Starling Discussion & Feedback

So I closed my Starling account last year but I wanted to give them another go. I tried to open an account again. It was rejected. Do you think they could reinstate my old account or is that a no go?

You have to wait a year, and I believe it might reset if you try to apply within the year.

Ah ok! Thank you for the info!

You were spot on @j06 - Just had this email!

3 Likes
8 Likes

I was watching the OH on Candy Crush. Recently all the ads have been Starling pushing quick loans. Pre approved up to Ā£500 etc.

She asked me if it was because I just setup Monzo on her phone (doubt it).

Shame thatā€™s being seen on a PG game on Android.

1 Like

I get loads of Starling ads on Duolingo. They all seem to be advertising ā€œeasy to use overdraftsā€.

1 Like

Starling just launched 3DS

1 Like

Doesnā€™t seem like the best implementation (SMS one time use code as the only option) after waiting quite a while for the feature.

SMS codes only, eh? Well, at least theyā€™re working on ā€œbiometric authenticationā€ for later this year.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve said this elsewhere, but I actually prefer Monzoā€™s SMS implementation, compared with their in app verification.

For starters, the in app verification causes issues with certain merchants (generally the credit card payments like Amex and Tesco).

Secondly, with the autofill functionality on iOS, the SMS is much much quicker, and requires zero input (other than a tap).

Maybe Iā€™m just a bit nostalgic for the good old short message serviceā€¦ But for me, itā€™s the best!

3 Likes

^ This

^ this x100, much much preferred for me

3 Likes

I can totally see where you are coming from.
As far as Iā€™m concerned, for someone doing most card payments on a Desktop/Laptop, the push-based approval method is really convenient.

4 Likes

Are you on Mac? SMS autofill now works on desktop too, if you are running an updated macOS system and use Text Message Forwarding from your iPhone. Itā€™s really very convenient.

Why is 3D secure still a thing anyway? It always felt quite arbitrary to me when itā€™s required and when itā€™s not. I also never felt more ā€˜secureā€™ for it, just annoyed.

1 Like

Donā€™t know how Mozonā€™s non-SMS system works, but why is there any need to fill something out on the sellerā€™s website?

Surely it ought to be implemented as ā€œplease wait while we check with your bankā€¦ā€, you get a notification on your phone, you press ā€œallowā€, and the website receives the go-ahead automatically.

I hope thatā€™s what Starling end up doing with the ā€œbiometricā€ option.

(I hate SMS auth, because I donā€™t have cell reception at work, but do have internet access.)

2 Likes

The issue with doing that on some services (like paying off your Amex bill in the app), is that as soon as you leave the app, it disconnects the transaction.

So by the time youā€™ve ā€œauthorisedā€ the 3DS element in your Monzo app, Amex have cancelled the transaction - This is why Monzo force the SMS option on some services.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on Android, so that doesnā€™t work for me unfortunately.

It also means that if youā€™re travelling and using a different SIM, you canā€™t make purchases requiring 3DS. :disappointed: (I get why there are use cases where people prefer SMS, but having it as the only option is limiting.)

5 Likes

Canā€™t see that they do, but do Starling have referral codes? Going to sign up as a back up for when abroad

You can use mine:

2FTJWXGX https://www.starlingbank.com/referral/?token=2FTJWXGX

1 Like