Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Let’s be honest. They’ve been killing it right now for the past two years almost non-stop.

It’s crazy how they just keep going. I hope they can sustain it long term to some degree. It’s what the concept of fintech promised, and that idea of near constant innovation and iteration is exactly what got me excited about this niche segment of the finance industry in the first place.

I just don’t want them to get carried away like Revolut do, where the core experience gets revised almost every couple of months which interferes with muscle memory. A design refresh every now and again couldn’t hurt though. I hate the app, but from what I’ve seen of the web interface, it’s much more pleasant.

10 Likes

Very cool tbf.

I really wish I could get on board with the starling app but it just doesn’t seem to work for me.

7 Likes

Happy Birthday! :partying_face::cake::tada:

3 Likes

I am all for tree planting so win-win in my book.

1 Like

already being discussed here :point_up_2:

And there is no evidence it will be an actual branch. More likely a clever marketing ploy to hype up a new product

had me in the first half, not gonna lie

10 Likes

Post-pandemic I can see branches making sense for some fintechs. There are still certain things best done in person such as ID verification/account recovery or opening accounts for people without a form of ID that’s verifiable online.

With a branch network they can require someone to visit them if they can’t verify their identity remotely, further cutting down on fraud.

Furthermore these branches don’t need to be anything like typical legacy bank branches - it can be an Argos-style shop with self-service terminals and only staffed with a skeleton crew, somewhat cutting down on staff expenses.

1 Like

I like the new web interface

The needing your phone to do logins and authorise transactions is a bit clunky though, but I understand why they’ve done it that way.

2 Likes

Except Starling isn’t opening branches.

I must of misread the other comments there then :joy:

They are planting trees mate :rofl:

3 Likes

Fumin :triumph:, leaving this community now :joy:. Too embarrased to stay :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

2 Likes

Opened a Starling account today. So far, rather impressed by their offering. The web portal is nice, as is the app. Interest on balances, IBAN numbers, cheque imaging, Post Office cash handling…things that are chargeable extras or just not available on Monzo.

Now I’m a little torn, truth be told. :confused:

11 Likes

Try paying your bills from a Space :smile:

1 Like

Yes, the lack of a bills pot is unfortunate. Everything else seems pretty good though.

Oh, no widget in Notification Centre either.

…or budgeting features, unless I’m just not seeing them.

2 Likes

Totally get that, my ideal bank would basically be a mix and match of Starling and Monzo. For me Monzo just clinches it at the moment.
If we get linking virtual cards to pots the margin increases.

1 Like

No budgeting, just categories and you may also notice the three different ways Starling displays monthly spending…

Personally, I prefer an aggregator for budgeting, as it gives you much, much more across different providers than any one bank does so far

Plus, there’s much less friction if you decide to switch in future (assuming your new bank is supported by your aggregator, which is increasingly likely now)

3 Likes

Honestly, Paying bills from a pot is like the best feature i have ever used with a bank, back in the olden days (pre Monzo) i used to have an instant access savings account for literally each of my bills because i was really bad at budgeting.

Monzo has completely changed my perception of money, i have never missed a direct debit, never overspent, i now save more and invest more. Its just overall brilliant.

What tips me off Monzo is really small silly things like Payee Management, the Money Transfer tab could be cooler and look snazzier. Dark Mode (i know its been mentioned soo much)

10 Likes

Ha! This is so true, every time I think I’ve wrapped my brain around it I get confused again.

At least the web page rings seem to be consistent with the Categories/Merchants screens in the app, which I’ve come to make sense of, so I hope the home screen pulse thing, which in my opinion remains the messiest thing of the app, gets updated/revamped soon.

Speaking of the web portal, I’m positively surprised by how complete and functional it is. For some reason I was expecting a read-only sort of web page. This is not a diss, but I guess my low expectations came from the experience with web.monzo.com.

4 Likes