Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Who, TSB?

I think itā€™s pretty clear Co-Op is the undisputed champion of the banks.

7 Likes

If only they had a Community forum they could have advertised it there and put it up with their Co-op offers of the week page :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve given mine to RBS this year. Mostly because itā€™s the only that hasnā€™t let me down at all in 2022.

The fintechs are slacking and it starting to show some ugly cracks in their armour.

3 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by this, give some examples?

Not trying to argue or anything. Just interested.

1 Like

Referring primarily to Monzo and Chase. The apps havenā€™t been reliable at all in the past year. And if an app only bank has an unreliable app, youā€™re effectively SOOL.

I generally am finding that whilst the fintechs have, by far, the most technically progressive app based experience, it seems to come at the cost of rock solid reliability, and that, Iā€™m finding, is particularly problematic when itā€™s your only interface for customer interaction.

The RBS app has had no such problems for me. And if it did have, thereā€™s the website, the phone, and the branch network to fall back on.

Itā€™s not an edge case Iā€™ve ever found myself in before, but between Monzoā€™s crashing bug and Chaseā€™s service woes, Iā€™d almost found myself completely isolated from my finances with no contingency. Donā€™t want to be in that situation again. Iā€™m waiting til April before I make any big decisions, but Iā€™m thinking my main bank will move to one of the big guys. Monzoā€™s role will reduce to a spending card, just like it used to be when fintech life was good. Unless something drastic changes permanently, I think thatā€™s all these app only banks will ever be good for. A spending card. The full bank task is a bit too much to expect them to fulfil. Started to feel like a too good to be true ambition.

Monzo doubles as a really nice budgeting tool as well, and with plus through open banking, I donā€™t really lose anything by ditching them as my bank.

No decisions made as yet, but thatā€™s where Iā€™m leaning right now.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Used the acronym to avoid swearing!

:poop: out of luck

1 Like

I take all these awards (why is there so many ā€œbest bankā€ awards?) with a punch of salt. Plus so much of it marketing spend to get votes.

McN26 has had issues with the Monzo app so I donā€™t expect them to give a good rating. Everyone (bar one) knows the Chase problems.

But otherwise I think itā€™s such a low bar. Most people wonā€™t have had any sort of problem with a bank, they put money in, take it out and repeat. All fine and normal. Easy.

10 Likes

Just to be clear, Iā€™ve not left a review for Monzo this year and wonā€™t be doing! So if they somehow come dead last because someone made a hundred N# accounts, itā€™s not me! Scouts honour!

In all seriousness, when these things come around I personally just rate the one I like the most in that particular moment. I barely bother with the bank awards though. This year is the second review Iā€™ve ever left one since I made my account to vote for N26 that one year they were here. I much prefer the MSE polls and give those more weight because of how they work compared to the other ones out there.

But I think the disparity that always exists between two brands of the same banking entity says it all.

1 Like

Alan immediately bans N1 through N25. Then N27 through N9999 for good measure.

3 Likes

Cousin Don already made it through with N1612! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

For me, I am perfectly happy with my high streets banks because they do exactly what I want them to do easily. Itā€™s obvious they donā€™t have as many features as Starling and Monzo etc, but I really donā€™t need them to.

Iā€™ve had no issues with my banks, and I like that if there is an issue with the app, I have other ways to bank.

Itā€™s obviously very personal to everyone, but the challenger banks havenā€™t done enough for me to make the switch yet.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve asked for my salary to now be paid into my Starling account. Does anyone know roughly when it should show up on transactionā€™s list?

Monzo usually showed on a Wednesday evening for Friday pay.

1 Like

My Mrs gets paid Fridays and it shows in our joint account Thursday morning. Saying that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever checked Wednesday evening so I could be wrongā€¦

2 Likes

It should be similar, but can be different for the first one.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s always been the day prior with Starling. Monzo generally did show as you say the night before.

5 Likes

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated :+1:t3:

1 Like

Just had my wages repaid into starling. I got paid today and it showed on Tuesday.

5 Likes

Yeah itā€™s day before.

3 Likes