Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Frm memory, they’ve said consistenly that bills from goals/spaces isn’t something they were going to do. But, they did say that they were working on something ‘better’. I think I assumed that charging for a second account was the ‘better’ solution :man_shrugging:

Interesting to see what they come out with, though. Maybe it’ll tie in with the :soon: Starling Credit Card :soon: and be a credit card pot style thing?

3 Likes

Although I have no problem with paying £2 to Starling per month, if that’s what it takes for profitability, and no real problem in having a second account instead of a Bills Pot, unfortunately Starling’s implantation means it’s unusable for me. I’ll explain why…

There is no separate card issued on the secondary account, and all my Direct Debits are already set up on my original account. I can’t swap the DDs to the new account, because that would be a right old faff for not much gain, but I can’t use the second account for spending because I’d have to toggle the card over, and then my continuous payment authorities (bills like Netflix and Spotify) aren’t coming from my bills account.

Whilst it’s a technically neat invention, it doesn’t completely separate my committed spend from my elective spend.

So would love a more Monzo-esque Bills Space please, and a rolling month from my payday would be fantastic.

And a clever, integrated, offset ‘one-line-of-credit’ across the overdraft, credit card and loan would be awesome. Kthnxbye

3 Likes

Could they do this with just one hard credit file check? If it needed a new check every time you want to use a different credit type, I don’t see the benefit.

I don’t see why not. A hard check is really to show everyone else you’ve been checked by a certain company. So Starling could offer a £10,000 line of credit and portion that up over the three facilities how they like, using their existing overdraft slider in that case.

3 Likes

It would be great but it wouldn’t really be such a great deal. Their overdrafts are priced okay, but that same rate for loans would be a rubbish deal.

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Intelligent Finance

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: Collected thoughts on card design

I’ve annoyed myself. I joined Starling just for cheque processing, as had several bad experiences (long processing times etc) with monzo. App scanning has been great. But I had a cheque that was over the apps £500 limit, so I decided to post it to Starling rather than Monzo. here I am, 12 days later, stressed & annoyed at not receiving a notification its arrived! so, starling no better than monzo for postal cheque processing is the conclusion.

3 Likes

Ouch and Starling don’t even have a forum anymore as they shut it down for no reason

Not that a forum would help with an account specific query

13 Likes

Yes, and in fact that was one of the specifically mentioned reasons so clearly not

:rofl:

1 Like

I have moved out almost 40 comments that were all happy and pleasant, but wildly off topic

Let’s keep this one single thread about everyone’s other favourite fintech establishment solely on that topic :smiley:

I’ve deposited a few cheques with Starling and generally within a few days it’s come up in app and a scan of it.

May just be a pandemic related issue. Royal Mail aren’t doing a very good job atm.

2 Likes

The issues with Royal Mail are extremely localised. They have been as good as they always are me.

1 Like

Swipe up for transactions is back on Android :pray:t2::hushed:

2 Likes

Yay. That’s a lot better imo.

Even intuitive with the scrolling information that includes “Swipe up for transactions”.

No guesswork involved.

1 Like

Thank goodness!

(Although the white is really bothering me, it’s a step in the right direction)

2 Likes

A bit of Starling history. The decision to end the user forum. As one of the former Starling “Gurus” (not my choice :flushed:), it’s a fascinating reminder of why forums such as this didn’t work for Anne and the team…

7 Likes

I’m actually really surprised how on the ball Starling are with adding support for different app stores and platforms compared to Monzo. Starling seem to actually try and be present for and serve as many customers as possible whereas Monzo are stuck in this hole where you either adapt to their way of being on just one phone or you leave…

Not just Huawei app gallery but also adding all the pays people ask for, having web and iPad apps, allowing multiple logins, etc

10 Likes

Starling have always been like that. I’ve had an account with them for a few years already.

1 Like