Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

They still seem to be a little torn between trying to act like they think Monzo do and proclaiming to be the new Lloyds or Barclays at the same time

Fascinating to watch

2 Likes

It is funny.

Probably wouldn’t be a shocker if they wound down personal accounts and focused on business and their BTL mortgage acquisition, which again, falls under business remit.

It does feel that most of their branding is going for the more professional and serious look (like Lloyds) but then those cards don’t reflect that at all. I’m a tiny bit confused what their overall direction is to be honest.

1 Like

Every time I see it, it just makes me feel like someone has used their phones markup feature to just write the text Starling Bank in large on top of the card. It doesn’t even look like a logo.

I really much preferred the previous upright design.

1 Like

Starling started off with a decent card and then seem to become progressively worse with every new update.

Why do so many people on here care what their bank cards look like? Eg. HSBC card has been grey, but changed slightly many times over the years since my first Midland Bank card from them, no one ever made a fuss over the design. These days I pay most things by Google pay, so don’t even see the physical cards - who really cares what the font is? If I owned a bank, I don’t think I’d want the type of customer who’s attracted by the design on my card or if it’s metal or whatever. It screams if juvenile insecurity & wanting to show off to your mates - not an adult who’s a likely candidate for a long term customer for serious banking services.

4 Likes

Cards are part of your branding, so ignoring them is just not an option. Putting together something slapdash will affect how you’re seen by customers

4 Likes

Caring/liking/interested in good design is not juvenile in the slightest.

6 Likes

It seems more juvenile to me to judge other people for talking about something you personally don’t care about.

If you don’t care about bank cards, simply ignore the discussions. It’s not tricky.

9 Likes

I do have a sneaky feeling that the new cards are not for you, as a customer, it’s actually for the ‘benefit’ of the person stood behind you in the queue at the shop as you tap your card.

It’s easier for someone stood socially distance away behind you to see who bank you’re with - so it benefits Starling not because they then expect that person behind you to quiz you about your bank, but it’s just another trickle of water into the consciousness of the general population that Starling is a bank that people use and maybe you should look into it.

6 Likes

And this is how Monzo got their mostly free marketing as people were shook by the hot coral card alongside word of mouth.

Then also the stories painted all over the news.

Yep - sometimes it works (Monzo) other times, not so much - with ‘Bo’ and their bright yellow cards that they even gave to ‘social media influencers’ to try and get interest in it…

Definitely agree with that to be honest. It’s easy adverting for them

I consider myself quite observant with bank cards, funnily enough for someone that uses a banking forum daily, but I don’t ever remember seeing a Starling card in the wild. It’s bright enough to stand out so I don’t think it’s that one is camouflaged or anything.

1 Like

I see more Monzo than Starling for sure, and generally the hot coral over any other.

Possibly seen more old style Starling cards in the past than the new colour, maybe it put people off.

I’ve seen a few but almost everyone I see uses their phone so I wouldn’t see really.

5 Likes

I’d argue this is a far more important development than cards - Martin is regularly voted as one of the most trusted voices in the country across the political spectrum, card design is limit to a tiny niche.

Confirmed by the Starling Twitter account with a link to their blog just below.

4 Likes

I was casually reading this on their website earlier, makes sense, and hopefully some strong action follows:

People fall for things so easily online.

1 Like

Their website doesn’t have their new card design on it :eyes:

1 Like

It is possible to discuss multiple things.

This story was already posted further up.

2 Likes