Starling Discussion & Feedback

Next you’ll be getting s club juniors when starling start children’s accounts … :slight_smile:

(Bloody hell, singing s club songs now)

1 Like

Whereas with most other banks, it would be a lot less than 1p. £2 at 30%, which is about the most expensive overdraft rate you would find, works out at 0.17p per day.

Don’t think it’s even close to most

HSBC - 17.9%
Barclays - 75p, £1.50 or £3 per day depending on amount of overdraft and type of account
Lloyds & Halifax - 1p per £7 borrowed which works out at 66.6% APR
RBS & Natwest - 19.89%, some accounts have a lower rate of 14.89% but I think they have monthly fees
Santander - £1, £2, or £3 per day depending on amount of overdraft and type of account
TSB - 19.84% + £6 per month if your overdraft exceeds £35

1 Like

Barclays is not free up to £1000, where did you get that info? It’s 75p a day up to £1000

1 Like

Sorry, I was looking at the Premier account. Yes, for the normal account, it is 75p per day up to £1,000.

1 Like

Tie-up between Starling and RBS announced today. Interesting to see Starling broadening their revenue sources away from customers directly and towards monetising their infrastructure

2 Likes

Now that Monzo’s big list is finished, what are the main differences/pros between the two? I’ve started on a few I know of below but it’s by no means comprehensive so please help me out!

Edit: Decided to update this as people post to try and make it easy for anyone else wondering. I’m not adding any planned or future features.

Starling

• Fee free foreign ATM withdrawals
  • Better payee management
  • Interest
  • Incoming international payments
  • Cash deposit at NatWest branches
  • Business accounts

Monzo

• 3D Secure
  • IFTTT integration
  • Budgeting
  • More open communication for future plans (and community forum)
  • Freepost address for paying in cheques
5 Likes

Still waiting for incoming international payments on Monzo, so that’s a difference.

2 Likes

Cash can be deposited into a Starling account by paying into their account at Nat West.

monzo have a community forum to take feedback from their customers and sometimes put in place requested features to improve their service :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Starling has

Limited Company Accounts
Sole Trader Accounts

2 Likes

Was waiting for that to come up! TBH I’m not a big fan of “community” forums for most companies, they either end up filled with complaints and people asking the same stuff over and over again (like Bulb’s or the departed Starling forum) or heavily moderated and policed by the company. Sometimes they’re useful though - like trying to find the latest comparison between the main “challenger” banks and I’m definitely aware of the irony of asking this question here :grin:

Ideally I was looking for a recent comparison on a blog or elsewhere but there’s nothing recent out there on Google and this thread is instead one of the top hits.

1 Like

I think it’s really hard to break it down into features because they are changing all the time.

Starling have a more active marketplace, and seem to be focussing on different account types (business, Euro etc).

Monzo has a better personal current account right now (IMO), and I prefer the look/feel of the Monzo app (personal preference).

3 Likes

I like them ( forums ) , I think they can be a fabulous resource for people with answers to questions that aren’t immediately obvious to new users, they can be helped out by existing customers quickly with little effort , I like that people take the time to offer their views on new features and potentially help out the company in its decision making with that feedback :slight_smile: - I like that people can discuss financial decisions and more “experienced” people can offer valuable advice having taken similar choices before in their earlier years and learnt lessons from those choices.

5 Likes

I’ll agree with the “monzo have a community forum” part

1 Like

thank you :slight_smile:

Starling also has custom pots/goals images

1 Like

A feature comparing list is a nice idea. Here’s a few I can think of that you’ve missed:

Monzo

• Free to receive a replacement card abroad.

• Travel reports.

• Better bill splitting.

• Loads more people use Monzo, so the networking features (eg: Monzo-to-Monzo payments) are better.

• More proactive when it comes to data breaches (eg: Ticketmaster, BA).

• In-house payment processor platform.

Starling

• *unlimited free foreign ATM withdrawals.

• Fitbit, Samsung, Garmin pay.

• Marketplace.

• In-app provisioning for digital wallets.

• Virtual cards so can use your new virtual card while waiting for your new physical card to arrive.

• Extra card controls (not sure if this has arrived yet so someone will have to confirm).

• Custom images for pots.

• Better layout for pots.

• Pots for joint accounts (could be wrong about this one too).

3 Likes

Free stamped statements on Monzo, £20 per request on Starling

5 Likes