✅ Split a transaction into different categories

I would imagine that, now they’ve finalised the ability to merge transactions together (as they have done with the coin jar facility), it should be fairly simple (haha) for them to split transactions out to allow for multiple categories to be used, but still show the same single transaction in your main view. I guess it’s then managing the impact on the summary etc., but it feels like this ability would be a natural progression.

1 Like

I too would like the ability to split a transaction among categories so the Summary insight is then reading accurately.

I too spent at a supermarket chain recently and purchased clothing as well as groceries, however, could only record the transaction under one category.

Custom categories would be ideal for me too, though I think we may be asking too much of Monzo for all these features.

Let’s see what they add.

A HOME category is a most for me. Starling have that, but I prefer to use Monzo still.

I like to be able to read my transaction notes in my feed, not have to open each entry.

2 Likes

I don’t believe we will see custom categories anytime soon. Monzo have repeatedly been quite against them

I too would like to see the ability to both split and combine transaction information. Fingers crossed!!

1 Like

Stumbled across this after going to post much the same thing…

This type of functionality would be very useful when it comes to certain transactions, particularly credit card payments. I tend to pay off my credit card in full each month which consists of a mix of petrol, expenses, and larger shopping type transactions. At the minute all I can do is pick the primary category, or mark it as a bill payment.

I’d really like to be able to split the transaction (even if only broadly), into multiple categories e.g. £500 credit card payment = £200 transport, £200 expenses, £100 shopping.

:grinning:

3 Likes

It would be cool if you could somehow link a credit card payment with the credit card provider themselves (or forward the bill to Monzo for them to extract the info?), so Monzo would have access to the specific individual purchases that make up your payment; this way Monzo could use their existing knowledge of merchant == category, and provide a full breakdown of all the transactions w/categories assigned in that bill when you expand the bill payment. You could also change the category within there, should you need to.

This would only work if you were paying off the whole bill each month, of course!

1 Like

It would be great if there was a way to split transactions into multiple categories. Currently say if I shop at Lidl, it shows as being ‘Groceries’ although often I will buy compost or tools etc at the same time which I would prefer to allocate to ‘Shopping’. I have a set budget for Groceries which is then inaccurate if I buy non grocery items. Most months it looks as though I have overspent on groceries when a chunk of the money is actually non-grocery purchases.

5 Likes

Hi @geminii,

I’ve moved your post here as there’s already a few people chatting above it above.
Hope you find that ok :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, managed to miss that one :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can kinda do this on a macro level by sending a bank transfer to yourself. You can then categorise both sides of the transfer to debit/credit each category as required. Bit of a hassle until they sort it out but kinda works. :smile:

1 Like

So I had a thought the other day whilst buying a bottle of red wine…(always a good start)

The way I utilise the Groceries category is for anything that is part of the planned weekly food shop which is going to be used by more than one person in the family or more than once, so this would exclude the red wine as it was all for me (tough day at the office)

So say my food shop for the week was £100 and the bottle of red was £10, I wonder it it would be viable to cast £90 of the transaction as groceries and £10 as something else (in this case eating out)

That way, I can look at my summary and get a true reflection of what I have spent throughout the month and where I need to stop being impulsive when doing a big shop.

Would this be viable oh great Monzo?

4 Likes

Hi @LifeofRiley this has been raised a few times now so I’ve merged it in to the most recent post. I don’t think it’s something Monzo are planning to implement but I really hope I’m wrong!

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Thanks. At the moment to be honest I can work around it, I just pay for my wine separately and truthfully, it is making me more careful with my spending as I don’t want to smudge my categories up :joy:

2 Likes

I would love to see this option added too :blush:

1 Like

So do I. When supermarkets sell clothes and electrical goods as well as food or you want to separate food and alcohol, your categories and targets become meaningless :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I think a good idea going forward would be the possibility to be able to split one transaction between two or more categories. For example, if I visited Tesco my app would default to the groceries category but lets say I bought some sun cream (holidays) and some paracetamol (personal care) as well as my regular food shopping it would be great to be able to split the single transaction between these three categories to give a better overview.

4 Likes

Would be really good in order to split up a total payment. Often I buy alcohol and food at the same time amongst other things so it ends up giving an inaccurate spending in the groceries category

2 Likes

I suggested something similar, but excluding part of a transaction from summary. It came up when I bought a birthday card along with our food shop on the joint account and reimbursed the account. The ‘left to spend’ was then lower than the amount in the account

Have we seen any updates from Monzo reps as to whether this might be in the works? Like others I’d like to break down transactions so it shows as “Asda” in the summary but using tags I can look at “#Supermarket” or “#Food/#Wine” so see the details of what I’m spending on when in a supermarket!

I think the simplest answer the that is ‘no’ so it would be best to assume nothing is on the table at the moment. In previous discussions on categories, there has never been even a hint that this was likely to happen. Clearly I ant speak for Monzo but I have read far too much of this forum…

A great starting point would be simply to allow users to do it manually.

This was a feature that was “coming over the next months” back in 2016, but seemed to fall completely off the radar, and is never mentioned in public roadmaps. Can you give us any hope?

1 Like