Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

The clue is in the text… :wink:

On customers

• Starling customers have been relatively unaffected by the lockdown: “Our demographic is less likely to have been impacted by the lockdown [than other fintechs].

than other fintechs

1 Like

So is the demographic data for the other fintechs actually published for open view then, or assumed?

I am with Monzo and Starling. I am the same age and have the same income coming in on both accounts. I am therefore obviously not slightly older or more affluent than myself.

I am sure there are thousands of others holding both accounts.

1 Like

Im also as affluent in Monzo … …I have £3 in Starling, although I am a long term customer with them, but hold a bit more in Monzo

1 Like

Maybe it’s just as simple as some very basic maths?

As they have less customers, maybe those customers are more new-tech and have more money? And when that 2m gets closer to 5m, those extra paupers will bring the average balance per account down?

I’ll be bringing it down. I moved all my savings out of Starling into an Investment ISA with Trading 212 at the end of last year.

My balance in Starling sits at a health £0

*shudders*

3 Likes

My instinct is that it’s pretty simple: Monzo has all the hype and the brand, but most accounts are second/spending/holiday money accounts.

Starting is (in my opinion) a bit more boring (in terms of functionality and brand) but is seen more as a substitute for a high street bank. So more salaries paid in etc.

14 Likes

The arty-farty TV ads have probably helped capture more of the fuddy-duddy market.

(This is comment is humour poking fun at Starling’s own image. No offence intended towards any customers)

4 Likes

Still not noticed any flying sheds around the Midlands :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Who are you calling arty farty :wink:

2 Likes

New address for posting those ancient slips of paper

1 Like

Bit of an odd address, it should have Starling in it somewhere at least…

The app still has the previous address.

If they have the whole floor then it’s not really needed to be fair.

Also the app does hold the new address and it does include Startling as the 1st line of the address

If you wish to send your cheque by recorded or tracked delivery, please send to Starling Bank Operations Team, Brunel House, 2 Fitzalan Road, 5th Floor, Cardiff, CF24 0EB, Wales

2 Likes

Looks like Starling have forced users onto the new UI on Android. I’m not a fan.

1 Like

They have. Previously it was A/B tested.

I’m not a fan either, but it’s not my main account, so I will survive.

3 Likes

Was it? I had it as an option which I turned on them promptly off again. :pensive:

Isn’t it traditional to dislike UI change? I seem to remember the yearly Facebook stories…

It makes sense, from a customer service point of view, to have a unified interface.

3 Likes

Oh totally. I’m just playing the performative role of not liking change.

(The Android green button and light bottom bar are what mess it up for me).

3 Likes
1 Like