Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

I kind of like it but the home now looks weird.

It’s a bit jarring with the contrast, plus the circle is offset as it doesn’t take the menu into consideration.

Also if you hit the plus icon to add payment it reverts back to the old menu.

2 Likes

Has anyone got some before and after screenshots?

Yeah it was due to open this morning, so I waited. 10 mins, 4 mins, 3 mins, then 4 hours, so gave up lol

Before:

After

3 Likes

The before was basically, no bottom bar, and burger icon top left, on android.

It’s not my main account, Monzo is, so not fully explored it yet.

Edit: as post above :point_up::joy:

Seems like a sensible change to me

4 Likes

This is how it always looked on iOS.

Not quite. iOS had the horrid burger menu too, in conjunction with the bottom bar. They’ve ditched that now, which is a huge UX improvement on iOS IMO.

1 Like

GDPR already exists. It’s an extremely powerful and consumer-focussed set of regulations.

2 Likes

The GDPR is also the reason why people in this forum claiming they’re afraid they’ll be automatically signed up to marketing emails they don’t want are incorrect, because the regulations are very clear around contacting individuals for unsolicited marketing.

You’d think, but I had to complain to a retailer last night because I made an online order and there was a little box with the words “Please check this box if you do not want to receive marketing emails.” :angry:

5 Likes

The phrasing is getting ever more confusing! A few years down the line we’ll have tick boxes like

:ballot_box_with_check: Please untick this box if you don’t not want to opt out of not receiving marketing emails.

The regulations also don’t stop certain retailers from hiding the disclaimer in the finest of fine print or just simply not allowing you to proceed without opting in. If a business wants your details to sell your stuff, they will

7 Likes

It’s the ePrivacy directive that governs direct marketing, and there is a soft opt-in for marketing where you are purchasing goods or services. In other words, that’s the only time you have to opt out rather than opt in. It’s a pre GDPR thing though, and the ePrivacy regulation which is set to replace the directive should harmonise issues like the one you describe. It’s also the ePrivacy directive you can blame for all the cookie consent pop ups on websites, less so the GDPR (although there is a link of course). Just FYI.

1 Like

I was under the impression the the opt out was for emails that you’d potentially be interested in based on the purchase so (extended) warranty information for example not pure marketing.

Edit ,

3 Likes

I’ve just ordered something from Amazon. Full details of what I ordered are in the email.

They’re normally in the order email, but not in the dispatch email. I don’t know why that would make a difference :man_shrugging:t2:

Mine doesn’t have any details in the confirmation or the despatch. Amazon clearly like to confuse me!

1 Like

Was your order from a single seller or Amazon itself? I think it’s mixed orders that show nothing

I have an order of 6 items from last week where one of the items was not dispatched by Amazon and they all appear in my email with full text and pictures.

2 Likes

Ha! I never get that :man_shrugging:

1 Like