Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

I agree with everything here… The app is pretty boring, main landing page is useless and I never look at it.

I have recently fully switched to Monzo apart from 2 direct debits I’ve kept in Starling, so at least I don’t have to use the app anymore.

I think Starling’s app is great. It has all of the features you’d need - but I don’t think Anne’s personality is something anyone should be awarding?

5 Likes

Ah more non awards from some random publisher :face_with_monocle:

I’ve never met her, so couldn’t comment on her personality as such. But these polls (like Sports Personality of the Year) are all about popularityin my view.

Now, I don’t bother voting in these because they are utterly pointless (I don’t know if Monzo is better than Barclays, for example, I haven’t banked with Barclays for decades). But if the voting is by members of the public, from a list, I can think of three possible reasons she might come top:

1. Starling is a popular bank.

2. If the list is alphabetical, she’d be near the top.

3. Although I am active on this forum, there is only one person who would come to mind were I to be asked to name the head of a retail bank (worldwide). Boden.

The only reason these polls exist is to advertise the banks and the publication hosting.

6 Likes

But Starling wouldn’t be :man_shrugging:

Just saying :rofl:

She comes across really nice when I met her at at the starling office when I was a former guru. She listens to what you have to say.

11 Likes

Such as?

I suspect folks are reading too much into the traditional definition of personality here. I suspect it’s just used to reference someone with a large social following. I’ve seen large content creators on YouTube be referenced as an Internet Personality when they’ve appeared in the news or gone on a reality tv show.

4 Likes

Open banking
Accounts list instead of tapping the drop down
The merchant data is a mess
A credit card wouldn’t go a miss - there was talks about this I believe some time ago but no release

3 Likes

By ‘personality’ I think more about what campaign they’re personally also leading and what they’re doing about that.

Starling, and Anne specifically, have made a very big statement on gender inequality with their #makemoneyequal campaign within banking - not just in the CEO’s at the top, but also on things like advertising with the stereotype in adverts of men worrying over ‘big things’ and women buying shoes. Starling ads specifically have always had a focus on more minorities and women being business owners and dealing with money matters - the first ad in their current campaign started with a women literally breaking through the glass ceiling to escape her ‘traditional’ bank.

Alongside that, Starling have also done extra things like setting up a free image library for anyone to use that have generic ‘banking related images’

We’ve worked with researchers at Brunel University who have analysed over 600 photographs used for articles about money and finance, We found that men and women were depicted very differently. Men were shown as being in control and making financial decisions, whilst women were shown clutching piggy banks and counting pennies.

3 Likes

Source?

1 Like

There’s a difference between “actively in testing” and promised. At no point is anything promised in that linked article

On the topic of Starling’s long-awaited credit card, Boden told AltFi that the bank is now actively in-testing with an SME credit card, but declined to comment on when it would launch

9 Likes

Think you might need to manage your own expectations a little better, and stop inventing mythical deadlines to be disappointed at.

4 Likes

Dunno, it did make me feel at some point in the past that starling was working on a personal credit card. Instead of launching that they launched connected and children cards instead. Both with small monthly fees.

Overall maybe it is for the best. Since a straightforward debit cards with spending controls are easy to implement and support on ongoing basis. And at the same time generate revenue stream.

Credit card products are more difficult to design, implement, and service. With a very different risk & revenue profile. I.e. see how Tandem credit card failed.

1 Like

Which is why an agile fintech ‘could’ own the space. It seems like it’s just too hard

Both the Connected card and Kite card were launched before this article mentioning a credit card, though?

My memory is from this March 2019 article, from before pandemic.

And instead of that, under pandemic circumstances they launched connected card.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sounds like a good fit. Starling has been very prominent in this area.

1 Like

If anything, it’s another book once it’s all over :joy:

2 Likes