Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Excellent breakdown! Thank you!

2 Likes

A lot of these loans will last a decade. Lots of time for Starling to grow its loan book in that period (while collecting Ā£60m a year in low risk revenue to expand etc.)

6 Likes

I think it goes back further, to their decision not to develop a business account and go for the funding that Starling got. I suspect they didnā€™t participate in the government backed lending schemes because the business account wasnā€™t developed enough at the time/didnā€™t have enough staff working on that aspect of the business.

10 Likes

Itā€™s almost a perfect case study of how diversifying can help protect you in a crisis. I think any exec could learn something from this one.

6 Likes

@TheoGibson thanks for the breakdown and hope you continue to do so as I find these interesting and good highlights.

10 Likes

Seeing this over in the Revolut thread made me wonder: does Starling still offer interest on positive balances?

Extract from the AltFi item

The fintech (Revolut) is offering 0.15 per cent interest on cash up to Ā£85,000, a hair higher than its closest competitors Monzo and Starling which offer rates of 0.10 per cent (on Monzoā€™s easy access pot) and 0.05 per cent (on Starlingā€™s current account) respectively.

2 Likes

I made 5p last month :grin:

4 Likes

Nobody can deny how incredible Starling have done. This is what happens when you have a solid plan you donā€™t deviate from and have an experienced CEO who knows what it takes to thrive in an extremely competitive and difficult industry.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 16 hours.

Interesting interpretation. My observation was:

Starling is doing well

Monzo staff who has expertise in the area of lending gives a breakdown with further insight into the numbers

A couple oversensitive Starling users on this forum that seem to have some sort of inferiority complex make unfounded accusations even though Monzo staff member made no criticism of Starling

The rest of us cry inside and understand why Monzo staff are hesitant to engage with forum

20 Likes

I have no idea what happened yesterday, but I donā€™t think starting another argument about what happened yesterday is the best thing to doā€¦

10 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 20 hours.

So I had a few days off to adventure around the UK and enjoy the sunshine. (Note to self not to do that again :eyes: )

Iā€™ve taken a look at the interactions here and Iā€™ve removed some of the off topic comments and ā€œbickeringā€ as it really soured the discussion.

Iā€™ll message back those who have contacted me on the back of whatā€™s happened over the past few days here but I would highlight calling out what you believe to be a breach of the Code of Conduct is done by the flagging feature or by reaching out to myself via DM. Making posts about it donā€™t really help the situation and remove focus from the OP/General theme of the Topic.

For clarity, itā€™s not Monzo vs Starling and on my journey in Monzo it never has been :man_shrugging:

27 Likes

https://www.ft.com/content/7f125086-1c30-40d0-84e4-a3ca23eb9f0a

Starlings first acquisition for a mortgage lender.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely surprised me. Iā€™m not sure whether Starling have a long term view here to offer mortgages or just reap the benefits of being the sole lender for these mortgages now but itā€™s definitely an interesting move.

I thought they may have acquired a credit card lender or something to set them off in that direction.

Interesting starting angle too, considering the passion people have against buy to let.

1 Like

For those who donā€™t wish to give the FT their click, Starling have acquired Fleet Mortgages for Ā£50M.

5 Likes