Starling Discussion & Feedback

What is Starling doing wrong? You say it like they keep launching products that don’t work. Monzo launched with free foreign withdrawals and realised it got that wrong and had to backtrack. Whay exactly is Monzo getting right that Starling isn’t?

7 Likes

Without going down the rabbit hole that is Monzo and Starling - By their own definition, Monzo do the complete opposite of what you’ve stated.

Their MVP approach (minimum viable product) is designed to get the bare minimum out to satisfy those early adopters of things (and maybe others who don’t care too much).

Customer numbers quite frankly have nothing to do with features - Should Starling and Monzo shut up shop until they reach 15 million customers?

It’s great the Euro accounts are (finally) coming to Starling! I for one look forward to trying it out.

Although the exchange rate is still slightly behind Revolut, but not massively.

11 Likes

Whose rate are they using and how do we find it? Or are they using the in app transfer thing through the local partner to send money between GBP/EUR accounts

How many real/active/salaried accounts they have?
Monzo opened more than million accounts and what? How many salaried accounts Monzo have 250000?
I think this is a huge step forward for Starling and for their customers…

4 Likes

Well done to Starling

I moved my account over to Monzo at the time of the great community meltdown, but kept it open and kept a close watch

I have been on the waitlist for this new account type and will certainly give thought to getting it dependent on the actual details

1 Like

Obviously come to iOS first. Android updated last week with hints of a big feature to come soon. Dur dur durrr

1 Like

A big step! Well done to the Starling team, I’m sure a lot of people must have been working hard on this for a while.

13 Likes

I think it’s around 30% salaried accounts, so more like 420,000.

https://twitter.com/t_blom/status/1074728958371991552

6 Likes

Thanks for information! I use Monzo account as my main account… so all my income with Monzo.
I have Starling account as well.
Both Monzo and Starling have their own +/-

4 Likes

Really looking forward to euro accounts. One paragraph in the press release particularly caught my eye, though:

Euro Account holders will initially be able to hold, send and receive payments in euros. Later this year, Starling personal account debit cards will be enabled to work with the Euro Account.

That sounds to me like there won’t be multiple cards, but there will be one debit card that works for the euro and sterling accounts. I wonder if you’ll need to switch it in app (like Curve) or if it’s more intelligent somehow?

10 Likes

Its a differentiating feature that will have its market…

I’ve seen some people on this forum who have mentioned getting their salary in euros so this is good for them.

I’ve also seen people here mention they’d love to be able to take their holiday spending from a pot. This account will work for those people if they’re holidaying in Europe.

Great progress and I look forward to seeing how they build on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those using starling have they had any more issues with transactions going through? I remember in the early days Monzo and Starling having issues due to their payments processor (?) and Monzo moving in house and Starling sticking with then outsourced firm.

Just curious

I’ve been with Starling for about 8 months now. Never had a problem with any payments (including when on travels).

6 Likes

I can echo what @Ardvarky said. Been with Starling about 15 months and never had a payment issue, apart from a couple of reversals caused by a problem at the merchant’s end.

4 Likes

No problems for me either, I also have my salary paid into Starling without any issues.

3 Likes

GPS were/are the payment processor, but like the others have said, there doesn’t seem to have been any issues with them of late.

I think the last issue was one that unfortunately I was caught up in (around March/April last year).

1 Like

There is certainly “Starling Valley’ in Northwestern Hertfordshire!!

1 Like

Just opened a Euro account and it was very seamless.

The switching between accounts is also very well implemented - Something I’d love to see for Monzo with their personal and joint accounts.

6 Likes

How did you do it? Did they send you an email or was the option just in the app?

1 Like

They sent through an email initially which contained a link to open the app.

From there it was a piece of cake.

The rate is also the exact same as Revolut, so I now have zero need for them (thank god).

I need to send a Euro payment this week, so the timing is perfect!

6 Likes