the first month if you’re transferring money around left, right and centre trying all these banks out together.

Monzo pros:

They’re called ‘Pots’ and not ‘Goals’. Am I the only one that doesn’t get ‘Goals’? Sometimes you just want to chuck spare change in a jar and use a bit of it on a takeaway when you feel like it. Doesn’t have to have a goal. ‘Pots’ just make sense.
They don’t have the totally pointless feature called Pulse that’s thrust in your face when you open the app, showing you what you’ve spent today.
Receipt and notes for transactions.
Ability to remove active card checks from your feed to avoid clutter.
Notifications - they don’t include the name of the bank twice. Plus with Monzo, I noticed you can configure each type of notification individually with different sounds. Neat!
The app is gorgeous. It looks like a team of 50 engineers sat down for a week, with a million and one different designs, picked out the best one and agreed to stick to it when adding new features. it is so clean and easy on the eyes. Especially looking at the transactions/feed screen and individual transaction details. Icon tray at the bottom of the screen and it looks more in line with Android’s Material design thingymebob too, not just a copied IOS app. Plus the balance seems to be up front and centre, in all the screens you’d need it to be, including the payments screen.
Support is great with both, but Monzo give across the impression that they’re actually having fun doing their job helping people.

My brain says Starling maybe purely for the interest but I just can’t deal with their Android app. I’m trying but find it awful. It’s all about the app for me, whether I like it or not. It’s the thing that I’ll be using on a daily basis. Monzo gets that bit totally right and my heart says Monzo for that reason.

I doubt I’ll properly switch to either until someone introduces joint/connected/virtual accounts, or whatever they will end up being called though. Exciting times ahead hopefully, and better control over my money when it comes to joint bills and stuff.

8 Likes

Starling’s debit card packaging really winds me up. It’s a mix of card and plastic, which makes it very difficult to recycle. And they actually changed the design to incorporate the pointless plastic window, as my first debit card package did not have this feature.

Truly a bad decision. These touches make me think Starling didn’t think through the process beyond the customer receiving the card, and placed design over practicality.

2 Likes

Is it still the same packaging as Revolut?

Yep

(character limit)

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

I actually liked Loot’s packaging (and transparent card!) but I’ve not heard much from them in the way of progress or updates for a while.

1 Like

I actually kind of like it, very retro-futuristic, kept it since November for novelty reasons :smile:

IMG_0342

6 Likes

I telephone them I find that much better .very friendly on the phone they are.