Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

In the Card tab, under Card and Currency Controls, there’s a setting called EUR Card Spending. If you toggle that on, EUR transactions will be charged to your EUR account.

3 Likes

Yes, Wise are the same, they automatically use any balance to make sure the transaction goes through. I find that much more ‘expected’.

1 Like

I guess I should have poked around a bit more, thank you

2 Likes

Also longing for Monzo JA but my partner was refused her account being reopened so didn’t even get to try and apply for a JA.

2 Likes

It’s horses for courses though. If I had money set aside for bills in another account or Pot, and then attempted a card transaction in my main account which the balance couldn’t cover, I’d be annoyed if the bank simply grabbed money from the Bills Pot in order to just cover the cost.

Both approaches are “expected” to different types of people, depending on how one runs one’s finances and budgeting. The key here is understanding how the individual bank works, and going somewhere else if there’s a better option for you. It’s good that banks do these things in different ways.

9 Likes

NatWest or nationwide doesn’t

1 Like

I use both starling and Monzo and they both have their own frustrations. There are definitely aspects that are easier in Monzo but I find some of the clarity around transactions better in Starting, the layout, the fonts used.

Spaces in Starling are still not on par with Monzo, they have improved though.

Both are still streets ahead of legacy banks though.

6 Likes

can now pay cheques upto £1k via the app in starling

6 Likes

Same shop in Lithuania was shown as it is located in Italy months ago :confused:

Now it shows as located in Russia :sweat_smile:

Issue report tool limited to Google maps only, which is not working properly as London also was not found :joy:

3 Likes

Today I had one of those ‘Good/Bad’ experiences with Starling CS today.

Tried to pay some cash into my account at the Post Office and it wouldn’t work - twice just said ‘Declined’.

Started a live chat with Starling CS to ask them about it and got put through to someone literally in about 10 seconds (I was still walking out of the Post Office).

So, that was the good experience with Starling (and based on other comments about other banks - I think some of their competitors are having hours to wait for someone to respond).

Now, the bad experience. After going through some basic stuff the answer from them was ‘Erm - we don’t know why it didn’t work’. Eventually I mentioned if ‘card present’ needs to be enabled on card controls (which, thinking back is logical) and they then did say that was needed (I’d switched it off a while ago) so I switched it back on (I’ve set contactless to £0 now anyway) and it worked fine.

I would’ve thought that would’ve been a fairly standard thing to check with that sort of issue. Its one of those occasions when actually a scripted response would picked that up (if the agent at the other end doesn’t have access to check what card controls I’d set on my account which would be something else I’d kinda expect them to have)

1 Like

Did it not show you in the declined transaction screen why it wouldn’t work?

2 Likes

I had an odd issue withdrawing money from an ATM with Starling, I had to enable ‘magstripe’ for it to work

1 Like

Are you sure it wasn’t a magstripe ATM?

2 Likes

No, it was Magstripe payments, may have been something different at the time

1 Like

I don’t mind the colour, actually quite like it as it has grown on me.

That new font though… :woozy_face:

1 Like

Nope - on the post office terminal it just said ‘Declined’ and on the Starling App it didn’t even acknowledge that I’ve tried to make a deposit.

My point about this though isn’t that this happened - the card and Starling account was working exactly as intended - it was just me being silly and not putting 2+2 together to make 4. The point is that I would’ve thought something like this would have been pretty easily scripted for their CS staff:
Cust: I tried to make a deposit, it was declined,
C/S: Ok have you turned off card present transaction?
Cust: Yes
C/S: That’s the problem - you need that enabled to make a deposit. If you’re concerned about mis-use of contactless, you can instead set your contactless limit to zero is the ‘Card Limit’ section.

That, to me, would’ve been a pretty perfect customer service response - quickly identified the issue and what to do to fix it and also gave another suggestion on how to protect yourself if you’re worried about contactless fraud.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I get the tweet, or even your post :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t think anyone owned the “Aldi middle isle” joke.

2 Likes

Or the Lidl Middle Aisle

2 Likes

Your point, whatever it was, didn’t make any sense without any context to that screenshot.

1 Like