Starling Discussion: Part 2

Someone on here the other day was requesting account numbers on Pots to be able to pay in directly. That’s essentially just having two current accounts then, something every other bank has offered for years.

4 Likes

Not really – you can often pay directly into savings accounts. What makes something a current account is being able to make payments directly from it, set up direct debits on it, have a debit card, etc. So paying directly into pots would fit very much with the concept of them. (Whether it’s a worthwhile or much demanded feature is a different discussion!)

1 Like

The point was, with bills pots, virtual cards attached to pots, scheduled payments in and out, and then requesting being able to deposit directly into them – some people here want to evolve pots so much they essentially become second current accounts, whilst all the while maintaining that pots are somehow unique and the concept is unavailable at any other bank.

At what point do the functions of pots loop back round so far that Monzo evolve them into ‘normal’ accounts and they lose their uniqueness?

9 Likes

Just noticed this new blog:

2 Likes

This is a really good feature from Starling. I’ve always been uncomfortable with unauthenticated contactless - particularly since Apple Pay became available. The ability to hobble or reduce the limit on the card without impacting Apple Pay transactions would be welcome.

I have seriously considered attempting to damage the contactless interface on the card for this very reason - only put off by the risk it might be rejected in terminals or ATMs.

Actually, Starling does already, sort of, let you disable contactless even before the change coming tomorrow.

At the moment, in Card controls you can disable the physical card completely (for both chip and pin and contactless) but keep the mobile wallet and online payments. This is what I’ve done as I only use Apple Pay. I’ve only once been caught out - at a Tesco petrol station because I think Tesco still don’t support ‘proper’ Apple Pay to try and get everyone to use their silly Pay+ app instead. Spent £46 in petrol so contactless through Apple Pay didn’t work and I got the card out and forgotten I’d disabled it.

Tomorrows change, which means you can disable contactless but still let chip and pin work on the card, is an good update though.

1 Like
2 Likes

Live in app now for anyone who wishes to adjust the limit

4 Likes

Is the overall limit £200 for Starling too?

So I might not be able to do £100 x2, but instead do £20 x10 if I found someones card and wanted to be a scumbag?

2 Likes

Think they’re doing the full £300

2 Likes

That’s correct.

I’ve left mine at £100, however contactless on the card is always disabled. I just use GooglePay instead.

2 Likes

The other Starling card control disables all “card present” transactions, not just contactless. If you just want contactless disabled, but chip & pin\ATM to carry on working, then you can now set the contactless limit to £0 & leave “card present” enabled!

2 Likes

I’m sure in an email they mentioned it was 350

It’s £300. From their blog:

When you’ve spent a total of £300 through multiple contactless payments, we’ll ask you to enter your PIN. Previously, we asked you to enter your PIN after spending £225. This is a security measure to help prevent fraud.

1 Like

Finally, I gained access today too :grin:

I’ve noticed starling is advertising on Amazon now. Both the opening page and the checkout tells me I can get a free £50 for switched to them and an additional 50 if I refer a friend but I don’t plan on joining also since I saw a thread about buses starling also does this too as almost every bus here advertises them looks like they’re desperately pushing out

1 Like

They’ve been on Amazon for at least a month

2 Likes

Advertising isn’t an indication of being desperate.

Everyone does it. Think how many BT broadband adverts you see and regardless of this you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who isn’t aware they provide this service.

10 Likes

Fixed that for you

6 Likes

20 October

1 Like