Starling Discussion & Feedback

Exactly. I guess this was my, rather poor, attempt of questioning why this was relevant to the thread.

I think it’s a flawed assumption to assume that Starling have essentially selected “Show me on Monzo pages” - as we can see from all the example here - the ad matching is far less static than that and the Monzo/Starling match was probably coincidence

All we know is that Starling pay for ads and Monzo don’t (because Monzo have told us and no-one has ever seen a Monzo ad)

5 Likes

I’d have thought it is keyword based and starling will have selected a few keywords which they want to be shown against.

3 Likes

@alexs Can you move the posts if you agree it’s not relevent please :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I’m assuming that’s an OK thing to do. Don’t quite see why Monzo advertising wouldn’t be appropriate (unless I’m misreading @alexs’ post).

4 Likes

Yeah that’s fine but I feel like word of mouth would be the best approach for challenger banks. In their ad I also see none of the key selling points of a challenger account, mainly the lack of bullshit fees, good customer service and new technical stack. Their ad looks like just any other legacy bank - nothing tells them apart. They’re bragging about being the best current account according to some award but given that even NatWest won the best mobile app award I don’t think anyone really cares about such awards.

1 Like

Same here - don’t see any issues

I am using Starling with my money at mo as cannot access TSB but I am deciding weather to switch to Monzo or Starling at the moment.

A couple questions that may help you decide

• How important to you is ApplePay support right now? Are you willing to wait for it?
  • Do you want to withdraw more than ÂŁ200 worth of foreign cash a month?
  • How important is the openness and honesty of your bank to you?
3 Likes

Who should someone choose based on this?

2 Likes

I believe those ads are more nuanced than just keywords. E.g. you place an ad against baking related queries. But I might be wrong

My opinion on this is Monzo. It’s the main selling point for me of Monzo over Starling right now

4 Likes

I would say Monzo just because they have the decency not to tamper with their status page.

5 Likes

When was the last time that happened? They removed the history of past/closed incidents around sept/October last year and hasn’t been done since.

Edit: agree they shouldn’t have removed prior incidents!

2 Likes

I personally think Monzo is better in every way over Starling. The UX, design, ethos, etc.

Saying that i’m currently using Starling more as they support Apple Pay…

5 Likes

Or you can keep both like me and have the best of both worlds!

4 Likes

While I don’t use either as a main bank. Been using Starling for a while as a secondary account but debating reopening Monzo account. After looking at these forums again I really like the Starling openness and transparency so refreshing.

Do you mean Monzo’s transparency and openness, or Starling’s? :thinking:

2 Likes

Oops. You’re right. I meant Monzo’s transparency. Starling give the impression of more “closed off” in terms of development. They do give hints of things to come but nothing like Monzo.

6 Likes

Are there any good comparison guide between Monzo and Sterling with overseas fees? thanks