Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Speaking of advertising

3 Likes

Coinciding with the Starling European launch? Would make sense if the advertising will be seen across the continent.

2 Likes

Anyone else not realise they were the banking partner of team gb?

1 Like

The Women’s Euros are in just England next year - wouldn’t read too much into it. It’s just a good fit, they’ve run a lot of campaigns on women in finance, women in tech and similar since they were launched.

Googling, they’ve got a good page on it.

1 Like

I think these sorts of things are meaningless. It’s a small logo somewhere and a way for whichever event to make more money.

Colgate - The official toothpaste partner for Crufts.

Like what’s the point!

2 Likes

Considering I didn’t even realise Starling had anything to do with Team GB, I would definitely have said that was meaningless. I understand the bigger partners/sponsors, but things like this seem a bit pointless.

The point is to fund the competition & generate prize money etc.

Don’t know if you’ve ever tried to get sponsorship for women’s sport - it’s really hard even at levels where men are paid professionals, women often have to “pay to play”. I follow a local women’s team and you can sponsor a player for the same price as a premier league season ticket. And there’s no prize money or anything (consider this men’s League 2 level). It’s very, very unequal & not at all easy to get sponsorship for. Here’s the other sponsors - just Lego & Pandora. Just the three when the men’s tournament has dozens of them, like you say - some very obscure

Edit - seems UEFA actually have a bunch more sponsors. These are the First national ( ie. the FA’s) first sponsors. Elite Sports sponsorship is weird UEFA Official Sponsors and partners | UEFA.com

2 Likes

See I think that the fact that it’s a small logo and appears meaningless shows that Starling actually want to help fund it. That’s a good thing.

Women’s sport is terribly underfunded and I’d rather have a company sponsor than not.

It’s either “companies don’t care and only sponsor to get their logo blasted everywhere, evil Capitalism etc etc” or “what’s the point in companies sponsoring if we don’t even see their logo etc etc”. Seems a no-win situation for the bank.

9 Likes

But will be televised all over Europe, and Starling has a European launch imminent, so makes sense to me. As you said a week ago, it’s about brand awareness.

That’s not reading “too much” into it. That seems a fairly logical conclusion, to me.

1 Like

The actual bank, or their BaaS platform (which they’ve announced)?

2 Likes

BaaS. Nothing to consumers announced yet

1 Like

They sponsored Team GB but didn’t do a worldwide launch just because the Olympics are global!

3 Likes

More funding for the women is great!

I was meaning more along the lines of them boasting about being a “partner” for the event for something that has zero relevance.

So cynical :joy:

I see it as a way of showcasing the causes they feel strongly about. They seem to be focusing a lot on women/gender.

It’s no different to a company taking a focus on the environment or something.

3 Likes

Of course not don’t be ridiculous. No business thinks: “As we’re sponsoring a global event, shall we launch in every country on the planet?”

Starling’s European launch is already happening, so the sponsorship makes sense.

3 Likes

Their BaaS is happening. Nothing else announced.

The whole point of Brass is to hide Starling behind other Brands (eg. IIRC SumUp use them now but you’d never know unless you use a sort code checker), running a consumer Brand Awareness campaign for the launch of BaaS seems unlikely to me.

3 Likes

Hey Europe! This is the brand you won’t see!

1 Like

It’s a good deal if England go far, and it’s cheap compared to getting involved in mens football, they’ve decided to go into Sports Sponsorship with the BOA and a smaller deal with Archery GB, but you do really need to activate these deals and work them hard to get value from it, especially as a National Partner

1 Like

Lots of non–consumer–facing companies sponsor large events. Starling still needs to advertise its product to the people who will use its BaaS.

3 Likes

I noticed that Starling are the sponsor of the Sky Movies Premier channel today.

The cost for that must be huge. They get their “people floating in the bank” advert played at the beginning of every film. So every ~2 hours as people sit down to watch recently released films.